The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

I am told that if you use Kaspersky Security software an update is required (which costs) if you upgrade to 10. So it makes sense to wait until your K licence is due for renewal before making the switch. In any event waiting a while for the dust to settle and the bugs to be dealt with strikes me as a sound move.

• RMweb Gold

I've been using W10 for a couple of months now and it is working well along with open office.  However I'm starting to have a minor problem with RMWeb and wonder if it's W10 related.   Every so often when I'm browsing on here the RMWeb pat of the screen becomes unresponsive.  I can still move the mouse around and open another website via the browser but the RMWeb part of the screen and is completely dead.   Using Ctrl+Alt+Del  or Esc doesn't clear it.  The only solution appears to be to close MSEdge nd reopen it.

Jamie

I've also been using W10 for RMWeb since the beginning of August, but I'm not having the problems you describe.  However, I'm using IE11 rather than Edge as I think this new browser is still a work-in-progress. 

• RMweb Premium

I am told that if you use Kaspersky Security software an update is required (which costs) if you upgrade to 10. So it makes sense to wait until your K licence is due for renewal before making the switch. In any event waiting a while for the dust to settle and the bugs to be dealt with strikes me as a sound move.

That sounds unusual as normally with Kaspersky you can update at any time during your licence to a newer version without extra cost.

Norton Have updated theirs as part of an optional live update (at no extra cost) as they said the old version didn't work properly with Win 10

However both my Win 7 PCs with the updated Win 10 compatible version don't work correctly now on Win 7!

It has messed the start up. The internal workings however still seem to be fine (scans, updates etc.)

The Win 10 PC with Norton works as it should.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Nope - I have used Kaspersky for years and it works as expected. Updates are generally free unless you have a very (and I mean very) old version which hasn't been kept up to date - which defeats the object of having it at all. Im currently running 15.0.2.361 and have installed it on new W10 machines and have upgraded a couple and it all works. (I have several multiple machine licences)

• RMweb Gold

I've had trouble with both the Mac and Linux versions of LibreOffice (version 5.0.1 to be exact). While the file corruption bug has so far only occurred under OS X, both versions are prone to lose captions from images and tables in the document, especially when exporting to a PDF. The Linux version also completely locked up the desktop; I needed to get a terminal using CTRL+ALT+F1 and then kill it off.

At least on OS X it's possible to have both OpenOffice and LibreOffice installed at the same time; this is difficult or impossible on Linux.

As for the more stable version of LO (currently 4.4.5), it is also prone to caption-related bugs and cannot export a document with justified text correctly to PDF.

I also find that OO starts up about 3 times faster than LO; faster than Word does.

• RMweb Premium

Nope - I have used Kaspersky for years and it works as expected. Updates are generally free unless you have a very (and I mean very) old version which hasn't been kept up to date - which defeats the object of having it at all. Im currently running 15.0.2.361 and have installed it on new W10 machines and have upgraded a couple and it all works. (I have several multiple machine licences)

I used Kaspersky for years until a couple of years back thay wanted to sell me my 3 user license renewal at a special price which was the same as the list price for a brand new boxed copy!

At the time the consensus was that Norton and Kaspersky were neck and neck for trapping the unwanted and I found Norton with Utilities for half the price, so went Norton.

I'm up for renewal again this November and I will likely go back to Kaspersky as it seems to be back in front and the Norton offers are thinner on the ground.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

As for the more stable version of LO (currently 4.4.5), it is also prone to caption-related bugs and cannot export a document with justified text correctly to PDF.

LO is currently on 5.0.1 the second in the 5 series.

Keith

EDIT

When you say "justified text" what exactly is the problem.

I have just exported as a PDF a "Word" document which was opened in LO (4.3.7.2) and I can't see any difference between the two.

It has variable fonts, right, centre and left justified text and headings, plus some graphics, all were rendered correctly.

Edited by melmerby

I've used OpenOffice for many years, usually for word processing. I have used the spreadsheet, but certain formatting, tab colours and the like, seems to be lost on a save to Excel format, so I've stuck with Excel for compatibility with others.

One trait I've noticed is that OO is slower to start for the first time each day I use it - I don't need it every day. Because of the comments about LO above, I've installed it for trial purposes. I've just started both word processors, twice. On the first occasion the timing seemed to be similar between the 2 programs. but OO was noticeably quicker to start on the second occasion, by about 40% I think. Only a "count test" not a timed scientific test.

LO looks better, but both seem to work equally well for the limited work I do with it. I originally started with StarOffice. I used it to convert and reformat text output from DOS programs which didn't seem(I may be wrong) to be readily possible in Word at that time.

Colin

Latest Windows 10 problem!    After having another, 'Critical Error' warning which in effect means you have to shut down, I restarted it and as before it was doing an update.

Fine I thought perhaps it will include a fix this time.  But no.......

I have now lost all my Office applications.  No Word, no Excel, No PowerPoint, no nuthin'!!   It will only open things in Word Pad, but this loses some functions and settings that I used in templates for set correspondence.  This is a disaster for me, as it means I'm going to have to get my no. 2 computer up to speed and transfer docs from my back-up hard drive.

The only suggestion Windows Support(!!) could come up with was to BUY another complete Office package!   Switching to an Mac is now looking preferable! 

• RMweb Gold

I've used OpenOffice for many years, usually for word processing. I have used the spreadsheet, but certain formatting, tab colours and the like, seems to be lost on a save to Excel format, so I've stuck with Excel for compatibility with others.

One trait I've noticed is that OO is slower to start for the first time each day I use it - I don't need it every day. Because of the comments about LO above, I've installed it for trial purposes. I've just started both word processors, twice. On the first occasion the timing seemed to be similar between the 2 programs. but OO was noticeably quicker to start on the second occasion, by about 40% I think. Only a "count test" not a timed scientific test.

LO looks better, but both seem to work equally well for the limited work I do with it. I originally started with StarOffice. I used it to convert and reformat text output from DOS programs which didn't seem(I may be wrong) to be readily possible in Word at that time.

Colin

From Vista onwards, Windows employs program caching, using memory that is available and not required for anything else.  First time you load a program it has to get it off the hard drive, but when you close the program it leaves it in the memory cache. Provided the memory is not needed for anything else in the meantime, when you start the program the next time, Windows retrieves the program modules from the cache rather than accessing them on the disk.  This is why the second load is often a lot quicker.

Edited by RFS

From Vista onwards, Windows employs program caching, using memory that is available and not required for anything else.  First time you load a program it has to get it off the hard drive, but when you close the program it leaves in the memory cache. Provided the memory is not needed for anything else in the meantime, when you start the program the next time, Windows retrieves the program modules from the cache rather than accessing them on the disk.  This is why the second load is often a lot quicker.

I don't know for sure, but I think there may be a "stub" for LO which can be loaded at startup, in order to speed later loading. I haven't noticed that option with OO. I realise about the caching, but it was just a simple comparison done twice after seeing the earlier comment. As I said, unscientific.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

I've been using W10 for a couple of months now and it is working well along with open office.  However I'm starting to have a minor problem with RMWeb and wonder if it's W10 related.   Every so often when I'm browsing on here the RMWeb pat of the screen becomes unresponsive.  I can still move the mouse around and open another website via the browser but the RMWeb part of the screen and is completely dead.   Using Ctrl+Alt+Del  or Esc doesn't clear it.  The only solution appears to be to close MSEdge nd reopen it.

Jamie

I had the same problem with Firefox. It was my usual habit to leave it 'open' when I switched my computer off but I found that since I closed everything before switching my computer off I've had no problem.

I've found Firefox to be less stable since the flurry of version updates over the last 6 months. I've held the version I'm using at the moment at 39. Other machines have gone up to 43, I think, and incompatibilities seem to have been introduced with some banking websites - I now use Chrome for these - and Rapport.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

I've found Firefox to be less stable since the flurry of version updates over the last 6 months. I've held the version I'm using at the moment at 39. Other machines have gone up to 43, I think, and incompatibilities seem to have been introduced with some banking websites - I now use Chrome for these - and Rapport.

Colin

My computers are on 40 and it claims to be the latest version and hasn't updated for a while.

Keith

The last firefox version is 40.0.03 and is working fine on win10, 64bit here, but prior to that there were some versions that were a bit iffy on some websites. I have a few addons installed, which afaik are not available in other browsers. I believe firefox renders html5 better than most other browsers, and tries to comply with W3c standards, whereas  Microsoft tend to do their own thing, having the bigger market share.

• RMweb Premium

The last firefox version is 40.0.03 and is working fine on win10, 64bit here, but prior to that there were some versions that were a bit iffy on some websites. I have a few addons installed, which afaik are not available in other browsers. I believe firefox renders html5 better than most other browsers, and tries to comply with W3c standards, whereas  Microsoft tend to do their own thing, having the bigger market share.

The problem Firefox has is that it's not part of big business and therefore doesn't come as the default browser on company products.

In the US where Apple products are more common than the rest of the World Safari is tops with Chrome second and IE third, Firefox is only in fourth place with about 10% of market share.

However IE is losing share year on year and could eventually fall behind Firefox.

Safari wins because it is available on all Apple phones, tablets and PCs

Chrome is high up because of the large number of Android devices which use it.

Worldwide MS Windows has the largest share of OS in computers, it's phone and tablet market however is miniscule.

Due to the sheer number of PCs this means it it also by far the largest OS used worldwide on all devices.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Well I downloaded LO but I can't get into it without a sign in. I think that the problem may be because cookies are currently disabled and LO asks for cookies to be accepted. I'm not that good with computers and I cant find how to enable cookies. I'm on Firefox, how can I enable cookies please?

Well I downloaded LO but I can't get into it without a sign in. I think that the problem may be because cookies are currently disabled and LO asks for cookies to be accepted. I'm not that good with computers and I cant find how to enable cookies. I'm on Firefox, how can I enable cookies please?

Tools > Options > Privacy. Under History tick "Accept cookies from sites"

Brian

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't want you to sign in, it wants administrator privileges to install itself. Normal procedure on Unix/Linux systems for decades, fairly new on Win-OS ;) (started with XP or Vista, IIRC)

Panic over, when I closed Firefox it was sitting there ready for use. When I clicked on the icon it opened my Firefox page with an additional tab for Libre Office, not really sure now what that was. This time I clicked on the icon and it showed the LO page as normal. Seems OK now but thanks for your help and advice all.

That's good news. I was told that you could update but you needed a code from K, and it was at that point that a charge was made. Obviously my informant was wrong.

My computers are on 40 and it claims to be the latest version and hasn't updated for a while.

Keith

I've been travelling today, hence delay in posting. I think I'd become confused with the Chrome updates. The machine I'm on is at #45. As to Firefox this machine is updating 40.0.02>03 as I type. The updates I was referring to with Firefox were 39>40 and the "point" updates thereafter. These updates were on WinXP, 7, and 8.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

I've been travelling today, hence delay in posting. I think I'd become confused with the Chrome updates. The machine I'm on is at #45. As to Firefox this machine is updating 40.0.02>03 as I type. The updates I was referring to with Firefox were 39>40 and the "point" updates thereafter. These updates were on WinXP, 7, and 8.

Colin

Mine is 40.0 3 which has updated from 40.0.2 without my knowledge. It seems the "point" updates are very minor but the whole numbers usually need a browser restart.

Keith

My upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 on my laptop seemed to go very smoothly and took around 90 minutes. All looked OK but I found that all the entries in my Calendar app have disappeared. 

Perhaps Microsoft has cancelled all my future appointments so I have time to attend to the rest of the Win 10 glitches to come.......

Ian

An update to be fair to Microsoft - having made a bit of a jokey remark in my previous post :

I was annoyed about the loss of my calendar entries and decided to revert to Windows 8.1 - an easy process if you do it within the 30 days that Microsoft allow you.

I then decided to upgrade the various laptops that my wife & I have accumulated over the years. This is how I got on:

1] An Acer 7720 17" screen laptop that came with Windows Vista. It has a great screen but was always a very poor performer. I bought a Windows 7 CD and activation code cheaply on Ebay and did a fresh install to avoid any any Vista cr*p carrying forward and found that the performance was much better. I then downloaded a free Win 10 upgrade ISO DVD image and ran that. the update ran smoothly and I now reckon Windows 10 is even faster than 7...My wife has now "bagged" this laptop and prefers it to the new one (PC 4 below)

2] A tiny Samsung N110 10" Netbook (used to keep up with RMWEB on holiday etc.) which came with Win XP.  Again I bought a Windows 7 activation key on Ebay and downloaded a Windows 7 ISO CD image and again went for a complete fresh install. WIndows 7 ran OK so on to Windows 10!. In fairness to this tiny machine I upped the RAM to 2GB (from Ebay) It  runs very well though some of my software, particularly MS Office 2000, doesn't work at all but I've installed Windows live Mail (free) to replace Outlook and Open Office (free) to replace Excel and Word.

3] After the success with the first two I had a go with an ancient Acer 1691WLMI laptop which crawled along with Windows XP on 512GB RAM. I only use this machine for use with Hornby Railmaster and E-link (I mostly use a ZTC 511 but occasionally use the PC) but it's performance was lousy. After de-activating the Railmaster and saving it's data files I upped the RAM (cheaply) to 2GB and did a fresh install of Windows 7. Ran into display driver trouble here but a search on the internet found an Intel driver download (a later XP version) which worked OK on 7. At this point I was very pleased with the improvement on the old machine being a masochist I had to have a go at windows 10... It worked OK but this time I couldn't find a suitable graphics chipset driver and rather than leave it with a low resolution display I used the Windows 10 backout process to go back to Windows 7, I now have a very nice performing PC for DCC operation at least!

4] Having now got used to Windows 10, and actually liking it, I took the plunge and re-installed Windows 10 on my main Windows 8.1 Samsung laptop (Samsung NP350E7C). OK it again lost my calendar data but this time I was prepared and re-entered everything!

Ian