To’N’bridge West Yard

carlw

Way back in 1993 I joined the Furness model railway club, the first of their exhibitions I went to included Paul Wade's Model of Tonbridge. His model really caught my eye and I remember spending several hours over the 3 day exhibition glued to watching it.

At the time my dad lived in Milton Keynes and the next summer I went to see him and I bugged him to take me there on one of our days out. From those two things I always had it in my mind that if possible one day I would make my version of Tonbridge in N gauge based on a time frame of 1989-95.

That day has arrived and I have an area of 20' X 3' in my loft, so I constructed the baseboards and started planning work. This has surged forwards over the last few weeks after a conversation on here with Paul. He has kindly forwarded me a copy of the track plans and some photos taken from the top of the lighting towers. I have spent several hours playing around in the loft with points and track trying to lay out a plan that looks convincing. The track plan was altered in 1993 when they re-signaled the area, I have merged parts of both pre and post 93 to suit my plans.

Looking from the station towards the yard

post-7442-0-49063200-1424206946_thumb.jpg

Looking back towards the station end

post-7442-0-93682800-1424207028_thumb.jpg

Looking from Redhill towards the yard

post-7442-0-24608400-1424207108_thumb.jpg

Obviously as the yard is huge I have had to lose several of the sidings to make it fit. So I have taken 1 siding out of the Jubilee carriage sidings, and 4 of the through roads out of the yard. Because of this some of the angles of the sidings are wrong but it's a compromise that has to be made and I don't think it will detract from the overall feel in the end.

Please feel free to add any photos of the yard in this era to the thread as they will all help.

Carl

Edited by carlw
  • Like 12

After something Paul said I have decided to change the point layout at the station end to reflect the pre 93 layout so that the operation would give me more options.

Having only been there half a dozen times and not much moving when I was there I don't really have a great idea of how trains were shunted around or made up other than formations I can get off of photos.

The plan for the fiddle yard was for each direction to have 2 roads split like a taxi rank, the line from redhill was also going to have a line that looped round the back the to station end were I was going to have a terminal fiddle yard for the yard trains. I had left out the crossover at the Redhill end of the yard so that I can simplify operations in the fiddle yard and run the trains straight into the loop line at the back. But now knowing how the parcels were run I'm think that I might need to rethink my fiddle yard designs. I'm now thinking that I will need to have a cross over from the line towards redhill across to the line from redhill within the fiddle yard so that I can run the parcels as per prototype if I'm doing this I might as well try and add the cross over on the yard exit.

I hope all that makes sense.

Carl.

• Like 1

I have spent the last couple of hours in the loft laying track and have managed to complete the two mains at the front with cross overs and looped on around the back. I have also laid the track for the jubilee siding and their connection to the west bound main.

post-7442-0-70127800-1424702274_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Paul,

I think I have let enough room on the board edge side for the steps down. I have been using a Peco track spacing gauge for the track spacing. For the spacing of the track between the mains and the jubilee sidings I used the wider side which I think gives me and extra CM for the bridge supports. Is that first support about 4ft wide, tried counting bricks but they are not very clear.

Carl

This afternoon I have had a couple hours off between giving driving lessons so I headed back into the loft for some more track laying.

This time working on the Redhill entrance to the yard, as mentioned previously because I have had to leave a few of the sidings out some of the angles and connections don't match the real location. But I do feel it looks somewhat like the real thing. At the moment it's all going together quite quickly as what I have laid so far is straight forward. It's going to get tough when I have to lay the other end making sure that it all looks seamless.

post-7442-0-85898000-1424875630_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Lets hope the VEP tops the Hornby N gauge whishlist !!!

Not quite up to Hornbys standard, but I made this 21 years ago when I was 15. It's not to the standard I want now. It's on the wrong bogies, no shoe gear, no horns, wrong roof vents, wrong underfloor equipment to name but a few. But that was in a day when N gauge availability was lower than it is now and I was on a very low budget (Christmas and birthday money).

post-7442-0-47451200-1424960484_thumb.jpg

Edited by carlw
  • Like 3

Paul,

I think I have let enough room on the board edge side for the steps down. I have been using a Peco track spacing gauge for the track spacing. For the spacing of the track between the mains and the jubilee sidings I used the wider side which I think gives me and extra CM for the bridge supports. Is that first support about 4ft wide, tried counting bricks but they are not very clear.

Carl

Carl,

I can't find measurements but I will measure my model and get back to you.

Cheers.

Hello Carl

Watching your progress with interest.

I know Paul and his 00 model well, some of my 00 civil wagons run on it.

He was the main instigator of me modelling Southern region EMU's and engineers trains in N (Tanners Hill) .

As regard to the Pic of your VEP it still looks OK to me. perhaps it is worth another visit and a little more work doing on it.

You should perhaps be proud that you had a go and not sat around waiting for one to drop through the door.

If you are going to run the same sort of trains as Paul on your layout you are going to have a lot of kit building/ scratchbuilding to do anyway

so keep up the good work.

thanks Steve

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon I have had a couple hours off between giving driving lessons so I headed back into the loft for some more track laying.

Whenever I nip back home between lessons, my missus keeps turning up to find me in my shed!

Looking good so far.

Cheers,

Mick

Hello Carl

Watching your progress with interest.

I know Paul and his 00 model well, some of my 00 civil wagons run on it.

He was the main instigator of me modelling Southern region EMU's and engineers trains in N (Tanners Hill) .

As regard to the Pic of your VEP it still looks OK to me. perhaps it is worth another visit and a little more work doing on it.

You should perhaps be proud that you had a go and not sat around waiting for one to drop through the door.

If you are going to run the same sort of trains as Paul on your layout you are going to have a lot of kit building/ scratchbuilding to do anyway

so keep up the good work.

thanks Steve

Steve,

I'm not planning on dumping the VEP, but it will need a lot of work to bring it up to standard.

At 15 when I made it, this and a kit built CJM 73 were the pride of my fleet. I even had a go at making a EPB out of suburban coaches, but this will not see the light of day again. It was one compartment short on each coach and the cab end were scratch built and look very poor.

I have built several wagons and converted coaches using Electra graphics so this doesn't worry me. It's the painting that I need to work on, I have only ever hand painted but I'm going to need to get and Airbrush and learn how to do that to improve the quality of finish.

Thanks

Carl

• RMweb Gold

HI Carl,

I have fond memories of the CJM Class 73 kit having built several. Way ahead of their time.

Your VEP may not be perfect but it has one splendid attribute - it actually exists!

As Steve says, simply having done something, rather than just talking about it, is the key thing!

I imagine an airbrush and compressor probably costs the equivalent of 2-3 locos but I found acquiring one gave a massive boost to my modelling and in terms of pure enjoyment has long since repaid that investment. Not only is it vital for getting the best finish on pristine models but it's also essential for weathering and great for scenic work too.

If you're anywhere near Burton in May then you may wish to head to the DEMU showcase where Paul Wade's wonderful OO version of Tonbridge West Yard will be on show when I returned to the hobby as an adult in the 90s this was one of the layouts I found truly inspirational.

This is an ambitious and exciting project and I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1

HI Carl,

If you're anywhere near Burton in May then you may wish to head to the DEMU showcase where Paul Wade's wonderful OO version of Tonbridge West Yard will be on show when I returned to the hobby as an adult in the 90s this was one of the layouts I found truly inspirational.

Cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben

I do have every plan on getting to Burton. There are so many inspirational layouts there this year. To be honest as soon as I saw Paul's layout was coming out of retirement and going to be there I marked the day on the calendar. But I also wanted to see Steve's layout (Tanners Hill) I was disappointed that I wasn't able to go home to Barrow and see it last year. Also going to pop and see an old freind Kev (loch dour).

Carl

So this morning I have laid the last of the Redhill end of the main yard. Looking at how much of the board I have used doing this I might have been able to get another 2 roads in. Never mind I think the 12 I have will do.

post-7442-0-73239800-1425032515_thumb.jpg

As I'm going to need to buy some more points soon, track laying will halt soon and I will move onto doing the one job I really hate wiring. This then leads me onto something I will need some help with. Can anyone suggest a way for me to make a good mimic control panel. Previous layouts have only ever had switches in the baseboard at the rear or the layout. For this I want something a bit more professional.

Thanks

Carl

• Like 3

Hello all

Firstly Mick what are you doing in a Maccy D's- I thought you are a fussy eater????

Carl

Just been having a think about your short EPB turn one coach into test coach Mars which in real life was a converted class 501 driving trailer they were shorter than an EPB.

it survived into NSE livery. Electra do sides for it in blue/grey and NSE.

As for airbrushing I don't do that much (I know that's why my finishes are crappy) on my rolling stock as the next thing we do is weather them anyway, and try to make them look worn. if you plan on NSE livery most of it is transfers from Fox anyway.

I am not much for wiring either and that looks like a mighty lot of wiring you have to do. are you going to make the frogs live on the points for slow running?

looking good though

thanks Steve

Carl

nice project. I went to school in Tonbridge and the school cross country running route took us across the footbridge over the yard so I crossed it many times 78-85! Never time to stop and stare, we had to run. And we had to avoid the attacks from the boys of the next door school (I was ambushed at the top of the bridge once!) so I didn't hang around to watch operations. It goes without saying the footbridge is important to the look!

If you haven't seen the Kentrail site, I'd recommend having a look at the Tonbridge West Yard part of the site as this has photos and a description of the development of the yard, including the period you are looking at.