Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

517 Class

Sorry, I have not yet worked out how to link another page, but over on the DJM wish list thread I have made the suggestion that a model should be made of this class.  I mention this in case anyone wants to register support for the idea. 

Obviously, it's in the DJ Models section of the Manufacturers board.

post-25673-0-13593100-1434799752.jpg

post-25673-0-67206700-1434799761.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 6

As I said on the other thread, I totally agree, but there are so many variations that I wonder if anyone would be satisfied by what was made available! For anyone who wants to add one, or a few, to their collection, but doesn't have a use for them, looking pretty would be the attraction, but if you're modelling a particular time and location where they actually worked, the chances of getting the right one in the right condition would be pretty remote.

That's no reason not to do it though! I'll have one as running in 1905, and would happily lay mixed gauge track to run a broad gauge era one, although I'm not sure how much they ran in broad gauge areas at the time.

Sorry, I have not yet worked out how to link another page

Simplest method is right click on the post number (eg #1) on the right hand side of the post you wish to link to, select "copy link location" in the pop-up menu, then inside your text press {Ctrl}{V} "paste" keys together to insert the link url. (other, more complicated, methods available) Edited by Kenton

Thanks, Kenton, though something to do with my firewall won't let me copy and paste on the forum.  I don't know, pooters!

Yes, but BG, only if you are tied to a particular date location (prototype or fictionalised version) will that be a potential problem.  The ability to modify will still be there and if all the main variants are there.... Most people, me included, will by the pretty ones/all of them!

Yes, but BG, only if you are tied to a particular date location (prototype or fictionalised version) will that be a potential problem.  The ability to modify will still be there and if all the main variants are there.... Most people, me included, will by the pretty ones/all of them!

I'm determined not to do pretty. I want to spend my money on stuff I can put to good use! And I'll need to convert the 1905 ones to EM, and the broad gauge era ones to P4!

I would have thought one suitable for 1905 would be something you could expect if the approach I have advocated were adopted. I'd want one for 1905, one for 1912 and two for 1935 as my minimum.  Of course, if there was also a short wheelbase one with smokebox wings in Wolverhampton green, I'd have one of those too!

How many would have to be made overall and in each variation to make a new model such as this feasible, I wonder.  If I had the sponduliks, I'd commission them.  As it is, aerial pie.

• 2 months later...

I am currently attempting to 3d print a 517 body for the Hornby/Dapol 14XX chassis There was some problem with my first two attempts so when I thought I'd resolved the problem I printed half of the body so see where I needed to make improvements. The result is promising so I've ordered a print of the complete body. I will try to upload some photos if I can find out how!

• 2 years later...

I've been having a think recently about this class as I'd really like one for my layout and also because it's quite difficult to find a kit in 00.  Whenever this prototype was suggested it was always shot down because of the variations in the class over their lifespan and the fact that none made it into BR.  However, with Bachmann now tooling for locomotives with a great deal of differences between models, is this now becoming more realistic?  We have the 1P and now the J72 coming soon which both contained many detail differences over their lifetime as well as being similarly small locomotives.  The Bulldog and 74xx certainly look more likely given this years announcements of revised tooling for the pre-existing range.

Could Bachmann possibly do one in the future?  Unlikely, but definitely not as crazy as it first appeared I hope!

• RMweb Gold

Very impressive.

Mr Dean Sidings years ago kept saying he would do one in resin, but it all went quiet.  He may have had issues fitting the tanks over the Hornby engine block. So, well done for getting a fit!

He was full of the smelly stuff like some of the other traders on here it was next to impossible to get anything from him but I know some people were lucky. 

I've been having a think recently about this class as I'd really like one for my layout and also because it's quite difficult to find a kit in 00.  Whenever this prototype was suggested it was always shot down because of the variations in the class over their lifespan and the fact that none made it into BR.  However, with Bachmann now tooling for locomotives with a great deal of differences between models, is this now becoming more realistic?  We have the 1P and now the J72 coming soon which both contained many detail differences over their lifetime as well as being similarly small locomotives.  The Bulldog and 74xx certainly look more likely given this years announcements of revised tooling for the pre-existing range.

Could Bachmann possibly do one in the future?  Unlikely, but definitely not as crazy as it first appeared I hope!

SE Finecast have just introduced a whitemetal kit for the 517

• RMweb Gold

Judging by Mr Daniels' post the kit only has the Collett bunker (and only the concave version of that), which limits the period suitable for the kit (not before 1924 IIRC), apart from all those which never got such a bunker at all. This seems a bit odd considering that the re-issued 2021 which they produced about the same time has two bunkers (Collett and Wolverhampton I think). I wonder if the 2021 Wolverhampton bunker, bought maybe as a spare, would be fittable to the 517 to extend the possibilities a bit?

• Like 2

Judging by Mr Daniels' post the kit only has the Collett bunker (and only the concave version of that), which limits the period suitable for the kit (not before 1924 IIRC), apart from all those which never got such a bunker at all. This seems a bit odd considering that the re-issued 2021 which they produced about the same time has two bunkers (Collett and Wolverhampton I think). I wonder if the 2021 Wolverhampton bunker, bought maybe as a spare, would be fittable to the 517 to extend the possibilities a bit?

If you know someone who has built a Mitchell 517 with a Collett bunker, then they will have parts to assist in building an earlier bunker. I am building a Mitchell one in earlier condition and gave the Collett bunker parts to a friend to update a 517 he was building.

Regards,

Craig W