Odd wagons of the UK

844fan

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

"23-ton bogie hopper wagon, No 19154, built by Charles Roberts & Co, Wakefield, 1962 for City of Sheffield Sewage Department to run between Ickles Sidings and Thryberg Tip." 

Wagon built by Chas Roberts and Co. Wakefield 1962 at Locomotion, Shildon.

Hmm, bogie? Hopper? Looks more like a side tip wagon, a large version of the Rugga tipper skip? The curved segments at the end look a giveaway, and to tip it you'd put a crane hook in that handle like fitting on the side and lift. The safety chain looks a bit delicat though. There's a photo of several somewhere else on RMWeb - in the industrial steam topics perhaps, used for coal mine waste iirc - one has odd wheels too - maybe prototype for anything? 

• Like 1

Looking at the previous photo on flickr, a contributor states it's a side tip. Looking at the lever close up I think it's just a link on the end of the safety chain, with an L shaped pin you draw to release the end of the chain prior to tipping. The L shaped pin is on a light keeper chain. There is also a loop handle (pull out?) to the left and further left a catch of some sort. Would be interesting to know how the whole lot worked.

There is a photo on Paul Bartlett's site in the internal user private section showing a similar wagon. Also some photos on web of similar wagons at Esholt sewage works, though they are captioned hopper. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

"23-ton bogie hopper wagon, No 19154, built by Charles Roberts & Co, Wakefield, 1962 for City of Sheffield Sewage Department to run between Ickles Sidings and Thryberg Tip." 

Wagon built by Chas Roberts and Co. Wakefield 1962 at Locomotion, Shildon.

Built for the conveyance of Sewage Sludge from the sewage works to where it was tipped, these being worked over the BR mainline between the two! There were also some built by Hudson but non of these survive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/02/2024 at 19:43, Artless Bodger said:

There's a photo of several somewhere else on RMWeb - in the industrial steam topics perhaps, used for coal mine waste iirc

I posted this one in the Interesting Photos on Flickr thread.

4850208579_782ed082f3_b.jpgTip run by Kevin Lane, on Flickr

Spoil from Dunaskin Washery being propelled towards Minnevey for tipping, on the NCB Waterside system in Ayrshire, in January 1978.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1