Painting locomotives without (much) paint.

Mine did arrive, and have only given it a quick look through, as I have to head out for a bit. But from that look, I have to second Michael's statement.

BG, not sure how any of this works. Was going to suggest perhaps all printing is done over here, but as Michael has received his, guess that's not the case.

Jim Flynn

Peter, haven't had a full read through yet, but what little I have skimmed, I think it will definitely be useful, and in more ways than one.

My interest in WW II modelling re-surfaced a few months ago, and have been catching up all that has changed in the last 20+ years. One thing I have found is that I would most likely have to make my own decals if I wanted a few different vehicles of the same unit. I'm going, in the near future, explore your methods for doing these markings, as opposed to having decals made. I'd do decals myself, but much is in white, which basically rules that out.

Jim Flynn

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Peter,

My copy landed a few hours ago and has been read cover to cover. I have had some success previously  in creating some LNWR wagon plates. I finished up using excel as I am a commercial manager it was the programme I was most familiar with, this was after fails in Paint and Publisher.

I am looking forward to trying the Serif Pageplus programme you've recommended.

This has been duly downloaded and installed. I'm assuming the free version is adequate?

I'd never manage anything beyond a simple rectangular plate using excel!

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience in a clear concise manner.

Angus

• Like 1

I use a version of PagePlus that was given away as a free offer to members of the Campaign for Real Ale about five years ago! It was the out of date version then and no doubt Serif wanted people to then upgrade to the latest version in which case they were out of luck with me, this does all I need. 

If you can find a free version then go for it, you won't need anytyhing more.

Peter

I have my copy and have read it....
I'm not totally convinced about using paper, especially in scales less than 7mm, it's not decals, 
BUT I think there are some interesting ideas in there, and the one I am particularly interested in is the planking and through PagePlus, fading it as an overlay to lettering etc., using the 'Transparency' buttons in the top RH corner of the PagePlus screen.

I always thought, when I had a career, that if I went to a meeting and came back with one good (let alone 'very good') idea, the meeting was well worth attending.  As those meetings probably cost well in excess of £200, and the book was £10.95 (incl p&p), then ALL the criteria is met.

As Peter says at the end.. "If just once in a while reading this book, you've said to yourself 'I'd have never thought of that'..... I'm content'.  Thankyou... Well done Peter

• Like 4

Lets not forget it was this topic by Peter that made me think again about using decals (not paper) and the resultant PO's I did, shown in entries 76 & 78 (on page 4).

And I've still got to get my Pantechnican sorted, I may well do that in paper... 

Re. PagePlus, that was easy to find a free download of the software from Serif - about 285Mb's - without having to update at some stage with £'s.

EDIT :- What I forgot to mention* in post #135, was that ALSO the idea of printing off the coach compartment 'furnishings' as a strip > photo's, seating (in class colours), flooring, seating and the photo's on opposite side.

Now I would not probably do it as one strip, BUT I like the idea and will use it for the remaining 12 coaches I have to finish off.

* Because the 6.30pm Dinner Gong had gone, and in this matriachal household that really does mean ......

'It's dinner time, come now, or retrieve it from the bin'.....  

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

I have my copy and have read it....

I'm not totally convinced about using paper, especially in scales less than 7mm, it's not decals, 

BUT I think there are some interesting ideas in there, and the one I am particularly interested in is the planking and through PagePlus, fading it as an overlay to lettering etc., using the 'Transparency' buttons in the top RH corner of the PagePlus screen.

I always thought, when I had a career, that if I went to a meeting and came back with one good (let alone 'very good') idea, the meeting was well worth attending.  As those meetings probably cost well in excess of £200, and the book was £10.95 (incl p&p), then ALL the criteria is met.

As Peter says at the end.. "If just once in a while reading this book, you've said to yourself 'I'd have never thought of that'..... I'm content'.  Thankyou... Well done Peter

I have my copy too and agree with Penlan - the overlay idea is great!  I have done quite a few printed coach sides and, in conjunction with a Silhouette (or similar) cutter, some complex designs can be produced.  I use Photoshop Elements, because that is what I am familiar with, and suspect that your ideas, which are based on the Serif software, should work with other software.  As others have commented, it's fairly easy to find free versions of the Serif program on the web but it does mean learning a different interface, so I'll probably stick with what I know.

• Like 2

I installed the latest free version of PagePlus, and it's a bit different to the version in the screen shots in the book. The only PagePlus specific thing in the book seemed to be how to make curves, as the program doesn't have a facility for doing them, so I don't think it matters what software you use. I'm sticking with Inkscape and GIMP, as my aim is to use this technique to produce the paint layers for models I produce on my Silhouette.

Now I've got PagePlus, I'll probably just use it for desktop publishing, which is what it was created for, and what I used it for many years ago when it first came out.

• Like 1

I think the main thing I have gained is that there are other ways of doing things, and I had a look at PagePlus, but I admit I shall be sticking with PaintShopPro and Excel for most of my needs.  I think the tuition time might be better spent elsewhere.

Excel I use for printing from where ever possible, because in Excel page 'Setup', you can scale (Scaling) the output to your needs.  At present I'm working with zoom at 200% and printing out at 28% scaling for a pantechnican - but it's showing up that I probably need a better printer.

BUT, there are ideas along the lines "I hadn't thought of that" in Peter's book, even for the LNWR insignia in coach toilet windows - As well as the ideas I found earlier in this thread. 

• Like 1

I used Page Plus in the first place because it was free! 

Ah, yes, Free.  That is a mighty incentive.   I well recall the days of Shareware and Dos.  

In fact I now realise how old I'm getting, I was using Fortran and Cobol in the 1960's.

I can't remember the last software I paid for, and the only times I have problems are with things like Windows when it's is updated, I can't find new drivers for some of my old programmes.  I had a scanner way back in the day (before 386? was that Dos?) A 'Black Widow' scanner, I still haven't found anything on the domestic market to replace it for quality, yet.

For me the best Word programme was Word 98 (or was it 97, and you have been able to do that with 2000 too) you could float pictures anywhere on the page, now they have to be in Text Boxes. Even my PaintShopPro 8 is apparently old hat, yet I preferred version 5, found it a lot easier to use.

The worst thing I ever did was upgrade to Windows10!

Peter

Our local. 'Computor Chris', put a note up on the Village Notice Board...

"DON'T upgrade to Windows 10,

without seeing me first,

Otherwise all bets are OFF".

'Computor Chris' looks after the local PC's etc.,

• Like 1

The worst thing I ever did was upgrade to Windows10!

Peter

Providing you're quick, you can revert to where you came from - I went back to Windows 7 when I found there were no drivers for my video card, scanner, and loads of other smaller niggles! 

I still keep Windows XP on my workroom desktop (dual boot with W7) because it simply gets on with the job, with no unnecessary gimmicks and frills :)  But then, I too go back to the days of Fortran.

I did the update to 10 on my older laptop, it is pretty baic, no extra graphics card and such. Has been stable, works fine.

My better laptop is a Alienware, with high end, for it's time, graphics card, as well as a high end wifi card. I have attempted 3 times, now, to go to Win 10. The first time, all seemed well, but after a week, it no longer aw the graphics card. So, revereted to 7. Read up on it, then gave it another go. This time, didn't see the gc at all. Back to 7. I then read, one must give the computer 15 to 30 minutes, without being used, AFTER it tells you that you are updated. Seems Win 10 continues silently in the back ground getting drivers and such.

Ok, so tried that. Never bothered to find out if it worked, as it had dropped a good number of my desk top icons, and a few of the programs.

So, I am back to 7, and really have no plans to try again. Why fix something that ain't broke, anyway? LOL

Jim Flynn

• Like 1

Just to show that engines don't have to be yellow to be decorated like this (!), here's the Saltdean brewery shunter. John Dale had an Ixion loco he no longer wanted so a deal was done and here she is as she arrived.....

23444693346_7e67c10b1b_b.jpg

She looks far too dull for a loco in 1888 when she would have been brand new and well looked after. 

I drew up some panels and printed them off on gloss photo paper...below is the engine with them glued in place, and with the wheels and rods painted.

23102884849_6aa43f7f3d_b.jpg

It's a shame the number 1 comes right behind that pipe!

Here she is finished, though I might add lined panels to the footplate valance and the steps.

23444695636_6440af362b_b.jpg

22843720723_f127965189_b.jpg

I need to add some Archers rivets now, once the varnish has been given overnight to dry.

Peter

• Like 7

I need to add some Archers rivets now, once the varnish has been given overnight to dry.

To the cab? There are also a lot of other changes needed to take it back to the correct date. For the early 1900s, I ought to change the smokebox door, and replace the sand boxes with new ones above the footplate, as well as heavy riveting on the cab. Before that, I think the wheels and coupling rods are wrong, plus various other things. I've seen more details somewhere on RMweb. For my 1905ish light railway, I think the directors may have been accompanied to the Hudswell Clarke factory by their friend HG Wells, who on learning that there were no locos available in stock, leapt into his time machine and brought one back from the 1920s!

I know there are lots of things wrong but frankly I just want a ready to use engine, I've enough to do building the layout! It will look fine lurking at the back in the brewery sidings. I've added the valancing and steps and also put panels on the toolbox and cab sides. More pictures tomorrow!

I've put rows of rivets around the smokebox and the front of the saddle tank but to be honest you barely notice them. 

Peter

• Like 1

That's why I bought mine, as I was getting bored waiting for the Terriers to appear. As it turned out, I only got the layout working a few days before the Terriers arrived anyway!

As you've just added paper panels, do the edges show in real life, as they are visible in the photos? Or will you be doing something that hides them? I was wondering if I could do something similar to mine, which is black, for a fictitious Robertsbridge & Pevensey Railway livery, that has a bit of a Colonel Stephens influence, but wasn't sure where to start.

It's too gloomy to take pictures today, it will have to wait until I get back from the Reading trade show.

John, all you can do to hide the edges is paint them....it looks fine on the layout, but the daylight does highlight the edges. 

Peter