BFI Film 1963 Great North of Scotland

Waverley47708

Near the start of the film just after the steam hauled postal picks up the mail there is a shot of a pair of Class 26s at the same location. They are stationary then restart just beyond a signal showing clear. Wonder why they were stopped beyond a signal showing clear.

Any thoughts?

• RMweb Premium

I think someone on the forum ID'd the location as Stonehaven, in which case the train with the 26s is probably an Aberdeen-Edinburgh express. Footage later in the clip showed a similar train with 10 coaches on so if this train is similar, it's too long for the platform and has to stop with the locos in advance of the signal.

If this was a regular occurrence, it would be covered by local instructions or an entry in the Sectional Appendix. (IIRC fort william was similar)

Great little film with so many interesting things - shunter with wagons fore and aft, DMU tablet catcher in use, railbuses, royal train etc etc.

BTW, watched on a v. small screen so couldn't make it out, which Deltic was being named?

.....................  BTW, watched on a v. small screen so couldn't make it out, which Deltic was being named?

Given the cameraman's association with the Gordon Highlanders, I'd guess it was D9016 "Gordon Highlander" - hence the presence of GNoSR No.49 "Gordon Highlander" at the same event !

Alasdair

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen any of this before. There's some real gems there.....in particular,a rebuilt A2/2 in LNE livery but carrying BR numbers (they didn't last long in Scotland after that) and ultra-clean double-headed B1s on what I take to be the royal train arriving at Ballater. So many thanks to the OP.

DR

Archived