Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I've recently upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. It all seems fine except for one annoyance.

Its set for automatic updates (I'm OK with that setting), but it has an annoying habit of restarting once its internal setting timer to restart has timed out.

I can change the length of time that it prompts that a restart is required, but cannot get it to wait until I'm prepared to restart it (ie closing running programs). As it result it forces programs to turn off.

Any ideas?

I use a MacBook Pro with Boot Camp and am running Windows 10 (upgraded from Window 7) so that I can use Microsoft Publisher )amongst other programs not available under IOS).

I can categorically state that it takes almost twice as long (53 seconds compared with 28 seconds) to get to the desktop under Windows 10 than it used to under Windows 7. I see no obvious speed improvement with any other programs. BTW, I have made use of Avast to ensure that I am not carrying any "excess baggage" at start up.

My Apple is fitted with a flash drive.

So I conclude Windows 10 is slower at start up - more work to do Microsoft, I'm afraid, if you really want an operating system acceptable to all.

Please remember that this operating system, will no doubt, soon REQUIRE A SUBSCRIPTION.

I am not a great fan of IOS upgrades either other than bug fixes but at least they're free (well I suppose that they're included in the initial higher price for an Apple machine).

I just report things as I find them so please don't shoot the messenger. However, if anyone has any constructive ideas how I can improve my start up time, then please let me know.

Edited by terrysoham

• RMweb Gold
terrysoham, on 01 Jan 2016 - 08:20, said:terrysoham, on 01 Jan 2016 - 08:20, said:terrysoham, on 01 Jan 2016 - 08:20, said:

I use a MacBook Pro with Boot Camp and am running Windows 10 (upgraded from Window 7) so that I can use Microsoft Publisher )amongst other programs not available under IOS).

I can categorically state that it takes almost twice as long (53 seconds compared with 28 seconds) to get to the desktop under Windows 10 than it used to under Windows 7. I see no obvious speed improvement with any other programs. BTW, I have made use of Avast to ensure that I am not carrying any "excess baggage" at start up.

So I conclude Windows 10 is slower at start up - more work to do Microsoft, I'm afraid, if you really want an operating system acceptable to all.

Please remember that this operating system, will no doubt, soon REQUIRE A SUBSCRIPTION.

I am not a great fan of IOS upgrades either other than bug fixes but at least they're free (well I suppose that they're included in the initial higher price for an Apple machine).

I just report things as I find them so please don't shoot the messenger. However, if anyone has any constructive ideas how I can improve my start up time, then please let me know.

You are running W10 in an environment is not the same as native Windows PCs.  Just because it takes your PC longer to get to Windows 10 than it did to Windows 7 does not prove Windows 10 is slower to boot in general. My native W10 PC boots in 15 seconds, my wife's in 10 and both are faster than with W7. The boot process was changed from W8 onwards, namely when you shut down it actually hibernates, rather than shutting down completely like W7. This then allows fast boot up.  I would therefore suggest you check your options to ensure the fast boot process is not disabled when you run your W10 under IOS.

As for requiring a subscription for W10 in the future, this is nonsense. MS have repeatedly said W10 upgrade is "free for the life of the device".  Can you imagine the world-wide uproar that would ensue if, after having persuaded tens of millions of people to do the free upgrade, MS then tried to bill people? W10 is now more or less on the same footing as Apple's IOS, namely you pay for the OS when you buy a PC. Thereafter it's maintained free until you buy another PC.

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold
kevinlms, on 01 Jan 2016 - 07:54, said:

I've recently upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. It all seems fine except for one annoyance.

Its set for automatic updates (I'm OK with that setting), but it has an annoying habit of restarting once its internal setting timer to restart has timed out.

I can change the length of time that it prompts that a restart is required, but cannot get it to wait until I'm prepared to restart it (ie closing running programs). As it result it forces programs to turn off.

Any ideas?

If you go to settings -> update and security -> advanced options there is a drop-down box that you can tell Windows how to update.  You have a choice of "automatic" or "notify to restart". Mine's set to automatic but perhaps the other option might be better for you.

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

If you go to settings -> update and security -> advanced options there is a drop-down box that you can tell Windows how to update.  You have a choice of "automatic" or "notify to restart". Mine's set to automatic but perhaps the other option might be better for you.

OK, I've down that. We'll see what happens next update. Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, but I completely disagree with a lot of this. It comes across as being the usual MS bashing,

I am not saying MS are perfect but for a upmarket laptop one third the price of a MacBook Pro and with similar performance I'm not going to change.

I can categorically state that Win10 boots quicker than Win 7 on a PC with HDD (Not with a SSD however as it was so quick there was nowhere for an improvement)*

There are 4 PCs in this household the three with HDDs definitely are quicker than they were. (one had originally been a Win XP machine!)

If you read MS statements they say there will categorically not be a subscription - it will be free forever.

Keith

* BTW the one with the SSD takes 14 seconds from UEFI (up to that point nothing will change as it is the BIOS loading)

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I have finally got my laptop 1511 update installed.

After posting in MS Community I downloaded the ISO from

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Naturally with A UK spec machine I downloaded the EN_GB version but it was not going to be able to update Windows without blitzing my apps due to "Wrong language"!

I then downloaded the EN_US version instead and it worked fine.

I now have the latest version and all the other updates without losing anything.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Further to the Win 10 booting up time:

With Win 10 (1511 Build 10586.36) my Acer Core i7 laptop now takes 21 secs from power on to lock screen and a further 24 secs from password to working desktop.

That is way way quicker than it ever did with Win 7.

(N.B. this is with a conventional 750Gb HDD)

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

On this point have you considered Libre Office? (Available for Mac here: https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/ )

It has a Publisher program (Impress) which can open MS Publisher files.

I cannot vouch for it's compatability as I don't use it.

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Premium

LibreOffice Impress is an equivalent of PowerPoint, not Publisher, even if it can open Publisher files.

In that case it is mis-named!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

In my post #514 I mentioned problems with a video driver. It is an Intel video system, built into the mother board.  It turned out that the video crashed, and resumed, and afaik it was only with firefox. I upgraded the driver from the Intel site, but windows update put it back to the previous version. I disabled the video hardware acceleration in Firefox, a few web searches on the problem suggested this,  and since then there has been no crashes. Hopefully I'm not tempting providence in stating this.

• Like 1

One thing that had been annoying me, and it goes back to Win 8, is that I keep on getting web pages that cannot be found; it is erractic and not down to the winsock as many commentators suggest; I can browse one website, not get access to another (typically google) but then can access another site. Its not down to IE as Opera suffers the same problems. Its not a problem with my router as my tablet has no problems.

Edited by Butler Henderson

My son tried it on his main computer..... it messed up all of his drivers so that a lot of hardware wouldn't function properly so he reinstalled Windows 7 again.

He also had to reinstall all the essential hardware drivers that Windows 10 had deleted.

We've had to turn off automatic updating on all the computers here at home, especially my work ones, because a forced installation of Windows 10 will cause so many problems, especially if vital software ECAD and CAD design suites refuse to work with it.

I also use Lotus 123 / Lotus Smart Suite, as an engineer, because it is so vastly superior to MS Excel (It allows user defined functions, calculus and individual cell hiding which are all things that MS Excel doesn't do).

Windows 10 presents potential problems to all businesses as it is (1) a compulsory installation and (2) you bet one's pension that it will refuse to run software packages that ran happily on previous versions (apart from Windows 8 ), requiring vast amounts of money spent on new Windows 10 compatible packages. Not the kind of expense any business wants in this day and age.

There is a prophecy that the end of the world will occur shortly after Windows 13 is released.....

Edited by Old Tearaway

• RMweb Premium

I also use Lotus 123 / Lotus Smart Suite, as an engineer, because it is so vastly superior to MS Excel (It allows user defined functions, calculus and individual cell hiding which are all things that MS Excel doesn't do).

My Lotus Smartsuite* runs perfectly on Win10

I also like 123, I've been using it since Win 3.1 (but not same version!)

I use Approach as well, I find it easier to use than Access for standard databases

I've got other software going back pre Win 7 that also works fine

Keith

*Millenium Edition (2002 version)

Edited by melmerby

I used to use 123, can't remember when/why I dropped it, probably when I finished with OS/2. IBM owned lotus, but dropped it about 3 years ago, but by then I'd gone to 'open office'. I think it would be worth persevering in getting stuff to run on win10, maybe get a new, cheap laptop, just to test it out, running software in compatibility mode, whatever.  I moved from win7 32bit to win10 64bit, and was quite surprised that much of my old software ran fine - this was with a fresh install of win10, and heaven knows what has gone on with the registry, since much of the software was not even reinstalled, I just ran the .exe's. I had a problem with an Epson scanner driver, but 50 quid would have got a good enough new scanner, and the one year old Canon one I was given is faster and better than the maybe 3 year old Epson - such is progress.

In a few years time, when the hardware fails, You may not be able to find xp/win7 whatever drivers for the new gear. Like an old car, it may start costing you more to keep the old stuff running compared to buying new. Sooner or later you'll most likely have to 'get with it', at the moment there is no rush, but it is worth persevering in trying it out before you are forced to update, or forced to go to some other more unpopular os, which will be an even bigger cost/change.

Best wishes,

Ray

I hate to go against the general flow of this topic, but I only have positive comments, and I'm DEFINITELY no fan of Microsoft. I use nothing of theirs other than the OS, and that only to match the bulk of client uses.

I'm a web-based software developer so have a stack of mission-critical tools. For that reason, apart from general good sense and experience, I delayed the win10 upgrade until now. But I did upgrade a fairly inconsequential machine a couple of months ago (my home media server) and tested the main tools on that.

But the xmas break, once I got back from the beach, seemed a quiet enough time to take the plunge. Apart from the download time, the upgrade took an hour or so, and then - nothing spectacular - everything just worked! A bit of tidying up, some personalization (eg getting rid of 'one drive' ), and I'm up and running just like before. No driver issues (printers, wifi, and other peripherals all ok), no files or tools missing.

Edit: I forgot to say, I was upgrading from win7. Win 8 just never made any sense to me as a practical tool.

Edited by Kiwi

• RMweb Gold
Old Tearaway, on 08 Jan 2016 - 21:17, said:

Windows 10 presents potential problems to all businesses as it is (1) a compulsory installation and (2) you bet one's pension that it will refuse to run software packages that ran happily on previous versions (apart from Windows 8 ), requiring vast amounts of money spent on new Windows 10 compatible packages. Not the kind of expense any business wants in this day and age.

Windows 10 is not compulsory for anyone, and especially not for businesses who do not qualify for the free upgrade - that only applies to home users.  And any business with proper IT support will thoroughly test any new OS with all that business's software, and then properly manage the upgrade of employees' PCs.  As far as older software is concerned, anything that runs on windows 8.1 will almost certainly run on 10.

• RMweb Premium

Something I have noticed under Win10 is the Norton Utilities finds lots more errors than it used to with Win7.

Just had 177 registry issues and 78 privacy items. With Win 7 it might get 10! Not just on one computer ether.

(NU is up to date)

Keith

• RMweb Gold
Butler Henderson, on 13 Jan 2016 - 17:16, said:

Guess what - yet another Win 10 update today along with various other updates, takes it to 10586.63

Patch Tuesday is alive and well ....

What MS also announced is that it will be the last update for Windows 8 (but not 8.1) and IE 8,9 and 10 (except IE 9 on Vista).