Any 1/48 scale UK ng locos?

JimF51

• RMweb Gold

Nothing aware of as it's all usually 1:43. There have been some good bashes of the Bachmann On30 locos into colonial and UK ish prototypes though. Paul (NGtrains) has posted some on their club layout thread somewhere.

Interesting to see that Glenorchy are switching from 1:34 to 1:48 scale. I assume this is in response to the popularity of Bachmann 0n30 in New Zealand. I wonder if anybody else will be producing NZ models in this scale.

• RMweb Premium

There have been some good bashes of the Bachmann On30 locos into colonial and UK ish prototypes though. Paul (NGtrains) has posted some on their club layout thread somewhere.

One example can be found here - modifications to the Bachmann Mogul 2-6-0

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Gallery/Mogul%20Mods/mogul_mods.htm

I have been doing kit design recently in 1:48 scale for New Zealand, the first one was the Ruston & Hornsby 48DS for gauges less than standard (3'6" or 2' in NZ). This will be marketed by Glenorchy Models in NZ, I don't know if it is available yet but it would suit On30.

The 48DS design was only suitable for gauges down to 3ft 0ins, and the narrow gauge version, the quite different looking 48DL (or later the LAT/LBT), would have been supplied for 2ft 6ins gauge (i.e. OOn30). It would be possible to reproduce 3 ft 0 ins gauge in ¼ inch scale by using P4 (18.83 mm) track as the actual scale equivalent is 19.05 mm.

The early Ruston 48DS had a semi-open cab design, the enclosed cab incorporated in this kit being introduced during the course of 1949. W/N 269600, which was a 3ft 6ins gauge version which went to South Africa, may have been the first with the enclosed cab as it left the R&H works some months later (in 8/1949) than the rest of its W/N batch compatriots, often an indication of a modified loco.

Archived