lozstlouis

Nice find 47107

So what would have dragged these around this land? 47?

Most pics seem to be class 47's, but on page 49 of Jane's rail portfolios no.5 (the class 37's) there is a pic of 37024 with the stock at Stranraer.

the Blackpool trips could be correct.  i saw an image recently of an 81 or 85 hauling a set south out of Carlisle over the Settle and Coast line bridge but cannot find it right now.....either that or the coaches were being take to works for repair if they didnt receive attention at St. Rollox.

That pic was in the current Bachmann Collectors club mag.

Nice find 47107

So what would have dragged these around this land? 47?

Certainly these featured in plenty of 37-bashers' records.  I can't recall the date, but in the week of the Polmont tragedy (Monday 30th July 1984), I'm fairly sure 37067 hauled a Stranraer - Glasgow Central service formed of this stock, which we had from Ayr.  There were plenty of NB tractors about in Scotland that summer, and you were treated to Eastfield, Motherwell and Thornaby examples on those workings.

Bright yellow vestibules if I remember correctly. And manky! I remember for a while they were on the 17.12 express to Ayr, taking over from the Mk2 airconditioned "night rider" stock that had a fill in turn to Ayr. Not an improvement!

That could be this train, it would have been early evening at Ayr http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmark1/e6c322399

Paul

Certainly these featured in plenty of 37-bashers' records.  I can't recall the date, but in the week of the Polmont tragedy (Monday 30th July 1984), I'm fairly sure 37067 hauled a Stranraer - Glasgow Central service formed of this stock, which we had from Ayr.  There were plenty of NB tractors about in Scotland that summer, and you were treated to Eastfield, Motherwell and Thornaby examples on those workings.

I was on a Scottish Rover ticket at that time, the Stranraers seemed to produce a constant stream of 37/0s or 47/0s except on the day I went right down to Stranraer (47449). Did have trips behind 37132 on the 0130 Stranraer-Blackpool from Ayr(which probably was not Sealink stock), and 37253 and 47001 on the 0735 Stranraer-Glasgow from Ayr(which probably was)

Maybe I over read what it said but it seemed to imply that a new liveries appeared in 1982 which really was not the case. 

It doesn't imply it sufficiently to make the sweeping statement you made for which I honestly think you should apologise.

I was on a Scottish Rover ticket at that time, the Stranraers seemed to produce a constant stream of 37/0s or 47/0s except on the day I went right down to Stranraer (47449). Did have trips behind 37132 on the 0130 Stranraer-Blackpool from Ayr(which probably was not Sealink stock), and 37253 and 47001 on the 0735 Stranraer-Glasgow from Ayr(which probably was)

Oh 47449 was the scourge of the Highland Main Line that week as well.  Turned up during the overnight at Pitlochry at least once.  Crewe spoon filth, or so the 37 lot thought.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe I over read what it said but it seemed to imply that a new liveries appeared in 1982 which really was not the case. Sealink was a big exception to the dominating blue/grey and as for Provinical it was only when the 150s turned up did a new livery appear which was a few years after 1982

Intercity livery began to be more widely introduced  after 83, although a variation was worn  on the APTE before that. Certainly it was the model for most of the subsequent passenger sector liveries that were introduced over the following years.

What about a Peak? I saw 45 148 heading south through Durham on a special on Saturday, 31st May 1986. I took the attached picture but unfortunately it doesnt exactly show the coaches but believe me it was a rake of Sealink Mk1s.

Found this on Flickr. Presumably the same day. Is the location Sheffield? Anyone know the train details?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60854097@N06/6672564699

47623 VULCAN at Ayr in 1986  https://www.flickr.com/photos/killie65/2217730150/

47578 in 1985 http://sulzerpower.com/archivephotos/147578_StranraerHarbour_1A32_07071985_dj.jpg

Unknown spoon in Fife with the stock https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/5695784860/

47016 at Troon in 1984  http://www.worldmachine.org/trainsintroon/page_2.html

47522 in May '84 before its own celebrity days http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=1009020761000

Edited by 'CHARD

Intercity livery began to be more widely introduced  after 83, although a variation was worn  on the APTE before that. Certainly it was the model for most of the subsequent passenger sector liveries that were introduced over the following years.

definitely E ?  or did you mean P? 

What about a Peak? I saw 45 148 heading south through Durham on a special on Saturday, 31st May 1986. I took the attached picture but unfortunately it doesnt exactly show the coaches but believe me it was a rake of Sealink Mk1s.

In 83/84, some very progressive management in the ScR...resulted in TayRail... This initiative used the Sealink stock regularly to run Adexes all over the UK rail system. I travelled on several of these when I was living at Leuchars including destinations like Hull and Camarthen....I'll see if I can find some pics!!!

Later,

Stu from EGDL

It doesn't imply it sufficiently to make the sweeping statement you made for which I honestly think you should apologise.

Apologies to any one annoyed by my statement, although I do think it could have been better written.

I was referring to the statement "In 1982, sectorisation of British Rail led to a number of new liveries.." as appears on the web page linked to above.

This is actually correct, just a shame the details appear to imply the Sealink livery was applied by Provincial, but that is incorrect

On 04 January 1982 Bob Reid implemented the BR Business Sectors (Sectorisation)

London & South East (which eventually became Network SouthEast)

InterCity

Provincial

Freight & Parcels

The InterCity livery was launched at the end of 1982, with one Class 86, one Class 87, the Lakeland Pullman set and one entire HST completed 

This initial livery was slightly modified and applied to one Class 47 before the end of the year but it wasn't until the beginning of 1983 that this livery was fully introduced

By this time two HSTs had been completed, but they were hastily corrected

The Freight livery was also launched the same day, by using a brand new Class 58

The Parcels services used mainly locos hired for passenger duties and so a livery for this was deferred until the Royal Mail contract was renewed, and on completion the livery was applied from 1988

As a result locos that were likely to be transferred in the near future had Large Logo Blue applied

The LSE livery was also launched but was not well received by the travelling public

Just prior to this Sealink wanted their own livery (as the then Director knew sectorisation was coming) and the livery was applied just BEFORE sectorisation

The coaches were then allocated to Provincial, which a few days later was split into two with the subsidiary becoming ScotRail

Sadly an assessment of the rolling stock was already underway at ScotRail (and Provincial) in preparation for Sprinterisation

As a result it was decided not to immediately launch a livery, which in turn created its own issue

ScotRail was about to launch and so a modified version of the InterCity livery was used, which was intended to ease transfer of rolling stock once the Sprinters had been introduced (as the remaining stock would be withdrawn)

Sadly this didn't match any of the planned Sprinter liveries

As a consequence of the late delivery of Sprinters and impending maintenance the TransPennine coaches received this livery

Boats which for a period wore the BR emblem on their funnels since they were built by the Furness Rly which became part of the LMS...

BR Sealink began life in 1970, accordingly the Lake Windermere excursion steamers became part of and were operated by the BR Sealink empire until privatisation in 1984, so the L&HR coach was quite appropriate!

I remember seeing a Sealink rake arrive at Bristol TM in the late 80s on a relief from Glasgow.

Can't remember where they were going, but they went past TM, so Exeter at least (reliefs never ran to Taunton at the time).

I seem to recall the lakeside and Haverthwaite line gained at least one sealink coach as I'm sure I can remember seeing one there when I was younger?

Mark

I think the sealink coaches on the L&HR wore a different style of sealink livery more in keeping with the buses operated by Lancaster City Transport on sevices to link with the Isle of Man ferries at Heysham, even having the red roof.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ewood_eddie1968/4385790628/in/gallery-faversham-gallery-72157626498466715/

The only pictures I can find on Flickr seems to confirm this, albeit not very clear.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfie59/8578886800/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89542201@N03/8154404014/

Phil

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Philip Jackson said:

I have the collectors club double pack and the standard release coaches. Would BR have mixed and matched with normal livery stock? I only seem to be able to find pictures where there are rakes of 8 or more, or singles on a preserved line

35070 was used as a spare BSK at Preston for a few years. The ELR eventually bought it around 1986.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1