Painting locomotives without (much) paint.

Finally, I may as well take this chance to say that I am writing a book (following the suggestion on this thread) which goes into a lot more detail about the technique; it should be available in a month or so. 

Peter

I knew there was a good reason for not rushing into trying these techniques. I'll have to schedule a suitable building project for just after publication!

• Like 1

Peter,

Does your book 'Using Printed papers in Railway Modelling' give simple details and instructions on how to create printed wagon sides, adjust the colours, etc

If not, does the next book offer this facility.

I ask because I have tried to create same using both Word and Published and can't get my head round it. My results are pathetic!

I ask because I have tried to create same using both Word and Published and can't get my head round it. My results are pathetic!

Neither of those programs are intended for that sort of thing. I use GIMP and Inkscape, which are both free, although I haven't got as far as "painting" anything with wheels yet.

Peter's book 'Using Printed papers in Railway Modelling' doesn't cover this, it is all on using paper textures for structures, which is he preferred method for all the structure he does. Which, I might add, are stunning.

He has stated above he is doing a new book on the method show in this thread.

Hopefully available in a month or so.

Jim F

Having cruelly exposed your slightly non-standard lining on Dieppe, with regard to the smokebox, perhaps I can make amends with this detail from a sister LBSC Single, Norwood, which is  lined exactly as you have done it.

post-189-0-07428200-1446199681_thumb.jpg

At least, if any other smart Alec like me tries to criticise, you have an answer.

• Like 2

Really have enjoyed viewing your achievements and I will await the book with interest.

Not a 7mm modeller, but, what I see causes me to paraphrase Arnold: "I want your loco, your coaches and your model railway"

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, folks, the book I had no intention of writing will be available later on today from Amazon, covering everything discusssed on this thread but in greater detail. 

22524079799_41c9150536.jpg

The chapters cover decorating simple open wagons, more complex goods stock, PO wagons, coaches, a modern railcar, locomotives and RTR loco's. There are 86 pages and the price is £10.95. 

I will also have copies available on my Kirtley Model Buildings stand at 0 Gauge trade shows. 

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 4

Book ordered, Amazon tells me I will have it tomorrow, here in the US. As I hate to paint, though I do it when I have to, am really looking forward to trying some of Peter's methods.

Jim Flynn

Just had an e-mail from Amazon to say the estimated arrival date is November 17th. Will your 1 day, or my 7, prove to be the most accurate?

just took a peek at my order info, the date has been changed to Thursday, the 12th. Since tomorrow is a national holiday over here, I wondered, so that explains the change. Whether it does get her the 12th remains to be seen.

Jim Flynn

• RMweb Gold

Book Duly ordered!

I've been struggling recently to create wagon number plates, hopefully this will help.

I managed some simple rectangular plates but need to tackle the more complex shapes.

According to the tracking, mine is out with my mail carrier, along with a book on the British Recce Corps during WW II (for a different hobby interest). Should be here early to mid afternoon. Wife is off to daughter's for a couple of days, so plenty of reading time. :)

Jim Flynn

• Like 1

So you live several thousand miles away, and yours is on its way, but Amazon haven't even processed my payment yet, as they won't be sending the book for a while. Strange old world isn't it! I assume they're printed on demand, and the system is more efficient on your side of the pond.