Traffic returns to Eccles Road (Norfolk)

• RMweb Premium

Back in ye olden days, many private sidings had "BR engines must not psss this point" boards. Remember the story in one of the Thomas the Tank Engine books when the loco (or was it the crew) ignored this? Many private sidings had their own small shunter to collect the wagons from the exchange sidings and move them around the site.

But nowadays, are locos able to fully access these small siding set-ups? Presumably someone from Network Rail (or DBS - or both) checked the sidings before this traffic flow began?

Just wondering.....

Exchange sidings still exist with the other side worked by the site's locos. A couple of examples I can think of are at Earle's Sidings / Castleton on the Hope Valley line (although that's a bit of a branch rather than just some sidings) and at Shap for Hardendale quarry (I'm pretty sure I've seen some form of small private shunter there when passing on the motorway).

• RMweb Gold

I think some photos on here of them wagons would be excellent, maybe in a separtate thread. If anybody know if there is scale drawings or diagrams for these, posting them or a link/reference to such would be good.

I'll post a thread tonight, I have pretty good shots of all 16 of them

• Like 1

I think some photos on here of them wagons would be excellent, maybe in a separtate thread. If anybody know if there is scale drawings or diagrams for these, posting them or a link/reference to such would be good.

I'm pretty certain there was a drawing in 'Update', the DEMU periodical, a few years back.

• RMweb Gold

Nice job of photgraphing and explaining it all Mr Beast sir.  To us with past involvement in such things it's all dead simple and easy to see how it can be done and how any minor problems such as 'too heavy' could be dealt with but a sequence like that is ideal for modellers with an interest in seeing how the job is really done as opposed to how some might think the magic of 'operating interest' happens.

• Like 2

A nice bit of reportage Dave.

Can you just clarify though please, were the fouling point chairs painted (aerosol?) whilst the job was underway as they aren't noticeable in any picture before it's blatantly obvious why they are there!

Thanx, Carl.

• RMweb Gold

A nice bit of reportage Dave.

Can you just clarify though please, were the fouling point chairs painted (aerosol?) whilst the job was underway as they aren't noticeable in any picture before it's blatantly obvious why they are there!

Thanx, Carl.

They were painted after we (the DBS guys really but I was helping, well me and John were having a laugh about it) checked the 66 would clear.

• Like 1

Brilliant thread, photos and explanation, Dave.

You added to the photos since I last looked in?

I’m seriously thinking of adding such an operation to a USA HO plan. Much better for a newbie too than a small BLT......

I hope this gets well read.

Thanks, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant thread, photos and explanation, Dave.

You added to the photos since I last looked in?

I’m seriously thinking of adding such an operation to a USA HO plan. Much better for a newbie too than a small BLT......

I hope this gets well read.

Thanks, Pete.

Hi Pete,

thanks - no more photos, that's the lot (I took loads more but they are only variations on what I've posted)

I've got a lot of shots of the wagons which I'll create a separate thread for, I was going to do it last night but I was watching a 37 make it's tardy way across to me !

Go for it with the USA idea - anything which explains how to make a model look and feel like the real thing is great.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, much more freight needs to go by rail.

However, just wondering about the staffing required:

Driver - obviously

Shunter - probably

Third guy (ops manager?) - not sure of their role

The ops manager was there because this was the trial, to establish the method of working, I'm guessing he won't be there for every train, unless there are issues.

• Like 3