Mikemeg's Workbench - Building locos of the North Eastern & LNER

LONDON ROAD MODELS LNER G5's

Not a lot of progress, this last few days!

A good friend offered me 'a pallet' of garden compost as they had overordered and had too much. This on condition that I shifted it. Now I had no idea what a pallet of garden compost might consist of so agreed to take it. Well it consisted of about thirty bags each weighing around eight stone, so around one and a half tons in total.

So, said pallet was duly confronted, last Friday. Unfortunately, the previous evening we had had rain, which the contents of the pallet duly absorbed. And this wasn't garden compost at all; it was farmyard manure - well rotted - and now very wet.

Anyway, five trips in the trusty hatchback saw the contents of the pallet moved but, on unloading after the last trip, my left elbow gave up the ghost. I suppose I moved around two and a half tons (into the car and out again with each bag) before the elbow went on strike.

The upshot of all this shifting of 'Ship High In Transit' (and yes that word is an acronym of this shipping instruction. Sea water and excrement would combine to give off methane, which would explode when a candle bearing member of the crew came to check on it. Hence the instruction to keep it high, and thus dry!) is that I've had to wait for the elbow to calm down to resume work on the models, which it seems to have done today.

I did take heed of the transit instruction, and no naked flames were exhibited in the trusty hatchback, throughout this transporting operation!!

So a group photograph of the G5's with a little more done on build #3.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-68591500-1524061758_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 7

I've clicked like for the line up of locos, not the duff elbow...

Could be worse; mustn't grumble (Yorkshire folk are supposed to say that!); I could have been left handed!

The day before all of this shifting of s--t, I went up to TMC with some mates, never having been before. TMC - The Model Centre - is located in Beck Hole, between Goathland and Grosmont on the North Yorkshire Moors, in a location which can only be described as idyllic. And what a 'palace of delights' this place is; stocking almost everything modelling related and some. So if any of you are up that way then turn off at Aidensfield in Heartbeat Country (Goathland) towards Beck Hole, and go take a look; it is wonderful!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

evening, Mike.  I learn more from this thread than just NER Loco building. When I mentioned your acronym to Mrs Rowanj, who had never heard of it, she did, however, know "Port Out, Starboard Home" which were the best cabins, apparently and thus inhabited by the wealthier.

I am enjoying the extended-tank G5, though have to say it does nothing for the aesthetics of a lovely loco.

Best wishes

John

evening, Mike.  I learn more from this thread than just NER Loco building. When I mentioned your acronym to Mrs Rowanj, who had never heard of it, she did, however, know "Port Out, Starboard Home" which were the best cabins, apparently and thus inhabited by the wealthier.

I am enjoying the extended-tank G5, though have to say it does nothing for the aesthetics of a lovely loco.

Best wishes

John

Thanks John.

Yes the extended tank G5; it's an ugly duckling which will grow up into an ugly duck!! But I have never seen a model of it so it had to be done!!

Regards and have a great Spring break.

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

Perhaps not North Eastern but certainly LNER and British Railways, this was the scene in Scarborough, this morning. Flying Scotsman arrived last night, with the station thronged with people. After turning and backing its train into Platform 1, the loco spent the night in Scarborough as did the travellers on the train, before setting off for Scotland.

Probably the steamiest departure that I've ever seen as the cylinder drain cocks were left open for quite a time.

It never fails to thrill and never fails to bring people out in their thousands to see it.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-51755300-1524215578_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-30105600-1524215611_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-22857100-1524215677_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 10

Had not been aware of the extended tank loco.

POSH: In the days before air conditioning, shipping lines charged a premium for the north facing cabin on the routes to India and China.

Best wishes

John

CARVING TOOL FOR PLASTIC BOILER BANDS

This posting and photo are for a friend of mine who is about to undertake a Bachmann J39 conversion. The tool is made from 15 thou nickel silver; actually a piece of scrap etch from a chassis fret. The tool is 35 mm long and 5 mm wide and was designed to try and prevent digging into the boiler when removing plastic embossed boiler bands.

The process was to use the tool vertically, initially, and then inclined more and more, using the larger radii of the tool, as the boiler band is removed, so that the largest radius curve is used to finally remove the embossed boiler band without digging into the surrounding boiler area.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-07833800-1524664403_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 3

Thanks for the image Mike

So it’s a dragging across action? Will possibly try the same with my curved blades

No, the action is in the same direction as the boiler band.  Dragging a blade across the boiler band might just tear the band off rather than gradually peel it away.

Cheers

Mike

Clever! 

I wrapped Tamiya masking tape either side of the boiler bands on mine to get them to a consistent thickness - i.e., sand or pare down until you reach masking-tape level. 

I think I might try that one!

Hope you don’t mind me posting Mike. The J39 arrived.

I didn’t feel brave enough to remove the boiler bands completely so I’ve gone with a daddyman’s suggestion and I’m shaving down the boiler bands. That’s how the first band is looking.

post-24300-0-66712500-1524771155_thumb.jpeg

post-24300-0-09014000-1524771208_thumb.jpeg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 2

Hope you don’t mind me posting Mike. The J39 arrived.

I didn’t feel brave enough to remove the boiler bands completely so I’ve gone with a daddyman’s suggestion and I’m shaving down the boiler bands. That’s how the first band is looking.

attachicon.gif64F953E7-3528-4589-BFF5-1AE6FD42C1F6.jpeg

attachicon.gifF40C625A-1AA0-4C01-8F94-D1F57486E2C5.jpeg

Tom,

Be my guest; you're very welcome to post on here. Perhaps we can follow this project, on this thread, as it proceeds.

And I think I would also use the tape as the datum for thinning the boiler bands, rather than removing them completely.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1

Tom,

Be my guest; you're very welcome to post on here. Perhaps we can follow this project, on this thread, as it proceeds.

And I think I would also use the tape as the datum for thinning the boiler bands, rather than removing them completely.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike

Here is how she currently looks. Boiler bands thinned and handrail holes plugged.

post-24300-0-89448800-1525009558_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Mike

Here is how she currently looks. Boiler bands thinned and handrail holes plugged.

Tom,

Looking very good, so far, Tom.

When you build the new chassis, if you're careful re the selection of the motor/gearbox combination and the drive axle, then a firebox front can be fitted, which does improve the appearance of the model. If you are planning to use the Dave Bradwell chassis kit, then that has a full set of inside motion - non-working - but it does, again, improve the appearance enormously.

I drove my conversion on the rear axle, though it should be possible to drive on the centre axle, if so desired, with a gearbox with an articulated drive carriage and the motor mounted vertically in the firebox. This does necessitate cropping the non geared motor shaft (if a Mashima motor is used -1420 fits nicely) but that is not difficult.

Keep posting on here, Tom, you're very welcome so to do.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

Everything is now soldered up on the superstructure for build #3 and is just stood on the chassis from build #2, while its own chassis is assembled. So now the ugly duckling begins its transformation to an ugly duck.

As one or two have observed, these extended tanks do nothing for the aesthetics of this G5 and, judging by the fact that only one was ever fitted with these extended tanks, the modification did very little for the performance either. Or perhaps the intention with extending the range of the G5's was overtaken by the availability and use of larger tank locomotives (A8's, V1's, etc.) on those workings for which this longer range G5 was intended?

So the end of this G5 project is now in sight.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-54825800-1525173535_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 8

Super, Mike, Well done! 

Thanks Dave; much appreciated.

This one, as do the other two, embodies all of the modifications developed as this project has proceeded :-

Splasher/sandbox profile slightly amended.

Dome casting (brass) re-profiled.

Additional layer of wrapper on smokebox to bring the diameter up to 5' 01/2".

Addition of quarter round 0.9 mm brass rod for the brass ring between boiler and smokebox.

Drilling of the boiler for the later LNER 69a boiler with the dome in the rear position (1' 9" further back than on the original boiler) and Ross pop valves and whistle located directly on the firebox top.

Mainframes rear sections inset, rather than tapered

Coupling rods significantly thinned and fluted webbing augented with 0.3 mm brass wire.

Brake rodding thinned and the rear section re-profiled and reworked.

External brake crank significantly reduced in thickness.

Further, mods to be made, will centre on the backhead and the external detailing.

None of this is any reflection on the accuracy or quality of the kit, which was drawn and developed in the late 1980's. But since this kit was developed, newer and far more accurate North Eastern Railway model castings have become available as well as other etchings.

I've now almost finished three of these kits and would commend the kit to anyone wanting to build a model of this ex-North Eastern Railway 0-4-4 tank.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Dave; much appreciated.

This one, as do the other two, embodies all of the modifications developed as this project has proceeded :-

Splasher/sandbox profile slightly amended.

Dome casting (brass) re-profiled.

Additional layer of wrapper on smokebox to bring the diameter up to 5' 01/2".

Addition of quarter round 0.9 mm brass rod for the brass ring between boiler and smokebox.

Drilling of the boiler for the later LNER 69a boiler with the dome in the rear position (1' 9" further back than on the original boiler) and Ross pop valves and whistle located directly on the firebox top.

Mainframes rear sections inset, rather than tapered

Coupling rods significantly thinned and fluted webbing augented with 0.3 mm brass wire.

Brake rodding thinned and the rear section re-profiled and reworked.

External brake crank significantly reduced in thickness.

Further, mods to be made, will centre on the backhead and the external detailing.

None of this is any reflection on the accuracy or quality of the kit, which was drawn and developed in the late 1980's. But since this kit was developed, newer and far more accurate North Eastern Railway model castings have become available as well as other etchings.

I've now almost finished three of these kits and would commend the kit to anyone wanting to build a model of this ex-North Eastern Railway 0-4-4 tank.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks, Mike - that's a good "to-do" list for future generations... 

• 2 weeks later...