Llanfair PG

Well this morning after dropping my car off for repair at Star, I decided to have a train ride on a stretch of line I'd never been on before!!! Yes, I have lived in N Wales all my life, but have never travelled on a train any further West that Llandudno Junction!!! It'd never even crossed my mind until I purchased my tickets on-line yesterday afternoon.

After dropping the car off, a brisk walk for about a mile to Llanfair PG station, where was found some very short platforms, 2 or 3 car DMU size!!

Anyway the Station building survives but it is closed up, but they still have the Hot Dog on the wall with the full name on it!!!

post-14906-0-35373900-1434540862_thumb.jpg

And on the other platform is the full name on an ATW sign.

post-14906-0-36444400-1434540876_thumb.jpg

A view on the UP direction shows the crossing, and the need for the weed killing train (this is a main line!!!)

post-14906-0-68707700-1434540889_thumb.jpg

A view from the footbridge shows the crossing keepers office, I'm not sure if it's in use but the crossing gates were closed manually.

post-14906-0-48821000-1434540902_thumb.jpg

I spotted this contraption against the outside rail, I'm presuming it's something to do with the crossing, anybody care to inform me?

post-14906-0-48868400-1434540918_thumb.jpg

Llanfair PG still has a lovely lattice footbridge, in need of some paint I might add, but a very nice footbridge.

post-14906-0-94364700-1434540932_thumb.jpg

I also noticed that both platforms at Llanfair PG are wooden edged. I found that quite strange as there had to have been considerable work done within the last 20 years as the platforms were shortened, but why use wood???

post-14906-0-40153700-1434540945_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-48052500-1434540958_thumb.jpg

I had to change trains at Llandudno Junction, as the train I got on at Llanfair PG didn't stop at Abergele, so I photo'd my trusty steed from Llanfair PG, 158821.

post-14906-0-08875400-1434540971_thumb.jpg

And these are the siding loops alongside the station (next to where the 6G shed was) that are totally overgrown!!!

post-14906-0-16986700-1434540985_thumb.jpg

I've got to travel back later on today to pick my car up, and I'm quite looking forward to it.

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

It's a nice trip from Bangor to Holyhead, you see parts of the island not normally accessible (by road).   Don't forget to look at the lions on the Britannia bridge.

Stu - (ex Rhylite & married to a Menai Bridge lass)

• RMweb Premium

It's been a fair few years since I set foot on Llanfair PG station though it doesn't seem to have changed all that much.  Made it to Bangor much more recently but with SWMBO already unimpressed by the North Welsh climate and (lack of) patience among the natives when trying to de-code her Aussie accent she determined we didn't need to go over to Ynys Mon.  Anglesey to the English.

Which brings me to another point.  I can understand the desire to attempt a phonetic version of the name on the Arriva-style plate if only out of curiosity.  But why is the direction plate not also in the local language?  Trains to "Holyhead" should be trenau i "Caergybi" 

• RMweb Gold

I can understand the desire to attempt a phonetic version of the name on the Arriva-style plate if only out of curiosity.  But why is the direction plate not also in the local language?  Trains to "Holyhead" should be trenau i "Caergybi"

if it was a 'local language' sign it would actually say 'holyhead yeah' and 'bangor ai' as in "does this train go to holyhead yeah, or bangor ai?"

jintyman: the platform is about 2 coaches long, a 3 car 175 for example has to use the local door (ie only one centre door opened by the guard) its the same at conwy too, the station is a request stop too which used to be a pain being as its a tourist hotspot (edinburgh woollen mill etc nearby) so you would see people on the platform and stop only for them not to want to get on, they were merely taking pics!

the contraption in the 4tf is a treadle of some sort probably linked in with the signal, the crossing cabin only deals with the crossing and yes its manual, it does not have any signals to control, if you notice the signals are BR which is bangor box, there is one more signal a bit futher along towards bangor that controls the entrance to the single line over the menai bridge, the crossng box is only part time so after about 19:00 if you need to cross with a vehicle, tough, you have to drive round via the overbridge

• RMweb Gold

, the crossng box is only part time so after about 19:00 if you need to cross with a vehicle, tough, you have to drive round via the overbridge

Is that the overbridge that we can see in the background? If so, they really ought to close the crossing on health & safety grounds as it is only a short diversion.

Is that the overbridge that we can see in the background? If so, they really ought to close the crossing on health & safety grounds as it is only a short diversion.

When I began working there in 1978 we were told the crossing was to close shortly ! 

Archived