Traffic returns to Eccles Road (Norfolk)

The ops manager was there because this was the trial, to establish the method of working, I'm guessing he won't be there for every train, unless there are issues.

I believe the MOM would have been there to check the first working went OK, and suggest modifications if there were any obvious problems; he'll have made other visits to site prior to the traffic starting, to ascertain the condition of track etc, if it hasn't been used for a while.

• RMweb Gold

There was a bit of a problem this morning, no normal detection on the points, presumably after the train had been put into the sidings, so the main line was shut for a while.

Yes, the trailing point in the up main would not give normal detection, I suggested a good kicking of the blades but the shunters left it to the S&T to resolve. It was fixed around 10:00 and resulted in a cancellation or two and some (very) late running. The down main was unaffected.

OI - put those points back !

post-6662-0-75099300-1435354027_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I'm more surprised that the cables were laid over the top of the rails that access the sidings tbh... It was one cheap and nasty resignalling......

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Chapter 2 - The return.

As informed by the staff, 6L09/6M87 ran again on Friday 26 June, fortunately 6L09 arrived before work started meaning I could go and see the arrival and the departure was scheduled for mid afternoon so a late lunch was also called for.

The boss was the same guy as last week but the ground staff were two fold, one I didn't speak to but the other was a very nice guy called Nigel - who'd driven from Essex to deal with the train, the driver was not as friendly as the previous week.

Action stations.

post-6662-0-61987100-1435425467_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-40349100-1435425555_thumb.jpg

66055 on 6L09, 23:24, Briggs Sdgs Steetley Coy - Eccles Rd Johnston's Sdg (09:06) - loaded stone

(one of the Lickey banker locos fitted with an additional light on the front)

post-6662-0-02510000-1435425621_thumb.jpg

The train was made up from MBAs, PRAs and 1 JRA

post-6662-0-06170600-1435425777_thumb.jpg

In we go

post-6662-0-93830400-1435425841_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-32891200-1435425878_thumb.jpg

After establishing the method of working last week the train was split into two after arrival.

post-6662-0-92569400-1435425945_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-95584900-1435425989_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-59185700-1435426018_thumb.jpg

At this point I had to return home and so missed the whole unloading / shuffling process - as mentioned above, after setting back the points to the main line were unable to be detected when normal meaning the S&T had to attend.

I returned for the booked departure and sure enough the train was ready to go on time - I took position by the crossover, the light is not good in the afternoon for the departure but it was cloudy so I gamboled.

pushing out

post-6662-0-49154300-1435426236_thumb.jpg

and off we go

66055 on 6M87, 14:40, Eccles Rd Johnston's Sdg - Briggs Sdgs Steetley Coy (23:54) - empty stone

post-6662-0-44428100-1435426287_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Chapter 2 - The return.

As informed by the staff, 6L09/6M87 ran again on Friday 26 June, fortunately 6L09 arrived before work started meaning I could go and see the arrival and the departure was scheduled for mid afternoon so a late lunch was also called for.

The boss was the same guy as last week but the ground staff were two fold, one I didn't speak to but the other was a very nice guy called Nigel - who'd driven from Essex to deal with the train, the driver was not as friendly as the previous week.

Dunno who first groundstaff was but our Nigel is a star. As for our driver that's Peterborough's self proclaimed Number 1 !! I had the prestigous task of relieving him at Peterborough and taking M87 through to Toytown !!

Don't worry though he treats us the same too !!!

• RMweb Gold

The third train arrived on the morning of 2 July - it was booked to run the day before but the loco needed fueling and by the time the whole lot was sorted a possession meant the train was not going to get a path, so it was held for 24 hours at Peak Forest.  

Unfortunately the train (in it's revised path) was booked to arrive just after 9 which made it difficult for me with work commitments, so I had a quick visit to get it arriving.

66232 on 6L09, 20:56, Peak Forest S.B. - Eccles Rd Johnston's Sdg (10:24) - loaded stone

post-6662-0-06377800-1436004569_thumb.jpg

(Back to JRAs for this working)

Nigel and the "new boy" (for this working at least) await the signal clearing.

post-6662-0-74441000-1436004599_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-39691000-1436004708_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-10526200-1436004716_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-67768000-1436004723_thumb.jpg

For the return I decided to try the foot crossing just on the Ely side of the station - a bit too far away even for the 300mm lens doubled to 600mm ! - but I have to try

66232 on 6M87, 15:06, Eccles Rd Johnston's Sdg - Briggs Sdgs Steetley Coy (23:56) - empty stone

post-6662-0-88287700-1436004872_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-96078600-1436004878_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-31844500-1436004888_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-67430800-1436004894_thumb.jpg

Currently booked to run next Tuesday.

• Like 15

66055 on 6L09, 23:24, Briggs Sdgs Steetley Coy - Eccles Rd Johnston's Sdg (09:06) - loaded stone

(one of the Lickey banker locos fitted with an additional light on the front)

Thanks for the info - I shot 66055 on 6X65, the Didcot - Mossend last week and wondered what the extra light on the front was for

Yes, the trailing point in the up main would not give normal detection, I suggested a good kicking of the blades but the shunters left it to the S&T to resolve. It was fixed around 10:00 and resulted in a cancellation or two and some (very) late running. The down main was unaffected.

OI - put those points back !

attachicon.gifDAS624906.jpg

What are the two "things" in the four-foot parallel to the ends of the scrap rails beside the track? 

Many thanks,

Bill

What are the two "things" in the four-foot parallel to the ends of the scrap rails beside the track? 

Many thanks,

Bill

They're either axle-counters, or treadles to start the operating sequence for a level crossing. If you look carefully at the left-hand one, you can see the piece of metal that the wheel flange makes contact with.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks,

Bill

They're treadles - presumably for the Hargham AHB(s).  I'm not sure if both Hargham No.1 & Hargham No.2 are both still in existence but they're fairly close together and some controls might possibly overlap?).

Definitely not axle counters - the pic below shows an axle counter (not the most recent type of head) and it involves no physical contact with the wheel - the grey item attached to the inside face of the rail just to the right of the yellow box (which is also to an earlier design - the pic was taken in 2013

post-6859-0-37434500-1436736099_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Only 1 Hargham AHB these days Mike. (The other is user worked)

I had to explain things to some visiting S&T when they were concerned that the barriers were down at Eccles but cars were still travelling over Hargham AHB - for those who don't know, the AHB is on a timing circuit and the barriers at Eccles need to be down to get the signals off in time for a train to get a green at the controlling signal, and it's distant/repeater - in this circumstance the Eccles crossing needs to be down to give green signals before the timing for the AHB kicks in, so traffic is stopped at the crossing whilst in the distance traffic is still crossing Hargham AHB.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only 1 Hargham AHB these days Mike. (The other is user worked)

I had to explain things to some visiting S&T when they were concerned that the barriers were down at Eccles but cars were still travelling over Hargham AHB - for those who don't know, the AHB is on a timing circuit and the barriers at Eccles need to be down to get the signals off in time for a train to get a green at the controlling signal, and it's distant/repeater - in this circumstance the Eccles crossing needs to be down to give green signals before the timing for the AHB kicks in, so traffic is stopped at the crossing whilst in the distance traffic is still crossing Hargham AHB.

Illustration

It should be possible to see the car crossing at Hargham No.1 AHB even though the Eccles barriers are down and the signals are off

post-6662-0-95165300-1436861292_thumb.jpg

This is more graphically demonstrated with a train coming towards me as the train can be in view, with the barriers down but the AHB still open, unfortunately the weather wasn't friendly enough for me to get a shot which illustrated this - but I will.

• Like 1

Some videos of the trains if anyone wants to see them moving

Hi Dave, it would appear that they have swopped the set of wagons for the one that has recently been used a lot on the Dowlow-Ashburys circuit as that was formed of MBAs, JRAs and JXAs when I have seen it either at Peak Forest or Hazel Grove in the past couple of weeks.

Cheers Paul

• RMweb Gold

Illustration

It should be possible to see the car crossing at Hargham No.1 AHB even though the Eccles barriers are down and the signals are off

This is more graphically demonstrated with a train coming towards me as the train can be in view, with the barriers down but the AHB still open, unfortunately the weather wasn't friendly enough for me to get a shot which illustrated this - but I will.

I did !

Barriers down and signals off, 158780 approaching and a van using the crossing.

post-6662-0-56648400-1437033268_thumb.jpg

once again but this time 66057 approaches on the empty stone as a car uses the crossing. For slower trains towards Ely the effect is more pronounced (more vehicles cross), there is no differential speed control on the Eccles barriers so they always drop at the same time to clear the signals (so a slow train means the barriers are down for longer) and obviously a slow train takes longer to travel between the Eccles strike in point and the Hargham No.1 AHB strike in point.

post-6662-0-66239000-1437033423_thumb.jpg

back to the trains ... if only, still no sign of any running

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Your photos also show how unsightly all the new stuff is too. Why can the modern world not make things that are pleasant to the eye? A well designed brick building (not unlike the GC relay rooms on the GCR at Loughboro') would look a damn sight better, and less intrusive to the area. But no, the accountants say it must be cheap....

Andy G

Taxpayers...

There's also the minor matter that it's a lot easier and quicker (and arguably safer) to pre-assemble and test all the various modules off-site, then crane them in, rather than have to build a brick structure. If a brick structure was chosen either the roof would have to be left off until all the equipment is installed, or smaller assemblies would have to be brought in through a door, fitted together, and re-tested. You would probably also find that, were a brick structure specified, the relevant authorities would insist on planning possibility being sought, with possible delays due to objections and appeals, whereas it could be argued that these steel boxes are 'temporary structures'.