Wellington Street

Mike

You make everything look so easy mike, looks great .

Ps. What happened to the military layout you mentioned earlier in the year or was it last year?, did you start it or have I slept and missed it lol. ☺️

I didn't start the military layout which was planed to be part of the Atlantic Wall from the German side. After much thought, given what was happening around the world, I felt that it was perhaps inappropriate.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have had a day in my gentleman's retreat and have a new work station and have completed 3 left-hand and 1 right-hand A4 points. The laser cut baseboard parts ( Grainge & Hodder) arrived just before the holiday, so it's all systems go starting 3rd Jan 2017. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh happy day, no not Que for a song but Wellington Street my 0 gauge layout is in the February edition of Model Rail. I now need to purchase a copy. Bostin aye it. ;)

Congrats Mike, I need a copy as well then.

• 2 weeks later...

It will make someone very happy giving them plenty of hours of enjoyment running it.  A superb model that has a "real life" feel to it.

Reading my copy of the Model Rail magazine initially bought because Wellington Street was in it I found several other interesting topics so much so that I may well take out a yearly sub.

I must also say the Wellington Street article was an intriguing read which was well supported with some fine photographs. 

Best

Mike,

Just got my Model Rail (yeah it takes a bit to cross the Atlantic).  I very much enjoyed your article.  I do think that Chris Nevard did an excellent job of showing off your layout in the best light.  I especially liked the overall view in the "Layout Factfile" page.  That view shows the great balance you achieved between track, structures and scenery.  The proportions are, in my opinion, spot on.  Excellent job, Mike, and thanks for sharing it with the rest of us - it is quite inspiring. 

Dave

P.S.  I really should be mad at you because I am so tempted to put my OO layout on hold for a bit and get started on the 7mm one in my mind!  :)

Thanks to everyone who has liked and commented on the trials and tribulations of Wellington Street. The layout has now been sold and will be exhibited by its new owner at shows after the Hardwicke show,

Hello Mike I'm about to add my ballast to the layout but would like to have some different surfaces available ie stone chippings, cobbles and even some concrete or cinder surfaces.

Now before the build of Wellington Street fades from your memory I notice you appear to have added card all over the baseboard even between sleepers, why was that just to save on the amount of ballast needed or some other subtle reason that has passed me by? 

I have my track straight on top of the baseboard and was just going to add stone ballast down around my track and any hard standing areas would be contoured into it. 

I have thought of tarmac in some areas by use of emery cloth sheets but can't convince myself it would exist in a goods yard anywhere, maybe only as a patch it could?  I think that is one for the "try as I ballast category.".

In the photo how did you achieve the light grainy surface showing?

post-1159-0-99678100-1485876111.jpg

Thanks

"In the photo how did you achieve the light grainy surface showing" Its just 80 grit sandpaper and the card was to allow me to ballast over the sleepers using N gauge fine cinders and it saves an awful lot of ballast.

cheers

I'm sure the new owner will enjoy Wellington Street and perhaps we'll see it again down the road! Looking forward to your next project.   :)

Mike's next project is already under way....

The Wallows -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115955-the-wallows/

I'm sure that somewhere he said something hilarious about it being his last one... :mosking: yeah, right, Mike ;)

Archived