The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Not living in the British Isles, pictures of your own area.

N15class

• 2 weeks later...

The old buffer ski pass was exercised today at Lookout Pass on the Idaho/Montana border. I tried to take a pic with my cell phone but either it's rubbish or I have no idea how to use it. This is a slightly older pic take with a "proper" camera. The conditions today were just like this but they won't be tomorrow. A large snow dump is expected here and even worse on the Cascades. Seattle will be cut off again :)

IMGP1495.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, AndyID said:

I read today that Snoqualmie Pass where the Interstate Highway I-90 crosses the Cascades has received 396 inches of snow so far this Winter. That's slightly over 10 meters :o

:O

I finished a hike there... a long time ago... it was 36 degrees, we did 35 miles in two days, and there most certainly was not snow on the ground! Quite incredible. Absolutely beautiful area. Amazing scenery. On my "must return" list.

Edited by Nova Scotian
Incorrect memory on temperature, so went back and checked the records!
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, AndyID said:

Snoqualmie Pass ... has received 396 inches of snow so far this Winter

The ski resort on Mt Hood now has a base of about 180"/ 4.5m.  This is a big recovery after an 'atmospheric river' brought rain at altitude in January.

From being at 67% of normal snowpack in January, the Hood region snowpack is now at 125% and the Willamette Valley snowpack is 107% of "normal" for this time of year. All this is great news. Not just for skiers and winter sports enthusiasts, but the snowpack is the source of our drinking (and beer brewing) water in the summer.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AndyID said:

I read today that Snoqualmie Pass where the Interstate Highway I-90 crosses the Cascades has received 396 inches of snow so far this Winter. That's slightly over 10 meters :o

During the winter of 1915/16, in the last year of construction of what became Canadian Pacific’s Kettle Valley Railway, crews on the top of Coquihalla Pass in the Canadian extension of the Cascades recorded snowfall of 67 feet.

• Informative/Useful 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

IMG_20210320_073923.jpg.fb6c2b278888bf68150fcbd4e4266934.jpg

For those of you who think it is always sunny in Spain!

Woke up this morning to snow on the mountain tops up the valley, not as much as my North American friends have just posted, but, far too much for my liking. At least when it thaws it will top up the reservoir.

Mike.

• Like 8

Mention of Snoqualmie Pass Ski slope reminds me of my 1960's college days at UW Seattle and after class afternoon skiing with a T-bar tow. 

Out of preference for a dryer, warmer existence I have lived the last 54 years in California where snow is a 120 mile away drive option if you want to endure it. 

On the verge of the equinox this is the milder life of the vale of Walnut Creek California. 

March 20 2021 Equinox in the Creek.jpg

Taken from the deck/veranda of my townhouse looking west to the Oakland hills.  San Francisco is beyond those hills.  Reachable by 3rd rail electric commuter EMU but built to Indian State Railways gauge of 5 foot 6 inches (BART).

Note that in true California form the faux forested town and hills beyond are all 20th century plantings. I cannot discern a native coastal oak anywhere in the picture.  The gum tree on the right comes from Australia. Others are eastern North American fire maples genetically engineered to turn vibrant colors in early October no matter what the 35-40 C weather tells a tree to do naturally. 

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 6

On 25/03/2021 at 17:15, Allegheny1600 said:

Just to mark the occasion of my adopted country’s 200th anniversary (today!) a scene showing that it does snow here in Greece. 

https://flic.kr/p/2kP1xMS

Sorry John, It comes up on my Lap Top as Adult content, and then takes me to Flicker but wont show any pics mate.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Sorry John, It comes up on my Lap Top as Adult content, and then takes me to Flicker but wont show any pics mate.

Thanks Andy.

I remember now, someone complained about one of my 16000+ pictures and Flicker marked my whole account as restricted. 
I think I have it sorted now though, I assure you that I have never had adult content on my photo stream, it’s just how Flickr marks restricted material.

Cheers,

John

22 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Thanks Andy.

I remember now, someone complained about one of my 16000+ pictures and Flicker marked my whole account as restricted. 
I think I have it sorted now though, I assure you that I have never had adult content on my photo stream, it’s just how Flickr marks restricted material.

Cheers,

John

I tried it just now and it still came up with the Adult content warning, but there was a clickable 'button' below that that asked if I wanted to proceed anyway. That worked.

• Thanks 1

Melbourne's CBD: the grounds of the old Royal Exhibition building.

IMG20210322135317.jpg.7544fad1360e26da070fdc2c9515ba70.jpg

A slightly earlier photo, looking across towards Mount Dandenong from the upper floor of our local medical centre. Shame about the wires going across.

P_20190911_122425_vHDR_On.jpg.75f0be4c7be9156f44498e2136317fdf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Managed a few days away just before Easter. This is William Bay / Greens Pool not far west of Albany.  It was quite overcast and then shortly after sunrise we had a break in the cloud that lasted for about a minute. Its about 350km from home - not sure if that classes in my own area!

1207213979_WilliamBaycopy.jpg.469560500562cbd885a1083332ed1416.jpg

Kind regards,

Iain

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Iain.d said:

Managed a few days away just before Easter. This is William Bay / Greens Pool not far west of Albany.  It was quite overcast and then shortly after sunrise we had a break in the cloud that lasted for about a minute. Its about 350km from home - not sure if that classes in my own area!

1207213979_WilliamBaycopy.jpg.469560500562cbd885a1083332ed1416.jpg

Kind regards,

Iain

Distance is relative in Australia, I reckon it's near enough!

Mike.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Decided to get up early this morning and take a few pictures. I only managed this one. Its an 8 minute exposure of a well known Perth landmark, Crawley Boat Shed.  While the shutter was open a young couple (oblivious to me) wandered onto the boardwalk, took a few selfies and wandered off - their imaging is very slightly apparent above and to the left of the door. Living only 15 minutes away and having reasonably predictable weather, I can always go back tomorrow!

862677973_CrawleyBoatShed.jpg.35488b20e9f8265399782ecba86b7b6c.jpg

Kind regards,

Iain

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
On 28/03/2021 at 07:30, SRman said:

...snip... A slightly earlier photo, looking across towards Mount Dandenong from the upper floor of our local medical centre. Shame about the wires going across.

P_20190911_122425_vHDR_On.jpg.75f0be4c7be9156f44498e2136317fdf.jpg

"Shame about the wires going across." Actually, I would have preferred that you zeroed-in on the pole and its associated hardware! I have collected insulators for many years and enjoy looking at how things are done in other counties.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

"Shame about the wires going across." Actually, I would have preferred that you zeroed-in on the pole and its associated hardware! I have collected insulators for many years and enjoy looking at how things are done in other counties.

The overhead wires are almost impossible to avoid, I'm afraid. Even my nice sunset pics from a few years ago suffer from wiring and cable runs. The second one might give you a small thrill, with insulators visible! :jester:

DSCN4926.JPG.fc7061d7f896a8a212e56cf7928d51c6.JPG

DSCN4928.JPG.3cb405d523ee130e668b9a918c9cf4b8.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Got up early this morning to go out and take some images.  First up I went to a local beach but it was covered in winter weed and grass (washed up from the ocean) so I decided to move closer to Fremantle. I got a coffee and drove onto the mole on the north side of Fremantle port and took this. 

1411950747_FremantleApproach-13Jun21(K1_0018).jpg.a35716f8de1493a12f3c073d65a55e2a.jpg

I was just about to pack up when a couple of tug boats passed in front of me, from left to right, heading out to Gage Roads and realised they were probably going out to guide a ship into the port. About five minutes later, round the end of the breakwater appeared the MSC Letizia.

822387736_FremantleApproachMSCLetizia-13Jun21(K1_0022).jpg.2fe3910035df6ec0d126630554d8f5de.jpg

Kind regards,

Iain

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I had reason to be in Perth CBD last night but had some time to spare so I decided to drive a little bit out of my way and go via South Perth. I have always loved the view to the city at night across the Swan River.  This was it a little after sunset, maybe 10 minutes too late as the colour in the sky is a little dark, but there are a few stars visible, even in this heavily compressed/reduced in size image.

Perth_K1_0036.jpg.8af6f1ff43da7b166ba947d0169a363f.jpg 

Just noticed that perhaps too many of the posts above this one are mine, and the viewers of this thread might be getting bored of pictures of my own area!

Kind regards,

Iain

Edited by Iain.d
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Iain.d said:

...snip... Just noticed that perhaps too many of the posts above this one are mine, and the viewers of this thread might be getting bored of pictures of my own area!

Kind regards,

Iain

Never, viewing your photos is a he!! of a lot cheaper (and SAFER!!!!) than viewing the locations in person. :yahoo:

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1