RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

use cortana - type in 'audio', it will come up with a few things, settings to fiddle with. One of them will be the audio device type/make e.g. 'Realtek'- check the driver is OK and it is working. if not download new driver from audio card/mb web site. Make sure cable for speakers is plugged in, of course. Plenty of settings to get wrong if a newish audio system.  If the whole system is a single manufacturer, check their web site.

Thanks all, now resolved, Windows had installed the generic driver that didn't work, saying the correct driver may not work with my device, when i asked it to try (theirs definitely didn't, so nothing to lose) everything is restored :locomotive:  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just noticed something different about Win 10 compared to 7 or earlier.

The computer was accidently powered down whilst Windows was still operating.

When powered back up it opened in the same browser web page as when it was shut down!

Normally I've had some sort of error message but there wasn't one. The only odd happening was that Firefox had lost it's menu bar and Bookmarks bar - easily rectified!

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just in case, how was it rectified?

Just go into "Show Your Bookmarks" (It's the thing with a star and list icon next to Search)

Right click and tick both "Menu Bar" and "Bookmarks Toolbar" - I usually have both options

Keith

Edited by melmerby

The very fact that we are on page 26 suggests this is another clunky Microsoft geeks-only product that causes anguish to anyone fool enough to download it.  The fact that MS are desperately trying to give it away suggests they have their own agenda.  I find it extremely annoying that I have thrown thousands of pounds worth of hardware away over the last 30 years because of software issues.

So given that I have a perfectly good 2 year old HP Pavilion laptop running Win 8 protected by Avast!, which, at the moment, does all I need as fast as I need and seems to be stable, is there any good reason to give in to MS nagging and get Win 10, or shall I just ignore it and hope it goes away?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The very fact that we are on page 26 suggests this is another clunky Microsoft geeks-only product that causes anguish to anyone fool enough to download it.

Clunky?

It's less clunky than Win 8!

My recent comment was about an improvement over previous versions.

Keith

I was a big Microsoft fan. Not any more my 3 year old machine (came with Windows 8 ) is now so ssssllllllooooowwwww.

It's depressing that Microsoft are like the Borg and I have to be assimilated into their system with no choice.

I use to laugh when people moaned about such things. Now after dutifully upgrading and loading the correct updates I have something that I don't want to use. Depressing.

Edited by The Bigbee Line

So the MS hidden agenda is to drop support for all but Win 10 to save money.

How can I find out if it will work on my machine? Will it rob resources from programs which run well at the moment and make them slow? Will I be able to go back to a restore point and back to Win 8 if I don't like 10? Why do I even have to worry about all this when XP was quite adequate for my needs?

• RMweb Premium

So the MS hidden agenda is to drop support for all but Win 10 to save money.

How can I find out if it will work on my machine? Will it rob resources from programs which run well at the moment and make them slow? Will I be able to go back to a restore point and back to Win 8 if I don't like 10? Why do I even have to worry about all this when XP was quite adequate for my needs?

You can go here.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-10/compatibility-report-windows-10

Like you I put it off for a while, because I don't like new O/S when they first come out. Let others be the guinea pigs, I reckon.

However, I have upgraded my work PC & a laptop, with minor issues only, such as finding the existing registration details for a couple of (non-MS) programs. So make sure you have that information first.

Oh and I use 'Classic Shell', so it looks the same.

• RMweb Premium

I was a big Microsoft fan. Not any more my 3 year old machine (came with Windows 8 ) is now so ssssllllllooooowwwww.

There is something wrong it the setup as Win10 is faster than Win8 with the same hardware.

SWMBOs dual core pentium laptop came with Win8 and is much better with Win10

Keith

• RMweb Gold

There is something wrong it the setup as Win10 is faster than Win8 with the same hardware.

SWMBOs dual core pentium laptop came with Win8 and is much better with Win10

Keith

I agree with Keith here, all my upgraded systems are faster than they used to be - I've got a couple of quite old laptops too (which the kids use for surfing and social stuff). I suspect you have something which is unhappy with Windows 10 and is eating CPU or memory or disk i/o trying to make the best of it's bad situation.

Unfortunately, whether we like it or not, Microsoft are moving on from the older OS versions and whilst we aren't forced to follow them we are putting ourselves at risk from the bad boys of the 'Net who will take advantage of this. Linux is certainly an option, I use it in a few different flavours for my work, but it's not to everyones taste and can bring it's own share of problems.

At least we haven't got an error 53 ...

• RMweb Gold
The Bigbee Line, on 09 Feb 2016 - 03:05, said:The Bigbee Line, on 09 Feb 2016 - 03:05, said:

It's depressing that Microsoft are like the Borg and I have to be assimilated into their system with no choice.

I use to laugh when people moaned about such things. Now after dutifully upgrading and loading the correct updates I have something that I don't want to use. Depressing.

Hit ctrl+alt+delete and select task manager.  Then have a look under tabs such as performance and app history.  You may find what process is eating all your CPU etc.

And if you want to see if there are any reliability issues, try the performance monitor.  Start a command prompt (right click start button) and enter perfmon /rel

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

The very fact that we are on page 26 suggests this is another clunky Microsoft geeks-only product that causes anguish to anyone fool enough to download it.

It certainly doesn't look like a geeks-only product; increasingly pushing search as the be-all and end-all instead of being organised and working out how things work suggests aiming at the opposite end of the spectrum, and is one of the reasons I'm steering well clear (although I supposed it can hardly be less usable than Windows 7's search). The clunkiness of the UI suggests the same thing, it's trying to shove big bright buttons in your face instead of having a logical structure (albeit toned down from 8, and is a dreadful UI trend that's been going on since before then). Then throw in numerous other little bits and bobs where Microsoft control your computer instead of you (automatic updates are usually a good idea, forcing them is just arrogant) and "geeks" seem to be furthest from Microsoft's mind.

• RMweb Premium

And if you want to see if there are any reliability issues, try the performance monitor.  Start a command prompt (right click start button) and enter perfmon /rel

That's interesting as mine shows that "Windows was not properly shut down" every time!

I wonder what it doesn't like? I wait for all disk activity to stop before powering down.

Keith

What processor and how much memory does it have?

Have you cancelled as much as its possible do of the background reporting services?

• RMweb Premium

If the PC shuts down correctly it will turn itself off. You shouldn't unplug it until it has done so in normal circumstances (this applies to all OSs, not just Windows).

Windows shuts down, the monitor goes blank and about 5 secs later the disk light on the tower goes off, from then on it is dead. Then I switch the power off at the mains.

I have always done it that way and that's how I was told to do it.

How long am I supposed to wait?

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Isn't there a power light as well as a disk activity light?

It can sometimes take 1-2 minutes but it varies. Compared to previous versions of Windows the monitor shuts off earlier and the delay after that time is a bit longer than before--although the shutdown process as a whole is no slower in my experience.

Another update KB3135173 and for once what it does has already been announced:-

Improved security in the Windows kernel.

Fixed issues;

- with authentication, update installation, and operating system installation.

- with Microsoft Edge browser caching visited URLs while using InPrivate browsing.

- that didn’t allow simultaneous install of apps from the Windows Store and updates from Windows Update.

- that delayed the availability of songs added to the Groove Music app in Windows 10 Mobile.

Fixed security issues;

- that could allow remote code execution when malware is run on a target system.

- in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11 that could allow code from a malicious website to be installed and run on a device.

- with .NET Framework, Windows Journal, Active Directory Federation Services, NPS Radius Server, kernel-mode drivers, and WebDAV.

Fixed additional issues with the Windows UX, Windows 10 Mobile, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, and taskbar.