Potential for Hornby S&DJR models

NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

March 1966 saw the closure of the S&D.

It struck me that Hornby could mark the anniversary with a couple of S&D based models...

Black five could be released as 44839 or 45440, both long standing Bath locos....

A further run of the Maunsell three pack, perhaps in Crimson and cream as set 393 or 396?

Further run of Standard 4mt 4.6.0....75071/72/73...

How about Battle of Britain ' Biggin Hill' to go with the already scheduled 'Bude' to run THAT special....

Their 4F as 44422, long standing S&D resident....

Their 2P as 40634.......

Just a thought...

Rob

Hornby has had a fondness for the S&DJR. The idea of a commemorative trainset of closure of the line is a nice idea - particularly based on existing tooling, as a limited edition item.

I do think the market for these things is quite small. Hornby seemed to struggle to sell the Olympics tie-in trainsets - even the GWR one* which I think had a wider appeal than an S&DJR closure commemoration. 

* People had issues with the pricing given the Churchward County had been moved to RAILROAD.

Having said all that, I'd love to see some S&DJR items. A S&DJR brake van would be really nice.

I'd also like to see them make four or six-wheel coaching stock in Prussian Blue. They could put them in trainsets with the Jinty - not prototypical perhaps, but commercial.

The main reason I suggest the short stock is that these would be an excellent Edwardian replacement for the ghastly four-wheeled coaches and it would be nice to have them based on *something* prototypical.

I wouldn't object if Hornby turned them out in all manner of liveries representing other railways, even if they are not strictly prototypical. I think the S&DJR six-wheelers are a good proxy for a lot of Edwardian short coaching stock - far better than Hornby's current four-wheelers.

How about:

"the gas axe set".. a Hymek on a civil engineers train with some damaged track ? :-)

"weight limits don't matter any more set" with 35013 Blue Funnel with Maunsell coaches.

"the last train set" including a Jinty and a burnt out evercreech signal box

Last one would just involve a spot of rebadging of the "Somerset Belle" set and the inclusion of a Dapol signal box.....  (matches not included)

"Seriously" though, the Jinty is current and they could always resurrect the blue 2P as a boxed set with some approximate coaches.

Or perhaps issue a "Pines Express" set of green Mk1s, hauled by Evening Star.

• RMweb Gold

Last one would just involve a spot of rebadging of the "Somerset Belle" set and the inclusion of a Dapol signal box.....  (matches not included)

"Seriously" though, the Jinty is current and they could always resurrect the blue 2P as a boxed set with some approximate coaches.

Or perhaps issue a "Pines Express" set of green Mk1s, hauled by Evening Star.

The advent of laser-cut wood and card building kits provide less toxic options for burning signal boxes........

The 2P in BR livery with a crimson/cream Maunsell 3-set is the obvious (uncompromised) possibility for a train pack (cash waiting). 

Incidentally, the Pines employed LMR stock, so maroon Mk.1s rather than green.

John

How about:

"the gas axe set".. a Hymek on a civil engineers train with some damaged track ? :-)

"weight limits don't matter any more set" with 35013 Blue Funnel with Maunsell coaches.

"the last train set" including a Jinty and a burnt out evercreech signal box

The Maunsell coaches were all long gone by the time a Merchant Navy ran over the line.

A further run of the Maunsell three pack, perhaps in Crimson and cream as set 393 or 396?

I'd prefer a Maunsell 3 set in green as set no 398, the last one withdrawn. From observation I think BR Green coaches sell better than Crimson & Cream ones. You can still find CC Maunsells for sale but never BR Green ones. The same applies to Hawksworths, CC ones but not Maroon ones.

I don't think the S&D Std 4s 75071/2 sold quickly either. It's difficult to tell why, possibly because they were produced in pre mid 1960 condition with a single chimney and early emblem. I produced my own 75071 by renumbering a Hornby 75070, already with double chimney and late crest, so it's correct for a '60s layout.

• RMweb Gold

I do like the look of the double chimney on the 4MT. Seems to give the front end a bit of purpose. I prefer the fifties ( though I ignore 1958.......) but I am partial to a rebuilt Bulleid Pacific...

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I'd prefer a Maunsell 3 set in green as set no 398, the last one withdrawn. From observation I think BR Green coaches sell better than Crimson & Cream ones. You can still find CC Maunsells for sale but never BR Green ones. The same applies to Hawksworths, CC ones but not Maroon ones.

I certainly wouldn't argue with your assessment of the relative popularity of the various liveries, but they've already done a set in green.

John

It struck me that Hornby could mark the anniversary with a couple of S&D based models...

Black five could be released as 44839 or 45440, both long standing Bath locos....

How about Battle of Britain ' Biggin Hill' to go with the already scheduled 'Bude' to run THAT special....

Their 4F as 44422, long standing S&D resident....

Their 2P as 40634.......

Just a thought...

Rob

Rob, stop thinking........

You know it does you no good you know!

N

Incidentally, the Pines employed LMR stock, so maroon Mk.1s rather than green.

John

C'mon, we're talking Hornby here!  It'll be Railroad standard so you'd get whatever they had a surplus of.......

I certainly wouldn't argue with your assessment of the relative popularity of the various liveries, but they've already done a set in green.

John

Yes, but as a 60-61 modeller I need more than one 3-set and the last Crimson & Cream sets were repainted/withdrawn well before then.

• 1 year later...

Doubt if there will be any special sets, any theme for a while, given how badly they have sold before. For an S&D special, Bachmann could do a better job. They have the S&D locos, and could use the old Mainline coaches in blue. It would need a shop or a group to fund it though. Even then sales have not been that good on other sets. Best thing would be for someone to test the water with a crowdfunding campaign.

Just a thought...

Rob

Sorry Rob. The S&D has never shut.  :fool: 

Most of it is still operational, although that's partly due to a deviation around Darlington. 

Hornby have now done a genuine north eastern model which did ply its trade along S&D lines. I cant wait for the late crest model Q6.  :thankyou:

Thankfully though, the thread topic has S&DJR.  :protest:

• RMweb Gold

Thankfully , with the exception of the odd (!!) B1 into Bath Green Park and B12 on wartime ambulance trains, the Late and Never Early Railway did little to darken the Somerset and Dorset....

• RMweb Premium

A daft question, we know Hornby have the moulds for the low windowed Maunsell coaches, is there any way of telling Hornby there is still demand there?

Don't Hornby have a forum on their website for requests?

I too would like to see further runs of the S&DJR three coach pack. It seems odd that Hornby don't feel it would sell when that first run sold out pretty quickly as far as I remember.

Thankfully , with the exception of the odd (!!) B1 into Bath Green Park and B12 on wartime ambulance trains, the Late and Never Early Railway did little to darken the Somerset and Dorset....

So tempted - so I will ask the same question again - why ('thankfully')???

Sorry Darren, but I have to ask - why ??

I’m with Darren on this one, sort of. It’s not of much relevance to the S&D or even the S&DJR but I have a soft spot for D1s, E1s and L1s. Less ornate than the Ds, Es and Ls, they have a clean and modern appearance and delivered a better performance with little increase in weight. A good job done by Maunsell, IMHO.

I’m with Darren on this one, sort of. It’s not of much relevance to the S&D or even the S&DJR but I have a soft spot for D1s, E1s and L1s. Less ornate than the Ds, Es and Ls, they have a clean and modern appearance and delivered a better performance with little increase in weight. A good job done by Maunsell, IMHO.

OK, I don't dispute that, but what's the link with this thread (locos that ran on the S&DJR) ??

Great topic!

34057 Biggin Hill, oh yes! But that special needs Bulleid coaches.

So how about a new-tooling, full-fat super-detail spec 2P. Years overdue, either for LMS/LMR fans or for S&D.

One of dozens of possible train pack ideas then.

Ivo Peters Vol. 2 Plate 139: 11/05/1957, 3.20pm down stopping Bath-Templecombe near Twinhoe.

2P No. 40700 old crest with Maunsell 3-car set 393 in blood/custard (this set has already had a mention).

Archived