OO LNER Coronation Brass Kit Build Sydnope Scale Models

• RMweb Premium

A few years later Sydnope seemed to dissapear, certainly the shop in Crich closed and I no longer saw them at the exhibitions they had attended.

One of the partners, John Sammans, continues to trade at the Derby Show but now sells second hand UK and American outline models. I have a vague recollection that Barrie Stevenson was also involved. There was also a shop in Alfreton but I don't know if that was before or after Crich.

• Like 2

One of the partners, John Sammans, continues to trade at the Derby Show but now sells second hand UK and American outline models. I have a vague recollection that Barrie Stevenson was also involved. There was also a shop in Alfreton but I don't know if that was before or after Crich..

It was after Crich Mike. They also had an industrial unit near Cotes Park for a brief time later. Barrie's retired but still attends a few swap meets and does a bit of building.

Edited by Leander

Hello,

Hope you all had a good weekend?

Just a little update. Using 0.3mm lead wire, and a new product (to me), I added the wires to the backs of the coach ends. Does anyone know what these wires are called, and what their purpose is? I used Gators Grip hobby adhesive. Similar to PVA, but seemingly more tacky with an instant grab like CA, but enabling you to move the part around much more before the glue goes off. Very effective for detail parts, and I will certainly be using this more in the future.

I also shaped all the roof extrusions. I measured against each etch to get the correct length, and used a template to mark the bow end of the coach. At the moment I am around +0 to +1mm out (too long) but will take care of this when I come to making each individual coach by fling away the excess. Unfortunately, the extrusion for coach F is too warped, and I will have to replace it. I have taken great care to make sure each roof is square, using a 2in engineers set square. The thinking behind this is that if I start to introduce errors, however small then this could impact the good running of the coaches, and I will end up compensating errors all over the place in order to correct errors, which is time consuming and fiddly. Better to take my time and be accurate, rather than make a wonky coach rake! That's the theory anyway!

I marked the centres of the roof sections, and the positions of the various vents from the Isinglass drawings and attached them using a well known 2 part epoxy resin. Unfortunately, with an ambient temperature of 26c, the glue goes off in around 3 minutes, so I had to mix small batches and work fast!

I have found a solution to the flooring problem. The local hardware store sells lengths of aluminum strip in varying widths and thicknesses. Sadly, not the width I need, but using some about 18mm across, I can cut these to length, and bond the correct size plasticard floor to the aluminium strip, ensuring the floor is rigid and stays straight. I might even be able to do away with the white metal coach frame spacers, which will save a little weight too. The floors will be slid into the coach, after painting, and then the end will be epoxied in, completing the coach.

Finally, I separated the wheels, tyres and axles for easier painting. I've already sprayed the wheel hubs with some Tamiya semi gloss black, and just need to add the white to the rim of the tyres before reassembling.

As a side note, I am waiting to place an order with Dart Castings, and have sent them a couple of emails, alas with no reply. Is this usual for this supplier?

c23.jpg

c22.jpg

Coro21.jpg

• Like 5

Does anyone know what these wires are called, and what their purpose is?

They're known as jumper cables and transfer electric current and control between carriages. The guard could switch all the lights in the train on and off from his compartment instead of having to do each carriage individually.

The floors will be slid into the coach, after painting, and then the end will be epoxied in, completing the coach.

If I may? As soon as the glue has set, something will come adrift inside and you'll have to break the bond to get back in and fix it. If you put a small flat piece of brass with a captive nut (or two) at the other end you can use that to put bolts up through the floor to hold it all together, then it will come apart painlessly whenever you need it to. The MJT articulation units, if you go that route, even have holes in the right places so you could use the same bolts to attach them.

have sent them a couple of emails, alas with no reply. Is this usual for this supplier?

Not atypical. I think they all have other jobs as well. I find that they usually take pretty well up to the stated 28 days, but they're pretty good about getting stuff out.

Thank you Jonathan.

Jumper cables, should have known, I've seen that term used before!

WRT the coach floors, you are of course right that the law of the sod dictates that something WILL come adrift as soon as its all dry! I suppose the OCD part of me wants seamless coach ends!! Using the MJT bogies I'd definitely be able to utilise the same securing bolt, for both holding the floors/ends and the bogies. Certainly worth more thought, and by the way this whole project is a total evolution of my thought processes as I progress through it, so don't be surprised if another idea pops up!

I'll try and give Dart a call, I want my VAT deducted for non EU deliveries ;)

Afternoon all

The only time that I've placed an order with Dart Castings, I posted it and it was received inside of a week.

I echo JW's praise of MJT bogies/articulation. I have fitted them to my LNER Restaurant Triplet and it rolls so much better.

Earlswood nob

• Like 1

A bit more about Sydnope. As already stated they had a shop in Crich which is where I first came across them. They then moved to an industrial unit near Cotes Park, again as mentioned previously. They did us a very good deal on track and points for Deepcar, the Peco points being for the fiddle yard as the scenic side was all hand built. They then moved into a shop on Derby(?) Road nearer Alfreton town centre, which is where unfortunately it all went wrong.

Apparently one day a number of 'gentlemen' entered the shop and said something along the lines of 'that's it then you're closed'. I understand that someone hadn't been paying the VATman!

All of the stock turned up at an auction house in Eastwood a few weeks later and I and several other club members went along to see if there were any bargains to be had. The bidding was almost bizarre at times, I recall things like boxed Hornby locos going for over their normal retail price, but we picked up a couple of boxes of assorted unbuilt wagon kits and such like for next to nothing. The most notable thing was several beautifully built and finished loco kits including something like a Caledonian 4-6-0, Scottish stuff isn't my strongpoint, going for about £20!!!! Unfortunately I had been out of work recently  and was just getting back on my feet, or I would have bought them just because!

This would have been around 1985-6 at a best guess.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jumper cables are exceptionally easy with lead wire :)

I usually use black cotton thread but it's a bit fiddly.  I've never heard of lead wire before - where did you get it from?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks - that looks useful, and not expensive!  An example of techniques from one modelling discipline being useful for another, that most people who only model railways would't be aware of?!

• Like 1

Thats the view I take Steve. Different experiences are always useful, and often apply to more than one sphere of the overall hobby of modelling. Forums like this are a great way for people to share things like this in a way which wouldn't really have been possible prior to the internet. :D 

A bit more about Sydnope. As already stated they had a shop in Crich which is where I first came across them. They then moved to an industrial unit near Cotes Park, again as mentioned previously. They did us a very good deal on track and points for Deepcar, the Peco points being for the fiddle yard as the scenic side was all hand built. They then moved into a shop on Derby(?) Road nearer Alfreton town centre, which is where unfortunately it all went wrong.

Apparently one day a number of 'gentlemen' entered the shop and said something along the lines of 'that's it then you're closed'. I understand that someone hadn't been paying the VATman!

All of the stock turned up at an auction house in Eastwood a few weeks later and I and several other club members went along to see if there were any bargains to be had. The bidding was almost bizarre at times, I recall things like boxed Hornby locos going for over their normal retail price, but we picked up a couple of boxes of assorted unbuilt wagon kits and such like for next to nothing. The most notable thing was several beautifully built and finished loco kits including something like a Caledonian 4-6-0, Scottish stuff isn't my strongpoint, going for about £20!!!! Unfortunately I had been out of work recently  and was just getting back on my feet, or I would have bought them just because!

This would have been around 1985-6 at a best guess.

The shop was on King Street in Alfreton, Neall. I couldn't remember the exact sequence of locations.

Hello Tom,

I actually picked up on the "Sydnope" name and thought that sounded familiar, I well remember cycling up to Crich (from Derby) and visiting the shop there, it was a good 'un and I'm pleased to say that I'm still friends with John Sammans (thanks to my US H0 interests!). Thanks to the various members who have related the somewhat sad tale of what happened to the business, I had forgotten all about it! I would certainly have loved to get hold of some of those models, they always looked really good.

As to the Coronation set itself, you look to be doing a great job, I hope it continues in this fashion.

Happy modelling!

John E.

Hello folks, todays update.

Firstly, all the wheels and tyres are painted. I couldn't be bothered to hand paint 56 'rims' so I made a little cork/wood printing block, which seems to have done a nice job of getting the white on the wheels. I'll not assemble the wheels until I begin constructing the bogies (order placed with Dart, but I think they may be on their summer break :D). Look a bit rough blown up this size, but I promise in real life they look good. Taking them apart prior to painting definitely helped to avoid paint in places I didn't want it!

c24.jpg

I actually began on construction today as well. Sets A-D and G/H. Due to the bent roof of F, that set will wait until a replacement arrives. Anyhow 6 coaches gives me plenty to work on in a 'batch'; fashion. In order to increase the surface area at the coach ends, you'll notice I epoxied tabs of 2mm angle plasticard to the top of the casting. This really helps to improve the strength of the bond, as I don't want any tears. OTT maybe, but better safe than sorry!

c25.jpg

All connected. I'll give it a full 24hrs to go off properly, then I'll add a bead of epoxy over the top as extra insurance. This will be out of sight anyway so no bother...

c26.jpg

Throughout the very quick initial drying time (3-4mins) I was very pedantic to check for squareness with my mini set squares:

c27.jpg

The rapid cure time of the glue meant I had to mix small amounts and work quickly to make sure the end is square in all dimensions.

The fixed end point allowed me to make up a more accurate mock up of how the coach will look. As you may know from this thread, I am really keen to hide any seams, and if at all possible, build the coach as a box. I want to avoid unfilled seams if possible, and these coaches need to be visually perfect (as near as I can anyway), so the finish is really important to me. Previously, we discussed leaving the articulated end of the coach loose, so that the floor could be fitted, and removed if necessary. I think I have come up with a way to avoid this, and still be able to remove the floor.

c28.jpg

'A' indicates the location of the bogie mounting plate. 'B' is where I intend to place a frame spacer, for strength as well as a mounting point for the floor. To the right of A, a plastic floor will be epoxied in. This is only about 32/33mm long, and at this end of the coaches are either kitchen facilities or vestibules. This means that the windows are opaque or just small top lights, so it'll be almost impossible to see in, meaning that internal detail can be sacrificed in this area. I will make the floor shorter than slightly more than the width of the spacer at B, meaning I can slide the floor in. Then it will be slid back to sit directly over B. The plasticard at the other end of the coach will be the floor at that end of the coach where detail is less important. Small screws will secure the floor in. I'll make the floors slightly narrower than I initially thought, so they clear the side skirts (narrowest point). Any gaps can be filled with a small sausage of Blu Tac! Hope this all makes sense? I'll sleep in it for a couple of nights before I go ahead.

Cheers.

Edited by grob1234
  • Like 2

Hello Tom,

I actually picked up on the "Sydnope" name and thought that sounded familiar, I well remember cycling up to Crich (from Derby) and visiting the shop there, it was a good 'un and I'm pleased to say that I'm still friends with John Sammans (thanks to my US H0 interests!). Thanks to the various members who have related the somewhat sad tale of what happened to the business, I had forgotten all about it! I would certainly have loved to get hold of some of those models, they always looked really good.

As to the Coronation set itself, you look to be doing a great job, I hope it continues in this fashion.

Happy modelling!

John E.

Thank you John, I am really enjoying this build so far, its certainly getting the grey matter working. Also very much enjoying hearing a bit about the history of the company behind the coaches. Kind of adds to the provenance of it all :D

• Like 1

Yes, like that as long as the internal partitions allow you enough clearance.  Reminds me - have you looked at the possibility of the Coopercraft internal partitions?  They're a pretty good representation of a distinctive feature.  Make sure you speak to him and confirm they're in stock before parting with any money, though.

order placed with Dart, but I think they may be on their summer break

I bleedin' hope not, I'm waiting for a stack of bogies from them.

Barrie Stevenson is definitely still trading, I've sen him at a few shows in the Midlands over the last few years.

Jonathan, looks like I might be on to something then. Like I say will think about it for a couple of days before things get permanent. 

I have internal partitions supplied, so will give them a go, making sure I engineer in enough internal clearance for it all.

Couldn't resist mocking up B as well:

c29.jpg

• Like 4

Hello folks continuing on... got all the sides fully cleaned in some coke (other fizzy drinks are available!) and gave them a scrub with Jif. Now fully sprayed in Etch Primer, I will leave them to dry overnight. 

Currently enjoying a typhoon here this evening, so managed to get quite a bit done.

With regards to the interior colours, I was thinking of something like this:

24278int1.jpg

What do you reckon?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello folks continuing on... got all the sides fully cleaned in some coke (other fizzy drinks are available!) and gave them a scrub with Jif. Now fully sprayed in Etch Primer, I will leave them to dry overnight. 

Currently enjoying a typhoon here this evening, so managed to get quite a bit done.

With regards to the interior colours, I was thinking of something like this:

24278int1.jpg

What do you reckon?

Nah, completely implausible.  Who would paint a coach in those colours?!

• RMweb Gold

That's a good photo there.  These coaches must have been impressive in the 1930s decked out in blues with polished metal tables and trim.  Quite a contrast to the more usual varnished wood I'd imagine.