Track plan which includes milk depot/creamery

mcrook62

Hi All I am looking for a track plan that will fit in a space 3000mm long by 600mm wide with added fiddle yard must have a milk/creamery depot sidings and terminal station with run around track plus nomal things like goods road  coal stage maybe cattle dock circa 1950's

If anyone can point me in any direction that may lead to what I want I would be grateful as my eyes are going boss eyed from searching on the web.

Regards

mcrook62

This is the one I'm building that has a lot of those features, plus two shunting puzzles! It's quite a bit smaller, as explained by my unbelievable introduction, but if you put back the track that was lost when the river bridge collapsed, and stretch it a bit, it might give you some ideas!
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95749-ingletyme-a-very-puzzling-blt

Sounds like a job for CJ Freezerman!

Seriously though, Mr Freezer produced at least one (probably several but I've got a reasonably clear mental picture of one in particular) plan in the late 60s which was pretty much tailor made for your space and traffic requirements and has interesting features like the dairy siding being accessed from the loop via crossovers across platform and bay roads.

Sadly I'm currently out of reach of my RM collection and CJF planbooks and so this post is rather less helpful than it should be as I can't point to the exact location.

Don't know if this is any use, but my layout 'Sproston' is 6' 6" x 5' 1" BLT,and it has all the features you mentioned, it is set mid 50's to mid 60's. I have a blog on rmweb (here) if you wish to search for it.

I think the booklet containing the previously mentioned plan by C.J.Freezer, is published as "The PSL Book of Model Railway Trackplans" - I did use to have a copy, think its about a fiver.

Regards

SIGTECH (Steve)

Newcastle Emlyn in Wales is another possibility although the Creamery was located a short distance from the station and did not have its own sidings as far as I am aware.

Torrington is another possibilty although again the actual creamery was located a short distance away and the tankers were loaded in a modified shed. This was a Terminus up until 1925. With a bit of historical jiggling, you could assume the extension to Halwill Junction never happened.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/t/torrington/

milk4.jpg

Way back in one of the Railway Modeller magazines was a LSWR branch plan of the month based on a collection of typical LSWR branch termini features. The influence of Swanage and Lyme Regis is evident. A diary was included. If this is of interest I'll find the issue. I believe in 4mm it was designed to be built into a corner location of about 9' x 5' but the plan would adapt.

Hi

that sounds good if you find the track plan, I will be grateful.

Regards

Michael

M

Way back in one of the Railway Modeller magazines was a LSWR branch plan of the month based on a collection of typical LSWR branch termini features. The influence of Swanage and Lyme Regis is evident. A diary was included. If this is of interest I'll find the issue. I believe in 4mm it was designed to be built into a corner location of about 9' x 5' but the plan would adapt.

Aerial views of Newcastle Emlyn and Carmarthen here. You can see how far the creamery is from NE station. It was originally the workhouse.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/asearch?search=newcastle%20emlyn

They seem to have corrected the wording of the Carmarthen ones, but not the search location!

That wasn't the Carmarthen one I was thinking of- there was one next to the bridge that took the Llanelli- Carmarthen road over the railway and the Towy, operated by Unigate, IIRC.

Hi

that sounds good if you find the track plan, I will be grateful.

Regards

Michael

M

Michael,

I don't have a scanner but the plan and a 3D impression of the layout can be found in the April 1979 Railway Modeller. The designer has been a bit ambitious with the track geometry and the area needed for the track formations so I think the layout would benefit from a bit of opening up since it was designed for a 8' space along the longest length. The all important dairy is present and I've always thought it made for an appealing compact layout.

Perhaps you could get a back issue or may be some kind person here who has a copy and a scanner could do the honours.

• RMweb Premium

Michael,

I don't have a scanner but the plan and a 3D impression of the layout can be found in the April 1979 Railway Modeller. The designer has been a bit ambitious with the track geometry and the area needed for the track formations so I think the layout would benefit from a bit of opening up since it was designed for a 8' space along the longest length. The all important dairy is present and I've always thought it made for an appealing compact layout.

Perhaps you could get a back issue or may be some kind person here who has a copy and a scanner could do the honours.

There is a trackplan of Newcastle Emlyn available on the SRS website, http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwm/S2088.htm

Have a look at this index http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwdiagrams.htm#XH for other plans that are available.

They are signalbox diagrams, but give an idea of the layout at these places.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps this plan might be of use.  It does contain many of the features you mentioned.

The plan is by Alex Bowie which appeared in the now-defunct Model Railway News in March 1968.

I hope you find it useful.

Alan

post-13058-0-83345400-1427034405_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Archived