BRM APRIL 2015 ISSUE with FREE DVD!

I always enjoy the practical side, Tony in particular with his very no-nonsense attitude to it all. 

I've just got around to watching the DVD, and wondered what other people thought of this. I thought Tony's bits were fairly awful - not practical at all.

I don't get every issue, but I picked up my copy of this latest BRM last week. I watched the dvd first thing this morning and found London Road very interesting, having seen the layout a couple of weeks ago and knowing the prototype well. The item on Trains4U was also good. I called there on the way back from a job a few weeks ago, and I really do think that this sort of shop is the future of model railway stores. By the way, the magazine has some great content too!

• Administrators

Hi all,

We're really pleased you're liking BRM and the monthly DVDs. If you're thinking of subscribing, the latest subscription offer is now available on Model-Railways-Live: https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Store/1266-999/Subscriptions/FREE_Busch_Scenery_Pack/

post-14186-0-68786700-1426594597.jpg

Or, if you're going to the London Festival of Railway Modelling we're offering a superb subscription gift:

post-14186-0-12422900-1426594640_thumb.jpg

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Bought the issue for the DVD, which only just about worked. Saw half of the Copenhagen Fields video, it stopped working, then managed to get the other half to limp along as a video file - is this an allegory of the layout? I will demand a full refund from the BRM stand at Ally Pally! Managed to hear a couple of grumpy old chaps talking about the layout and predicting how I will end....

Tim

I have just had a look at it - excellent advice right from the start.  Are we looking at different dvds?

Advice is one thing, I just can't stand his style. If I recall correctly, the only practical thing he did was solder together two bits of scrap brass.

• RMweb Gold

Advice is one thing, I just can't stand his style. If I recall correctly, the only practical thing he did was solder together two bits of scrap brass.

Style is, of course, more a matter of taste and what one is used to rather than anything.  I thought it was rather good - nice clear diction in easily understood language and explained step-by-step, ideal training video material (unless you're only into the John Cleese training videos -which I happen to like as well). 

My apologies if my 'style' is not to your taste. 

As for the 'only practical thing', it's very difficult to explain fully how to prepare, solder and finish off a joint in just a short clip of a DVD. 

In my defence (believe this or not), I received a phone call the day before to see if I could present a short piece on soldering - apparently a to-be-featured-piece wasn't quite ready. I thus had little time to prepare. However, if it helped one or two folk how to tackle soldering, then it'll have been useful. 

• RMweb Premium

As a relativly new subscriber I thought the latest magazine was not quite as interesting to me personally as previous issues, but still a worthwhile read. However, I thought the DVD was excellent, especially Tony Wright's contribution on soldering - far easier to see on a DVD than in print. Looking forward to the next issue.

• RMweb Gold

With help from BRM I got the sound back on my digital copy (clicking restore purchases did the trick). With the level of (in)competence that I'm at, I found quite a bit this month that was of real use to me.

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate these basic tips as it is 25 years since I built kits etc and most of what I've done in recent years is repairing full size 4x4's and the like, which requires different skill and finesse levels from OO modelling!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I finally have a copy -- mail to Canada is slow.

I am stalled in building the Sidmouth engine shed with the roof ventilator. The article at that point (photo 7) has the wrong caption. Could Phil or someone on stff provide the correct version?

Thanks.

Archived