RAILEX 2016

David Bigcheeseplant

It was strange that at six pm on the Sunday the hall was almost totally clear and the hustle of Railex that had been there only a few hours earlier was gone.

Think I am going to relax today.

I think we can allow that! An excellent show. One of the best I have been to. Very slick. Thank you to you and your club for organising it for everybody else to enjoy. We'll be back I think!

• RMweb Gold

I think you've earned it! A really great show as usual, many thanks to David and the team. I was thrilled at how much interest there was in my Bath Queensquare display/demo although by break down on Sunday I had pretty much run out of voice.

The standard and range of exhibits was superb, the highlight for me, as with many others, was the chance to see Aylesbury at close quarters. The forced perspective is even more effective in the flesh than on the printed page and it was really useful to be able to get round the back and look at the ingenious way it was done with a combination of trapezoidal (is that a real word!) buildings built to a vanishing point, reduced scale, flats and view blockers. Brilliant stuff and lots of ideas I shall be pinching for Bath.

Jerry

Clutton is back, and very tired. A number of people said they had come especially to the show to see Clutton on its last outing! Maybe that was why there were record numbers at the show (not). The retirement was a misunderstanding on David Lane's part, Clutton is actually retiring in 2018, Railwells August 18 will be its last show.

Aylesbury was the deserved winner best in show, a stunning layout.

• RMweb Gold

A splendid choice, a simple scene but one of the highlights of the show for me. Well done Mark. :)

attachicon.gifAn_Clar.jpg

I do need to make it clear that while I constructed the physical structure of the backscene and prepared it ready for painting, my good friend and fellow 2mm modeller David Eveleigh painted it. He's a talented self-taught artist in acrylics and captured what was in my mind's eye brilliantly. Because the whole scene is boxed, I was able to fair in the corners with some thinned down polystyrene coving. This helps a lot in maintaining the illusion of a continuous sky.

As the backscene was painted first, I just made the scenery to match it. I did take a series of photos of David painting the backscene. Sadly they were lost in a hard disk failure. I tried very hard to recover them but failed miserably. Back your data up folks!

You would be surprised at the colours David used.

Here's a couple just after the backscene was completed before the ground cover went in.

post-7249-0-22044900-1464600860.jpg

post-7249-0-39728200-1464600887.jpg

What continues to amaze me is just how well David's impressionistic painting works.

Likewise for me it was a very enjoyable show.  Railex is a "must-go" event, a superb exhibition and for me, a very scenic relaxing drive to/from home totally avoiding motorways. Thanks to David and his team for organising it.

Mark

Wibdenshaw arrived back in Hereford at Mr Wibbles hideaway last night after a surprisingly quiet drive back, although I did avoid Oxford. I would just like to thank David and his team for putting on one of the best exhibitions I have been to in a long while.

The standard of layouts was excellent and trying to judge the best one on Sunday was not at all easy. The catering was excellent and many thanks to the staff running the cafe for their efforts. The Saturday night shindig was also first class apart from the fact other people where drinking up all the beers I liked. The hall was obviously busy , but never seemed overcrowded, unless you where trying to get in front of one of the layouts. The range of trade and its diversity was also very welcome, (although not to my bank account).

From Wibdenshaws point of view the layout ran superbly all weekend, and those of you watching, any faux-pas witnessed where due to operator error, or the odd rolling stock misbehavior, for which I had no control. A very enjoyable weekend and I hoped we managed to entertain all of you who came to see the layouts last outing on British soil.

Paul J.

I do need to make it clear that while I constructed the physical structure of the backscene and prepared it ready for painting, my good friend and fellow 2mm modeller David Eveleigh painted it. He's a talented self-taught artist in acrylics and captured what was in my mind's eye brilliantly. As the backscene was painted first, I just made the scenery to match it. 

In my opinion, both Mark and David deserve congratulations for what is a stunning example of careful blending of two and three dimensional modelling on 'An Clár' - Irish narrow gauge in 2mm scale/6.5mm gauge.

David's backscene painting is the work of a true artist who understands that the backscene is there to support and emphasise the foreground model. His use of purples, oranges and pinks in the sky are particularly noteworthy and bold, while the reducing hues used for the further hills and clouds lend to a convincing feeling of 'distance' and weather - you get the distinct feeling that within 10 minutes this sunny patch will pass and it it will be pouring down with rain. How very Irish!

Mark's foreground modelling is of equally high craftsmanship in my view, as he has superbly blended these two aspects together, carefully employing muted scenic hues, to the point where you find it hard to tell where the 3D and 2D realities meet. The two works together compliment each other perfectly, and give this scene - which is in fact only 200mm deep - a real sense of depth and a landscape setting for the trains.

Well done David Eveleigh and Mark Fielder! 

I took this photo with my phone at Railex last Saturday, which I think better illustrates what I am trying to express:

post-14107-0-55290000-1464604238_thumb.jpg

Just another picture of 'An Clar' which shows the almost immaculate juxtaposition of landscape and back scene. I found one of the interesting aspects the fact that the back scene was painted before the surface dressing of landscape was added. My instinct would be the reverse however Mark explained that the grass was dyed a light green and then the colours merged by spraying various amounts of good quality water colour pigments over the grass and so forth.

Amazing that such a small layout can generate such a huge amount of interest.

On the subject of colour, I don't think that Blythburgh should be disregarded. Capturing the 'end of the day warm glow' on what also appeared to be more autumnal foliage and with a back scene that did nothing to distract the eye and everything to 'set off' the rest of the model I thought this was very well presented and with the dark blue surrounds reminded one of a well lit stage.

post-4710-0-38614300-1464608621_thumb.jpgpost-4710-0-68133900-1464608659_thumb.jpg

(Apologies for depth of field issues - I struggled all day with this)

Just another picture of 'An Clar' which shows the almost immaculate juxtaposition of landscape and back scene. Amazing that such a small layout can generate such a huge amount of interest.

I know. 'An Clár' and 'The Pizza' always seem to stimulate an amazing amount of keen interest and positive comments wherever Mark exhibits them! He's definitely doing something right...  :imsohappy:

Congratulations to the winners of the awards, and I agree with Paul that it was a difficult decisions as to who to vote for. I deliberately chose a team from the sub's bench this time, so as not to win the trophy again :onthequiet:  only kidding. Without you guys there wouldn't be much moving, so thank you for your help running the layout 

Railex has set its standards high, and it's a true modeller's show. If I had a quid for everytime I heard that on Saturday....... So a big thank you to David, Ant and all the Railex team for putting on another cracking event. From an exhibitors point of view it is second to none for hospitality and making you feel welcome, and I hope no one visiting the show went away feeling short changed :no:

I would like to have chatted to a lot more of you than I did, and apologise for not being around on the Sunday due to other more serious duties at home. Sara is recovering well from her key hole surgery, and I'm learning how to use strange machines called dishwashers and cookers now! 

Finally the layout is at home and all packed away, so a big thank you to all involved with the logistics, and especially to Paul for packing and transporting the layout back. 

Went with Natalie on the Sunday. Had a great day. Didn't take photos myself due to my back playing merry hell with me and getting close enough to layouts proving a bit too difficult, so Natalie went around with my camera instead, I'll process the photos and upload them later when I'm a bit less than a zombie.

Got quite a few items, so came away happy with purchases and got bits I was after too. The only issue I found was parking, but it was only a minor issue in the end and didn't distract from the quality of the show. We will look to return next year if we're able to (it falls the same weekend as my birthday, so whether I am able to make it depends on other plans).

Hello All

As always we seem to have some lost property items that were left during the exhibition.

These are:

2 off Pairs of Glasses

1 off Mobile Phone

2 off Frets from Hobby Holidays

If you have think the above may be yours please PM me.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

I have just had confirmation that we had hit the 3000 visitor number the highest ever. I think the TV helped, I have just been going through the feedback forms, I am sure the general public who had no interest in model railways found the event interesting.

On the feedback there was not one comment that there was no Thomas layout or train set layout for children. I think the quality and serious aspect of Railex will hopefully get us away from the train spotter playing with toy trains and show that it is a creative hobby, which everyone can enjoy.

David

Just to add to praise above - a fantastic show.  I hadn't been to Railex before as usually stick to more local exhibitions (Midlands).  Really enjoyed it on the Sunday (perhaps it was quieter?) - plenty of room to get around and had a good look at the traders and layouts.  Had to wait a bit at a lot of the layouts for a few slightly inconsiderate folk who just stood and talked with their companions and not necessarily about the layout they were supposed to be viewing and some photographers who spent up to 20 mins taking pics and not letting others in to see (I saw several disgruntled would-be-spectators so not just talking about myself) but this is of course no fault of the club or those organizing the event. 

Great to see 'Wibdenshaw' in the flesh and sad it will be it's last outing.  Just as good in real life as in the features it's appeared in over the years.  'Aylesbury' and 'Sydney Gardens' were also mesmerising.  Good venue and layout operators and traders all very friendly.

Will try to get back next year.  Well done for all the hard work!  

• RMweb Premium

It was strange that at six pm on the Sunday the hall was almost totally clear and the hustle of Railex that had been there only a few hours earlier was gone.

What could be better than Railex?  How about a Bi-annual Railex?

Hat, Coat, Gone.......

• RMweb Premium

Hello All

As always we seem to have some lost property items that were left during the exhibition.

These are:

2 off Pairs of Glasses

1 off Mobile Phone

2 off Frets from Hobby Holidays

If you have think the above may be yours please PM me.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Probably obvious and already tried, but if the phone isn't security locked then how about calling one of the numbers in the address book/contact list to see if that contact has another means (eg landline) to contact the owner? May need a couple of goes to pick the right contact.

HTH

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Had to wait a bit at a lot of the layouts for a few slightly inconsiderate folk who just stood and talked with their companions and not necessarily about the layout they were supposed to be viewing and some photographers who spent up to 20 mins taking pics and not letting others in to see (I saw several disgruntled would-be-spectators so not just talking about myself) but this is of course no fault of the club or those organizing the event. 

Snap.  A couple of clowns were looking and discussing unrelated photos stored on a Tablet for some time whilst standing in front of Sydney Gardens - a very popular layout with little frontage.  C'mon guys, play the game nicely please.....

Railex has set its standards high, and it's a true modeller's show. If I had a quid for everytime I heard that on Saturday.......

Curiously we heard a trader comment along similar lines although it was on Sunday morning. He observed to a customer that his trade was better on the Sunday and he thought that the modellers had left it until the second day to attend. And this was only about 11.30 am.

Clearly there both days!

Curiously we heard a trader comment along similar lines although it was on Sunday morning. He observed to a customer that his trade was better on the Sunday and he thought that the modellers had left it until the second day to attend. And this was only about 11.30 am.

Clearly there both days!

I have tended to always go on a Sunday, as for the majority of shows it is quieter. Theres occasionally some exceptions to that, such as ExpoEM where I went both days as funds permitted a hotel stay for the weekend that time around.

I'd no major plans on attending Railex, having drifted away from modelling again, but I was at the Bucks Railway centre over Easter and saw the display of the Aylesbury layout, and decided I had to go see it. 

I popped down on the sunday, and my girlfriend also came along for a look, and we had a nice walk down the Guttman, so no problems parking here! We were both impressed by the layouts, and I was particularly taken with An Clar, and The Pizza. I love to see the large layouts, but the tiny, quirky layouts really interest me - especially given it's the sort of thing I'd like to build! I spent quite a while watching that little loco going round on The Pizza.

The Aylesbury layout was quite fantastic to see though. Had a very nice chat with one of the RMDC guys who told me a whole load of little bits of local history I didn't know, so it was not only fascinating to see the layout, but I learned a lot too. I was quite pleased to see a nice mix of folk visiting, and lots of very well behaved kids toting around their little step stools being captivated by the layouts.  I certainly didn't feel like I was being crowded in or out at any point, and there felt like plenty of room for everybody.

Another triumph for the RMDC. Look forward to the next one!

For what it's worth, the Modelu stand amazed me no end. Such a fantastic idea, I never cease to be amazed by how people can apply modern technology in interesting ways (this from somebody who works in IT)...

All

Parking is always an issue in a sports stadium designed for the disabled user, on Saturday I tried my best to send all the gym and pool users to the overflow car park, they need to warm up before they use any equipment, and keep the better spaces for those older than me, disabled drivers we try and get them to park in the lodge, and if we have a car full of people we try and only send the driver to the overflow car park, very difficult juggling with every ones wants, but it does work ish.

Ian G

All

Parking is always an issue in a sports stadium designed for the disabled user, on Saturday I tried my best to send all the gym and pool users to the overflow car park, they need to warm up before they use any equipment, and keep the better spaces for those older than me, disabled drivers we try and get them to park in the lodge, and if we have a car full of people we try and only send the driver to the overflow car park, very difficult juggling with every ones wants, but it does work ish.

Ian G

I don't know if it was you who directed me to a parking bay on Saturday, but whoever it was was very helpful, as was the different bloke who directed me to the site's exit about three hours later.

The hall was fullish, the car park was rammed and I think the attendants did very well, thank you.

Regards

I did send many people out through the hospital on Saturday, if you are lucky to get parked with in the stadium it is easier to go out through the hospital, this saves you encountering all the nutty drivers around the estate on the way out.

Ian G

Archived