RMweb

Wheal Tiny - heading north...

• RMweb Premium

Pah. Proper lads just did it in a dark corner, up here in the land of the Barnsley seam.   A local ex pitman told me that one of the first things a student (student being the term for brand new lad) learned was not to leave yer snap tin in a dark corner!

This is probably why almost all of the pits are now closed. 

I often wondered why they sealed up the pits when they closed; now I know why.

M. Thatcher.

Edited by Mallard60022

Well done!

When I first suggested this little charmer as a key item to keep the mine running comfortably, I wasn't aware of your previous forays into the murky world of conveniences -  I'm now better informed.

Just mind you don't get any infection in that damaged finger.

Nice bit of work.

Steve W.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Underground lights connected, working and burning anyone within a 3ft radius - makes track cleaning a trifle challenging.

Underground loco, based on a Tenshodo - pile of pants.

Ground level loco -working fine. The dock shunter idea was scrapped as the oversize flanges didn't work on the Code 75 rail.

Grasswork mainly done, roof on winding house nearly done.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Being an Ar*e I hadn't twigged that this is a layout going to Bartubby...........doh!

Were the underground trains called Paddys down Kernow?

Have a good day mate. It should have stopped persisting by now.

Phil

Very good; I can almost smell it

From experience of these things, there is no "almost" involved.... :P

On a serious note, an enquiry into the prevalence of a variety of diseases among miners at Wheal Dolcoath in the late 1800s attributed a whole range of them to the general disregard of sanitation in the mine.

• RMweb Gold

Following the exposure of the layout at Barnstaple, what struck me was the number of viewers who were interested in the hoist.

So, this is an idea I've got for Wheal Medium.

Again, this will be 7mm scale, 16.5mm gauge.

Each of the three points is sprung to be open one way. On the left is a wagon hoist, bringing up full wagons from the mine. On the right is a wagon tipper, dropping the mined goods into a standard gauge wagon.

Each siding of the three spurs will be long enough to hold a loco and two wagons. The 'trains' will circle the track in a clockwise motion. 

post-7025-0-68576800-1438346574_thumb.gif

So, a full wagon arrives at the hoist. The loco, which is pulling an empty wagon, pulls it out , reversing into the top spur, then, pushes the wagon to the tippler. The loco then reverses from the tippler, pushing the empty wagon to the hoist. The loco will then use the upper spur, then pick the now empty wagon from the tippler, and the whole sequence begins again.

The standard gauge wagon will have a false floor, so never actually becomes full. The mined goods will drop into a large hopper in the under ground section, to refill the wagons which will be returned to the hoist, to be taken up to the ground level.

This is just a bit of thinking aloud - there is no intention, as yet, to actually build this...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

This is just a bit of thinking aloud - there is no intention, as yet, to actually build this...

Supposing, all three points were Y points. The model could go on a circular baseboard with a turntable like a lazy susan. No backscene, but rather taper the landscape down to a feather edge all round. View from any angle. No point controls = very simple controls, I think three pairs of wires for the whole layout. I like this, something different but still very much in the Carl Arendt mould?

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

If it gets built, the triangle will be as small as possible, so Y points would probably be used, unless I venture into hand built track.

What the plan doesn't show is the lower level, as Wheal Tiny has, so a rotating baseboard is not practical, although as you suggest for a single layer layout it would be quite impressive.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks.

The wall is a Pikestuff HO kit, raised on some SEF bricks and painted with nothing more than dirty turps...

The lamp and the drums have helped set the scene, but I think it needs a bit more clutter.

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

What does Wheal Tiny produce?

As a general comment on Cornish mines, they typically produced fairly low volumes of heavy ore which would then be processed on site. Some larger setts (particularly in the Camborne area) had narrow gauge tramways which carried run-of-mine ore to the crushers. Looking at Wheal Medium, a stamps mill might be an interesting feature in place of, or in conjunction with the wagon tipper, instead of the SG siding? These were often fairly small and driven by a separate beam engine.

Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Gold

What does Wheal Tiny produce?

As a general comment on Cornish mines, they typically produced fairly low volumes of heavy ore which would then be processed on site. Some larger setts (particularly in the Camborne area) had narrow gauge tramways which carried run-of-mine ore to the crushers. Looking at Wheal Medium, a stamps mill might be an interesting feature in place of, or in conjunction with the wagon tipper, instead of the SG siding? These were often fairly small and driven by a separate beam engine.

Pasties.

Ah, I thought the name of this layout was familiar!
I recall seeing the layout at the Captain's SWAG do
I also recall being impressed with the concept, and really liked the wagon lift

Glad to see you're revisiting / re-vamping the layout Stu - nice to see one of your many layouts with a new lease of life :)

Pasties.

Sadly I have come across some pastys pasties (which one is it?) that might have come from the depths of Wheal Tiny.  Some resembled its namesake; they were small albeit with a big price and as hard as the actual ore.  Perhaps they went to the same crusher!!

Brian.