Devon Diesel Era Photo Record

Garry Morris

No 'Devon Diesel Record' would be complete without showing some of the native DMU's. Not sure what class these are but I notice they have different buffer styles.

A lovely shot of two of Laira's BRCW 118s - synonymous with Devon from their introduction in 1960. I particularly liked the fact that the budget for refurbishing Suburban units seemed to have run out before the 118s were tackled, so they retained their wood panelling and oval BR mirrors into the blue and grey era, unlike their 117 close cousins, which lost the wood and mirrors in favour of Formica. There was something strangely restful about a run along the sea wall in a gently swaying 118, purring along in 4th gear at 50mph.

David

• Like 3

I underestimated the amount of traffic from Ernesettle. Also on checking I see that Ambrosia rice at Lydford used short wheelbase container wagons. Thanks for the link. I wonder if nuclear warheads are stored under the hill?

I believe it's only 'conventional' stuff kept there; the nuclear stuff being dealt with at Faslane.

A lovely shot of two of Laira's BRCW 118s - synonymous with Devon from their introduction in 1960. I particularly liked the fact that the budget for refurbishing Suburban units seemed to have run out before the 118s were tackled, so they retained their wood panelling and oval BR mirrors into the blue and grey era, unlike their 117 close cousins, which lost the wood and mirrors in favour of Formica. There was something strangely restful about a run along the sea wall in a gently swaying 118, purring along in 4th gear at 50mph.

David

I have used them plenty of times over the years. In the early 1960s we had no family car so trips to the seaside at Exmouth,

Dawlish Warren or Paignton etc were made on these units. I well remember that everything seemed to rattle including windows and ashtrays, and it was great fun if you could get a seat behind the driver,

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 1

Here is one of my instamatic photos from the 1970s.

post-7081-0-35689900-1453990265.jpg

One of the Laira allocated class 118 sets P470 passes Exmouth Junction and is about to take the branch to Exmouth. Behind the DMU can be seen wagons for the Western Fuel CCD and also wagons awaiting repair in the Cariage and Wagon shops.  15/5/79.

It was along the footpath that I took this photo from that my mother used to take me in the push chair back in the early 1960s, which is presumably where I developed an interest in trucks and shunting.

cheers

• Like 7

Hybrid DMU? P470. I believe that plain blue livery meant Suburban and Blue/Grey meant Cross Country. Sadly the scissors crossover has since been rationalised. The demise of the early morning newspaper vans train probably signaled the end as it always unloaded on the down platform before running round and departing back up the branch.

post-12275-0-17531200-1454099955_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I have used them plenty of times over the years. In the early 1960s we had no family car so trips to the seaside at Exmouth,

Dawlish Warren or Paignton etc were made on these units. I well remember that everything seemed to rattle including windows and ashtrays, and it was great fun if you could get a seat behind the driver,

cheers 

I took the shot of the 118s coupled because I remember as a child always wanting to sit behind the back cab of the leading dmu when in this formation to watch the other dmu bouncing and swaying as we went along! This could be quite alarming if we had awaited a connection at Newton Abbot and made a spirited departure over the pointwork at the South end of the station heading for Paignton. There was also a regular race to Aller Junction against aforementioned connection which was always entertaining. I too remember the ashtrays, often with a screw missiing and windows that frankly needed oven cleaner. There was also unbearable heat if the heating was on and a blue pall of fumes in some dmu cars, but nothing could beat the smooth and relatively quiet ride in the centre car of a three car set!. 

• Like 3

Keeping with the dmu theme. Not Devon, but it is in the background! A Santa Special to Gunnislake enters Calstock 13.12.87. The rear unit is the yellow Telecom unit of the day. The Gunnislake line mostly sees 2 car units these days. It is rumoured that we are about to get some experimental converted tube stock, operating on the line. I don't wish to cast aspersions but at face value I can only see it as a downgrade! I believe that the journey onward from Calstock to Gunnislake is the slowest timetabled journey in the country and also within the bounds of the most expensive. A first class return to Thurso used to cost over a thousand pounds according to the press two years ago - there is ironically no first class accommodation on the current trains that work the branch! When asked about it the railway company didn't seem bothered as no-one had ever bought one! It is a tortuous climb up to Gunnislake with stops at ungated crossings around a horseshoe bend to gain height, definitely worth a trip but there is not much but a view when you arrive at the terminus unless you are a walker.

post-12275-0-77533400-1454164977_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Back into Devon then with another DMU on the same route,

post-7081-0-66798800-1454174261_thumb.jpg

Long time Laira 2 car class 118 set P480 calls to reverse at Bere Alston while working the 14.15 Gunnislake to Plymouth service, the traincrew can been seen changing ends, 22/9/80

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 11

A lovely shot of two of Laira's BRCW 118s - synonymous with Devon from their introduction in 1960. 

David

Well, yes, except that seven of the sets were sent to Bristol in 1962 and replaced with 116s made redundant in South Wales after the Eastern and Western Valleys lost their passenger services.  I have never managed to find out why the transfers took place.  The nomadic 118s returned to Laira in 1964 but some went to Reading later.

Chris

This is good news. I was talking to the duty manager at Okehampton a week or so ago and he told me that they had asked for 45060 three years in a row, and had been unlucky with it. He also said that 47701 and a 33 were due down.

Which begs the question, if they were so desperate to get one down there why didnt they use it on the Santa specials?

I was hoping get it in but it was the 47 and 33 on the train with the 45 ticking over in the other platform, I also missed it at the running day because I was working.

Edited by royaloak

Which begs the question, if they were so desperate to get one down there why didnt they use it on the Santa specials?

I was hoping get it in but it was the 47 and 33 on the train with the 45 ticking over in the other platform, I also missed it at the running day because I was working.

Pass, I imagine there must have been reasons, I was disapointed myself with the performance of the 45 on the Sunday I was behind it, never broke into a sweat with the 33 doing all the work.

Also, why was the event, which was planned months ahead, so poorly marketed, both days should have been heaving, a chance to bash three classic diesels on a line with a decent speed limit.

post-22783-0-14532600-1454453976_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Seeing the images in the Western Diversion thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94613-western-diversion/?p=2192134

I assume this is somewhere on the line to Okehampton/Meldon; the sloping bridge makes me think it's the one just beyond Okey where the road goes up to the Army camp.

Am I right? ;)

• RMweb Gold

Seeing the images in the Western Diversion thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94613-western-diversion/?p=2192134

I assume this is somewhere on the line to Okehampton/Meldon; the sloping bridge makes me think it's the one just beyond Okey where the road goes up to the Army camp.

Am I right? ;)

Other end of the line in fact.

• 2 weeks later...

Sticking with DMU's. One of the HST prototype power cars at Laira Open Day September 1985. Designated Class 41 I believe, but Laira staff would know a real class 41 if they saw one! I'm not sure if this classification was an oversight as I can't recall any other duplication of class designation. A generation will mourn the HST when it is gone; the last of the proper sized diesel engines! One of the prototypes has been restored. Not sure which one this is,or if it is the survivor. Laira open days were very popular. Will we ever see another one?

post-12275-0-91640500-1455652258_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

South Devon 

If I had to pick a location in Devon for railway photography this one would be near the top. The perfect elevation, plenty of prep time, power on, a good portion of  the train in view and the unmistakable small South Devon periglacial hills as a backdrop. This is Stoneycombe very near to the headshunt buffer stop of the quarry sidings in the days of more relaxed H&S. Now one would probably be on CCT or deemed to be in imminent danger of flying rocks but back then we had common sense and a sense of survival! I think that this is the second incarnation of BR livery on the coaching stock...Inter - City? 43189 heading the down Cornish Riviera 9th August 1985. A Laira machine? I would guess that the HST power cars will break most records in their lives. Surely some will have been allocated to Laira for 40 years maybe this is one. 

post-12275-0-81372700-1455653676_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Sticking with DMU's. One of the HST prototype power cars at Laira Open Day September 1985. Designated Class 41 I believe, but Laira staff would know a real class 41 if they saw one! I'm not sure if this classification was an oversight as I can't recall any other duplication of class designation. A generation will mourn the HST when it is gone; the last of the proper sized diesel engines! One of the prototypes has been restored. Not sure which one this is,or if it is the survivor. Laira open days were very popular. Will we ever see another one?

Weren't the 43 (production HST power cars) a duplication of 43 (NB Warship) class designation?

Is this why the HSTs first carried six figure numbers commencing 253 or 254 or did those numbers only apply to the complete train set?

That was when they were considered to be diesel-electric multiple units (2xx being the series for such things), and were intended to run as fixed formations. 253s were the original WR sets and 254s the ECML ones. I don't think this idea lasted long, as I can't remember such designations being used on the MML and Cross-Country sets.

Is this why the HSTs first carried six figure numbers commencing 253 or 254 or did those numbers only apply to the complete train set?

There were two power cars for every set number originally but sets got swapped around so it became a meaningless exercise. The 254s were ECML I believe.