Peco 009 Track and N track

Bill

In anticipation of Heljan's release of the Barnstaple and Lynton Locos..

I am exploring putting together a small OO9 layout...

Does anyone know if the OO9 track that Peco makes is identical to the code 80 N gauge.

The only difference being only the use of larger sleepers at a wider spacing for the OO9 track...

I have been trying to find out. And so far have not been able to connect the dots...

My suspicion is that they are interchangeable in function but not in looks or aesthetic suitability...

I can't answer on OO9, but I'm using Peco OO track on the O-16.5 layout I'm just starting, as all the track will be buried in cobblestones, or ballasted over the sleepers. If I want small areas with sleepers showing, I'll replace the Peco ones with copper clad, or even card ones for a short distance.

• RMweb Gold

Yes they are interchangeable. Note the mainline and 'crazy track' sleeper options in the 009 range. There are also 9 inch radius points coming later this year in the new setrack range with the 'crazy' style sleepers.

I used N scale track in the hidden areas of a small OO9 layout I used to have. I never had any problems in operation.

Ken

Yes, OO9 'Crazy Track' and N Gauge Setrack are both Code 80 and compatible. When using the N Gauge track as OO9 I normnally remove carefully every other sleeper as this make it look more authentic. Watch out for the crossovers as they are Insulfrog. i normally place a mobile phone vibrator motor underneath to encourage any nervous locos across the diamond.

• 6 years later...

Heres a N curved point I have trimmed around every other sleeper off, subject to maintaing the structure of the point. I used a jewellers piercing saw and kept the main plastic structure in place so removing the sleeper ends and the part betweeen the rails. A pack of Peco N wooden sleepers was used to double the thickness of the remainding sleepers. Glue used was Loctite 60 second which generally worked okay although some regluing was needed and use of paper slipped under the moving sections to ensure the point did not get solidified. Using slow motion point motors so the clunky sections of plastic relating overcentre spring and Peco point motor mount removed. Towards the frog the wider gap is unfortunate but will easilly allow for the bonding the stock rail to the fixed part of the closure rail.

curved point.jpg

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1