Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Mark 2 FK Question

tiger

Hi all

Quick question for an N-gauge modelling project - I'm investigating how easy it would be to convert a Farish Mk 2a FK to an early Mk 2. I originally posted this on the Yahoo BR Coaching Stock Forum, but didn't get any answers...

Can anybody confirm the dimensions of the windows on the early Mk 2 Corridor First coaches built in 1964, which were the first batch of production Mk 2 vehicles? (Coaches in the number range 13361-13433) These differed from the rest of the Mk 2 -Mk 2c vehicles in having 4-piece sliding saloon window ventilators (similar to Mark 1 stock) rather than the 3-piece arrangement which became standard. 

I have a vague recollection that the window apertures may have been 6' 0" wide on the FK compared to 6' 6" wide on all other Mk 2 stock (or was that 8' 0" on the FK and 8' 6" on the others - as you can see I am confused!). Was there also a difference in window height? Also - looking at photos - the windows seem to be less rounded at the corners in the early Mk 2 FK, compared to later builds. I'm sure this information is in Harris's book, but my copy is not available to me currently. There is definitely a difference between the window size of the prototype Mk 2, no 13252, and production vehicles, but I can't work out where the production Mk 2 FK fits in.

Here are some links to pictures:

Mk 2 FK:

E13423 Mark 2 FK

5943600015_ed689b615f_z.jpg

E13423 Mark 2 FK
This was withdrawn in Ely yard for a time.

Preview by Yahoo 

Lone survivor of this batch of early Mk 2 FK (wouldn't it be great if this was preserved eventually?) (Not sure why the thumbnail shows a 444, but the link should work correctly)

ADB 975290 'TEST CAR 6' Eastleigh Works 23rd March 2012

eastleighworks23rdmarch201218_small.jpg

ADB 975290 'TEST CAR 6' Eastleigh Works 23rd Mar...
<< Previous Index Next >> ADB 975290 'TEST CAR 6' Eastleigh Works 23rd March 2012 Photo album created with Web Album Generator

Preview by Yahoo 

Production Mk 2a FK:

Mk2A FK W13465

5246781063_2625d8165c_z.jpg

Mk2A FK W13465
Mk2A FK W13465 at Birmingham New Street on 30/06/84. I've uploaded shots of W13465 before, albeit taken on a different date, but this one shows the corridor si...

Preview by Yahoo 

Prototype Mk 2 FK:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/elettra1143/7046128371/

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom

Sorry cant help with dimensions but....

Heres another phot of one in traffic though behind 837 third pic down - has been suggested its the prototype...

http://www.miac.org.uk/class42.html#brd837

Those lucky passengers.....!!!!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Windows that line up with the seats, luxury indeed!

I can't give detailed info but the windows can not have been 8' wide. There would not be room for any pillars.

I do recall drawings appearing in RM at the time of Mk2 intro but I don't know which types. Modern Railways (still Trains Illustrated then?) would certainly have covered it in some detail.

The Harris book says they were 4ft 8.5in on the first FKs as opposed to 5ft on the rest of the Mk2s but my feeling is if that was the case it would show up more at the centre door on the corridor side.

Edit: looking at the photos I think the edge of the window relative to the door is in the same position on both versions, the larger window has resulted in the pillar the other side being narrower on the 2a and all the other pillars look slightly narrower as well.

The very first Mk.2FK was very different in a number of respects and the windows were the same width as Mk.1s, 4 foot, so no window spacing adjustment was needed on the corridor side. All later Mk.2 FKs had wider windows, so those adjacent to the corridor intermediate door were moved away from the door by a few inches so there was enough structural strength to absorb the impact of the door slamming and to get the pillars in! There is a question on the width of the Mk.2 (as opposed to Mk.2a) FKs. The sliding vents were obviously different (4 element against 3 element) but whether they were less than the standard 5 foot is open to debate. I don't believe any of them have survived; sprayed blue asbestos insulation wouldn't have helped their long-term chances for preservation.

I don't believe any of them have survived; sprayed blue asbestos insulation wouldn't have helped their long-term chances for preservation.

All of lot 30733 and 30749 have gone only 13396 is left from lot 30734, as 975290 shown in the above photo.

Thanks for all the replies.

My own vague recollection of the Harris book, plus visual inspection of photos, was that the original Mk 2 FK had narrower windows, compared to the Mk 2a FK and other Mk 2 - 2c (although not as narrow as the Prototype).  Thanks for confirming this giz.

Looks like the conversion of a Farish Mk 2a FK to a Mk 2 would be more complicated that merely replacing the window sliders into 4 parts - although maybe not may people would notice!

Supplementary question - were any Mk 2a FK ever fitted with disc air brakes for the Edinburgh-Glasgow class 27 operated push-pull service? I know a small number of Eastern region Mk 2a TSO did, to supplement the original disc braked early Mk 2 fleet, in the late 1970s.

Kind regards

Tom

Archived