The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

Right-click on the start menu always does provide a language menu.  It's left-click that provides the functionality.

Have you upgraded to the 1511 version? 

Thanks for the suggestion - I suppose I could try - Don't answer but How does one do that?

• RMweb Gold
Bill, on 29 Nov 2015 - 02:10, said:

Thanks for the suggestion - I suppose I could try - Don't answer but How does one do that?

Windows Update should do it for you automatically - eventually. First of all, check it hasn't already been done. Right-click on the start button, select command prompt and enter winver.  This will tell you your current version. If it's not 1511 then you can either wait for WU to do it for you, or if you want to do it now at a time of your choosing then go here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 - and select upgrade now.  The upgrade will take 60-90 minutes.

Thanks for the advice

However - I decided one more try!

Last night, overnight I re-installed windows 10..

In the morning I was welcomed by a still functioning computer..

(Sighs of relief....)

All one had to do was sign in - then wait a bit through a series of "informative" blue screens.

Then it  was all good to go.

Start menu has returned - but minus all those pictures gleaned from the hard drive.

Now, I wonder where they all went?

Meanwhile I'll count the days until the start menu does another vanishing act!

Here's another couple of anomalies in Windows 10 (I presume),

1. In windows Media Player, brought forward from windows 8 etc., every time I try to rip a cd into my library, it all comes up in Japanese! Never did this before upgrade. It means I have to go through re-finding all the album info again in English!

2. Having two computers upgraded, why do they react differently, as noted before one computer lost the printer info, but the other didn't, and when I shut down one machine I get a second screen showing all options but the other computer just does it! Most odd! Could this be because one machine is Intel based and the other AMD?

Weirder and weirder!

• RMweb Premium

Here's another couple of anomalies in Windows 10 (I presume),

Could this be because one machine is Intel based and the other AMD?

Weirder and weirder!

Not on my AMD based one. (Athlon 64) it behaves just like the Intel ones

I've got 4 machines on Win 10 and they are pretty consistent. One AMD 64, Two Core i7 and one Celeron dual core.

The variations are no more or less than with Win 7.

Keith

For anyone who wants to restrict the info your computer sends back to Microsoft the Nov update reset one aspect which you may have restricted, DiagTrack in the original Win10 has been renamed  ‘Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Service' and reactivated.

To disable this hold down the Windows key and tap the R key, type  services.msc  in the box that appears - Enter.

The ‘Services (Local)’ section will appear. Find ‘Connected User Experiences and Telemetry’ and double-click it
Click ‘Stop’ in In the ‘Service status’ section and above that change the Startup box using its drop down menu to Disabled then OK to close the window and then close the Services status section.

Edited by Butler Henderson

I have a MacBook Pro which also runs Windows 7. It has a flash drive so the start up is very quick.

I loaded Windows 10 on Monday evening, taking nearly 4 hours! After installation I noticed that it now took a lot longer to start up under 10 and I didn't fancy having to relearn my way around the new desktop. Why should I? Surely it is not beyond their wit to give me, the consumer, an option to leave my existing desktop interface if I want to and not be forced into doing what Microsoft want.

The outcome? I reverted to Windows 7.

Very disappointed.

• RMweb Premium

I have a MacBook Pro which also runs Windows 7. It has a flash drive so the start up is very quick.

I loaded Windows 10 on Monday evening, taking nearly 4 hours! After installation I noticed that it now took a lot longer to start up under 10 and I didn't fancy having to relearn my way around the new desktop. Why should I? Surely it is not beyond their wit to give me, the consumer, an option to leave my existing desktop interface if I want to and not be forced into doing what Microsoft want.

The outcome? I reverted to Windows 7.

Very disappointed.

So you expected Win10 to be exactly the same as Win7? Why?

It's similar, I removed all the tiles and it now looks the same as Win 7.

Win 10 is faster to load than Win 7 so any problem is with your kit.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I'm on 10 and yesterday it did a big update download before coming to life.   It replaced my wallpaper without asking me but the main thing that has annoyed me is that I've now lost wireless contact with my printer.   As I tend to use the laptop downstairs and the printer is upstairs I'm hoping that I can sort this.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I've not had (touching a tree whilst I type) any issues with W10 - one thing I do is to only use local accounts. I don't want my W10 logon linked to an email address thank you very much Bill.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

From a post on another, non-PC related forum I'm on, I got this link to some disturbing info' about Windows 10. I post it for you to decide if you need to take action or not.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.html

There are 2 pages to the article.

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253

• RMweb Gold
mezzoman253, on 03 Dec 2015 - 13:48, said:mezzoman253, on 03 Dec 2015 - 13:48, said:

Hi,

From a post on another, non-PC related forum I'm on, I got this link to some disturbing info' about Windows 10. I post it for you to decide if you need to take action or not.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.html

There are 2 pages to the article.

Rob

Not really disturbing as Microsoft is not doing anything sinister.  However, as the article relates, you have the option via the privacy settings to prevent data being sent to MS.

See also http://www.networkworld.com/article/2957205/microsoft-subnet/tweaks-to-windows-10-settings-for-privacy.html

Bear in mind that turning off some privacy settings also means disabling Windows features that you might actually use. 

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

Not really disturbing as Microsoft is not doing anything sinister.  However, as the article relates, you have the option via the privacy settings to prevent data being sent to MS.

See also http://www.networkworld.com/article/2957205/microsoft-subnet/tweaks-to-windows-10-settings-for-privacy.html

Bear in mind that turning off some privacy settings also means disabling Windows features that you might actually use. 

Well basically it's default is to take all your data and use it as it sees fit. If you upgrade for free, or purchase it, you sign up to it. Otherwise you don't move to Windows 10. 

There's a fine line between improving functionality and data mining. If you are happy, carry on. Just my opinion and I'm a Windows user too, just not 10.

Another link that may be of use. http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Rob

• RMweb Premium

MS is no different to many others.

I have a Sony camera.

If I install the Sony software suite that accompanies it, It will upload to Sony data on how often you use your camera, when the photos were taken etc.

I haven't installed it and as such am doing without one or two useful features!

Unfortunately that's the way it is going, you either use technology and get spied on or don't use it at all and someone else will probably spy on you. :nono:

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
mezzoman253, on 03 Dec 2015 - 14:41, said:mezzoman253, on 03 Dec 2015 - 14:41, said:

Well basically it's default is to take all your data and use it as it sees fit. If you upgrade for free, or purchase it, you sign up to it. Otherwise you don't move to Windows 10. 

There's a fine line between improving functionality and data mining. If you are happy, carry on. Just my opinion and I'm a Windows user too, just not 10.

Another link that may be of use. http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Rob

No, MS do not take all your data and upload it to their servers.  Think about it - MS are the most heavily watched company in the world, and everything they do is subject to intense scrutiny.  It just isn't the case that they can copy all of your data on currently 135m W10 PCs without anybody noticing! I upgraded my 4 PCs to W10 in early August.  Between them they have about 3 Tb of data. The stats from my router for August showed less than 1 Gb uploaded, much of which was probably pictures being exchanged, plus email and the usual constant handshaking between router and exchange.

If you're worried about privacy, then W10 should be the least of your concerns in that regard, especially if you've set the privacy settings to what you're happy with.  Your ISP retains copies of all your emails - both sent and received, and details of every web-site you visit.  Your phone company keeps a record of every call you make and receive. And what do the likes of Google and Amazon record about you? As to social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter, everything you record there is on their servers and available for scrutiny, as some cyber-bullies have found to their cost. 

The world is a far more connected place since Windows 7 came out 6 years ago, and the functions in Windows 10 simply reflect that.

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

No, MS do not take all your data and upload it to their servers.  Think about it - MS are the most heavily watched company in the world, and everything they do is subject to intense scrutiny.  It just isn't the case that they can copy all of your data on currently 135m W10 PCs without anybody noticing! I upgraded my 4 PCs to W10 in early August.  Between them they have about 3 Tb of data. The stats from my router for August showed less than 1 Gb uploaded, much of which was probably pictures being exchanged, plus email and the usual constant handshaking between router and exchange.

If you're worried about privacy, then W10 should be the least of your concerns in that regard, especially if you've set the privacy settings to what you're happy with.  Your ISP retains copies of all your emails - both sent and received, and details of every web-site you visit.  Your phone company keeps a record of every call you make and receive. And what do the likes of Google and Amazon record about you? As to social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter, everything you record there is on their servers and available for scrutiny, as some cyber-bullies have found to their cost. 

The world is a far more connected place since Windows 7 came out 6 years ago, and the functions in Windows 10 simply reflect that.

Quoted from one of the articles, it's from the end user agreement for Windows 10 "Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary." That seems pretty plain.

Their interpretation of necessary and mine probably won't match. 

This is an operating system not an ISP or search engine. ISPs and teleco's probably have a legal obligation to record your calls and mail.

Twatter and Farcebook is mostly inane chat and I wouldn't give it house room.

I'll leave it there and we'll have to agree to disagree.

Rob

• RMweb Gold
mezzoman253, on 03 Dec 2015 - 22:21, said:mezzoman253, on 03 Dec 2015 - 22:21, said:mezzoman253, on 03 Dec 2015 - 22:21, said:mezzoman253, on 03 Dec 2015 - 22:21, said:

Quoted from one of the articles, it's from the end user agreement for Windows 10 "Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary." That seems pretty plain.

No, you are still wrong. That statement only applies to data you have chosen to upload to Microsoft's own servers (eg Outlook.com, OneDrive etc.).  It does not apply to any data you have solely on your own PC. Furthermore, you have given a doctored and incomplete version of  the agreement.  This is the full statement, from Microsoft's own website, which reads quite differently:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails in Outlook.com, or files in private folders on OneDrive), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:

1. comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
  2. protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
  3. operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
  4. protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

You can read the full details of the MS privacy agreement here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/privacystatement/default.aspx. And note also that this privacy agreement applies to all versions of Windows, not just Windows 10.

Further explanation is also provided here - http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microsoft-is-not-spying-on-you-with-windows-10/ . Of particular note is that the likes of Google and Apple have almost identical privacy statements to that of MS.  It's pretty standard practice for all Companies that in one way or another have copies of your data.  And once again, it only applies to data you have chosen to upload to them. Quite simply, if you don't use Outlook.com for email, or OneDrive for backup, MS doesn't have any of your personal data.

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

No, you are still wrong. That statement only applies to data you have chosen to upload to Microsoft's own servers (eg Outlook.com, OneDrive etc.).  It does not apply to any data you have solely on your own PC. Furthermore, you have given a doctored and incomplete version of  the agreement.  This is the full statement, from Microsoft's own website, which reads quite differently:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails in Outlook.com, or files in private folders on OneDrive), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:

1. comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
  2. protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
  3. operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
  4. protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

You can read the full details of the MS privacy agreement here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/privacystatement/default.aspx. And note also that this privacy agreement applies to all versions of Windows, not just Windows 10.

Further explanation is also provided here - http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microsoft-is-not-spying-on-you-with-windows-10/ . Of particular note is that the likes of Google and Apple have almost identical privacy statements to that of MS.  It's pretty standard practice for all Companies that in one way or another have copies of your data.  And once again, it only applies to data you have chosen to upload to them. Quite simply, if you don't use Outlook.com for email, or OneDrive for backup, MS doesn't have any of your personal data.

Hi,

Thanks for pointing to the link, very informative. It does seem the anti-MS brigade are out in force. I've no particular beef with any of the major OS providers, ISP's or Search houses. I was passing on, in good faith, something I thought was important to be aware of. My initial post did contain the words " I post it for you to decide if you need to take action or not." Perhaps a little more research was in order.

The web is a minefield, ready to trip you up at the slightest chance. Even Zdnet published it initially it seems.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253

• RMweb Premium

This "1511" update doesn't seem to come to all computers yet (And,yes I have downloaded but not yet installed the ISO version of the update).

My Railway Room computer (this one) has just done a several minute "Windows Update" automatically and it still hasn't had "1511"!

I would have thought that MS would have liked everyone to be on the latest edition before releasing other updates. :scratchhead:

Keith

I've a feeling that if you have not disabled all the info. they want you to send back to them, that updates, etc., are installed quicker. I've not really noticed any thing different with the 1511 update. I have an intermittant video driver problem (intel, iirc) screen blanks, mainly in firefox. I'd written a more detailed reply, which just got wiped. Had a problem with an update, which took a while to resolve, but everything runs as expected.

• RMweb Premium

I've a feeling that if you have not disabled all the info. they want you to send back to them, that updates, etc., are installed quicker. I've not really noticed any thing different with the 1511 update. I have an intermittant video driver problem (intel, iirc) screen blanks, mainly in firefox. I'd written a more detailed reply, which just got wiped. Had a problem with an update, which took a while to resolve, but everything runs as expected.

I looked at the updates just done and there was a IE update and the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.

The WMSRT was a "failed" download"!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Takes a while and, as usual, you need to go through and check all the settings you changed previously to make sure what you want turned off or deactivated is how you want it.  I found a mixed picture: some things hadn't come back, others had and needed turning off again.

Installation is more than an opportunity for a cup of tea/coffee, more a full meal.  Then a good half hour to check through all the settings and turn off/uninstall as required.

• RMweb Premium

That a load of other things also behave appallingly (even if in some cases they're being made to do so by law) isn't a defence. "Everyone else does it" cuts no mustard as an excuse. That so many people so meekly accept anything being recorded unless there's a damned good reason to do so is depressing enough.

• RMweb Premium

Got the 1511 update on my main computer today. (Build 10586.29)

Whole lot took less than 30mins to download and update (plus the time to reset all my privacy settings to where they were!)

Can't see much difference - looks the same, operates the same apart from Cortana.

Keith

Edited by melmerby