The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

In the first 4 weeks it claimed 5% of the total PC market.

I might wait for another year before claiming my free upgrade, but I'll probably switch from 7 in the future.

If you wait another year you will be outside the 12 month free window (sic!)

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm starting to get really pi##ed off with the Windows 10 experience. :angry:

At the beginning of August I upgraded a laptop which was running Windows 8.1 and until a couple of weeks ago all seemed to be OK. I don't use it every day, in fact perhaps once or twice a week, so it doesn't get updates straight away.

2 weeks ago the Wi-fi stopped working, just would not connect. Went through all the various options, Wi-fi was turned off, click to turn it back on, after a couple of seconds it turned itself back off. The problem seemed to start when a couple of updates were installed, KB3081449 and KB3081452. Microsoft infer that a System Restore point is set when an update is done, so I looked for a Restore point and found none. Great !!! :scratchhead: 

Next obvious thing to do was uninstall the updates, so I removed KB3081449 as it was first on the list, and bingo, Wi-fi returned :sungum: 

So why did I not have any System Restore points, that wonderful idea that Microsoft introduced with Windows ME and has saved my bacon on a number of occasions. Apparently in Windows 10 System Restore is turned OFF by default :O.  Article here about turning it on

http://www.tekrevue.com/how-to-enable-system-restore-windows-10/

Of course with automatic updates, KB3081449 is still there waiting to be installed next time I use the laptop  :no2: 

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Had the same problems, wiped out wifi only way out was to recovery system back to when 10 was installed, trouble is you can not turn off auto updates to stop problem starting again. Decided to go back to 8.1 then found the much hyped Microsoft rollback only lasts for 30 days. Following other problems found that recovery disk I made when first upgrading was faulty now had to pay for recovery pack from notebook manufacture. This will be the last time I buy a windows based system.

Troubles with WiFi  in Widowers Ten - cured by rebooting - sometimes... usually - well not always but mostly if you get what I mean -

It's not really that scientific..

But if   when  it does go off and you ask for help, you get this weird notice saying that you can choose a connection - then it offers no options when clicked!!

So something majorly wrong here - hence the only solution is to reboot - do not under any circumstances press "restart... "

Windows X seems to have a memory of previous mistakes and likes to repeat them...

Trouble with video/audio playback - repeatedly cured and uncured by successive downloads of upgrades to the Radeon Video card -

I have never had so many upgrades to a video card driver in the life of any computer before.

Radeon really must be having a real hard time of it with this Microsoft "Downgrade" to Windows 10  X (X is for unknown solved only by using Newton's method it would seem)

Now It may appear that Windows Ten is driving me mad - criminally insane.... :ireful:  

But really I am taking it all my stride - really! Honestly - Believe me - I am you know - I really am....

• RMweb Gold

I had the update yesterday for both a desktop (upgraded from W7) and a laptop (upgraded from W7, then had a clean W10 install).  Neither had System Restore enabled, but they have now.

• RMweb Gold
brigo, on 01 Oct 2015 - 22:00, said:

2 weeks ago the Wi-fi stopped working, just would not connect. Went through all the various options, Wi-fi was turned off, click to turn it back on, after a couple of seconds it turned itself back off. The problem seemed to start when a couple of updates were installed, KB3081449 and KB3081452.

Brian

There have been several problems reported with Wi-Fi and Windows 10 which it is believed are being caused by the Wi-Fi device drivers.  I would recommend finding out which Wi-Fi card your laptop has, and seeing if there's an up-to-date version of its device driver.

There have been several problems reported with Wi-Fi and Windows 10 which it is believed are being caused by the Wi-Fi device drivers.  I would recommend finding out which Wi-Fi card your laptop has, and seeing if there's an up-to-date version of its device driver.

You may have hit upon the problem, but it is the latest drivers which may be causing it. My adapter is an Intel Centrino Wireless N 2230, driver version 15.16.0.2, which is supplied by Microsoft as Intel do not provide a driver for Windows 10. It appears that this driver puts the adapter into a lower power setting when running on battery which older drivers did not. A setting needs to be changed :-

Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Power Options > Edit Plan Settings. Select Advanced Power Settings > Wireless Adapter Settings > Power Saving Mode and select On Battery. It should be set to Medium Power Saving, change this to Maximum Performance, and Apply.

Fingers crossed, it seems to have cured the problem.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Trouble with video/audio playback - repeatedly cured and uncured by successive downloads of upgrades to the Radeon Video card -

I have never had so many upgrades to a video card driver in the life of any computer before.

Radeon really must be having a real hard time of it with this Microsoft "Downgrade" to Windows 10  X (X is for unknown solved only by using Newton's method it would seem)

Still no problem with my desktop PC running W10 (updated from Win XP to W7 to W10, then clean installed Win 10), the Radeon card (HD6450) is working flawlessly and has AFAIK only had the initial W10 update.

SWMBOs laptop (Celeron dual core) is also happy running W10.

Both run better under Win 10 than they did under Win 7 and Win 8.1 respectively. (seem to be less resource hungry)

Keith

I don't know if Microsoft are being sneaky, but I've got Windows 7 set to check for updates but not download, except that I've just spotted that it had changed to install automatically, and it was ready to install the dreaded KB3035583 when I shut down. Hopefully I've stopped it. It may be that I clicked on something by mistake, but if you're trying to avoid Windows 10 it might be worth checking your settings.

Hi John,

just shove it into a search engine and you get a whole load of answers - http://superuser.com/questions/745348/cannot-find-windows-update-2952664-in-windows-7 seems it was for some versions of w7. To remove the one you were looking for -  http://www.myce.com/news/how-to-uninstall-kb3035583-the-windows-10-downloader-for-windows-7-and-8-1-75681/ for example

hth

Best Wishes, Ray

• RMweb Premium

That doesn't look a natural response to me.

Have certain key words "Windows 7" "Win 10 Update Error" etc. triggered an automatic message? (Based on questions that has been asked many times before?)

Keith

Hi Keith,

You could be right. I know that within M$ Visual Studio, most of the help is merely comments pulled out from the software, if the programmers bothered to enter any within the code*.  I've added a critical comment to the link. I wonder if there will be deleted, or a further reply given by Ramesh.

It is not unusual - I find that if you ask a question of most any organisation, which requires more than one sentence to explain the question, only the first few 'meaningful words' get a response. I think it is because much of the customer interface is farmed out to third parties, (often in other countries) who just follow screen prompts for key words.

Best wishes,

Ray

* their on-line help for Microsoft Visual Studio now refers you to sources other than Microsoft - such as 'Code Project', 'Stack Overflow', forums and blogs, but that seems to work OK, if you are not the first to hit a problem.

• Like 1

Hi John,

just shove it into a search engine and you get a whole load of answers - http://superuser.com/questions/745348/cannot-find-windows-update-2952664-in-windows-7 seems it was for some versions of w7. To remove the one you were looking for -  http://www.myce.com/news/how-to-uninstall-kb3035583-the-windows-10-downloader-for-windows-7-and-8-1-75681/ for example

hth

Best Wishes, Ray

I've got a program to remove KB3035583 on my Desktop, so I can easily double-click on it if it ever rears it's ugly head anywhere near my computer. Plus a shortcut to the Windows Download folder, so I can check for, and delete, sneaky downloads. Windows 10 is not invading my life!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just upgraded this, my main desktop, computer to Win10

I have run the other two PCs for three months and with no issues decided it was time to go for it, especially as my Norton subscription expires today.

All went through quite painlessly and nothing seems to have baulked at trying to run under Win10.

Norton's Win10 compatible version was pants on Win 7.

It didn't update properly and I couldn't get rid of the "tour" screen on startup. I also kept getting subscription reminders in Spanish although it was set to English!

If they can't get such basic things right, how good is the Anti-virus protection?

Decided to go back to Kaspersky IS

Interestingly Win10 now has this screen which is didplayed whilst updating:

post-6208-0-39672300-1446379942_thumb.jpg

Much better than the blank screens I had on the previous 2 upgrades

Keith

Upgraded to Win10 a week ago and had the screenshot in a previous post so I knew what was going on.

Seemed to take about 4 hours to become fully fuctionable. It came up with an interesting screen saying things were taking a little longer than expected.

I noticed that startup and shut down is appreciably faster than Win7, so that was a plus.

The only crash seemed to be when I was running Openrails, but it seemed to recover whatever after some thought/time and has not had a repeat.

It also seemed to get a little confused with Ebay and TurboLister, but I think that has been sorted now.

I refuse to use Edge? and use Opera and Opera Mail anyway.

• RMweb Gold

"...came up with an interesting screen saying things were taking a little longer than expected."  - I got that too.  Doesn't that imply it was predictable and therefore not unexpected?

"I noticed that startup and shut down is appreciably faster than Win7."  - Faster still once you've spent few minutes turning off and/or uninstalling all the stuff you didn't want in the first place.  (Even though I opted to go through the custom setup to prevent what I could at installation.)

OK so far for me but I haven't been using it a week yet.

Although I seriously dislike the assumption that we are all happy to default to sending unnecessary amounts of reporting data to MS, I do feel that they've done a decent job of rolling out an upgrade that works quite well and was simple to install.

• RMweb Premium

Although I seriously dislike the assumption that we are all happy to default to sending unnecessary amounts of reporting data to MS,

Just make sure you disable them all during the install.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Just make sure you disable them all during the install.

Keith

I thought I had but since completing instalation I have reviewed everything I can see and turned off a lot more plus uninstalled as much unwanted junk as I can.

Yes, there do seem to be a few things that I cannot get rid of completely.