RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

The Sprog install instructions are available as a pdf from this web page

http://www.bbmgroup.com/sprog/faq.html

Both drivers are installed through the unsigned drivers procedure

I don't think that is really anything different to what I originally said. (More precise probably!)

It is a two stage process, after the first stage you get a COM port number, after the second it becomes a "Sprog"

IMHO If you don't have shown it as a Sprog in the ports I would suggest something hasn't installed 100%.

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

These devices use industry-standard components.  For example, my Lenz 23151 LAN-USB uses a serial-USB converter from Microchip Technology.  Windows 10 knows about the driver for this so will automatically install it when it sees the device, meaning the device can be used straightaway.  However what is missing is the customized description.  Mine simply says "USB Serial Port" but it works, I know which port it is so haven't bothered with a second install as I suspect it may down-level the driver.

The customized install from Lenz has the following in its installation file, but the driver is dated 2010 - hence my reluctance to run it!

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;Modify these strings to customize your device
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[strings]
MFGFILENAME="mchpcdc"
DRIVERFILENAME ="usbser"
MFGNAME="Microchip Technology, Inc."
INSTDISK="Microchip Technology, Inc. Installation Disc"
DESCRIPTION="LI-USB Serial Port"
SERVICE="USBSER"

Just curious really..... I upgraded to Windows 10 about 2 months or so ago with no real issues and it seemed stable and faster than Windows 8.

Unfortunately yesterday, after an Windows update, I got greeted by Windows 10:BSOD error 0xc000021a. 

Has anybody else on this forum come across this, as it seems to be quite common with with a raft of net solutions which may or may not work?

Well - the Windows anniversary update has come and gone and with nothing unusual to report except its is the usual SNAFU...

The playback of video sound has gone south again - just like when I first installed it.. 30 seconds then a long bzzzzt - repeated ad nauseam.

Make listening to music impossible..

So, presumably, there will now be a battle royal of updates,just like last time...

As first Radeon updates drivers and miscellaneous incomprehensible programs to fix the problem.

Then Microsoft does something to fix the problem in Win 10..

Causing Radeon to do an update to fix the new problem caused by Microsoft fixing the problem and so on ad nauseam until one of the two quits!

Ah! Ain't life wonderful when no one bothers to talk to anyone....

• RMweb Gold

Just curious really..... I upgraded to Windows 10 about 2 months or so ago with no real issues and it seemed stable and faster than Windows 8.

Unfortunately yesterday, after an Windows update, I got greeted by Windows 10:BSOD error 0xc000021a. 

Has anybody else on this forum come across this, as it seems to be quite common with with a raft of net solutions which may or may not work?

What update got installed? I have 3 Windows 10 PCs and there have been no updates for a couple of weeks. 

You might find this useful to resolve - it applies to Windows 8/8.1 but is equally valid for Windows 10 - http://www.registryrecycler.com/blog/2014/04/fix-stop-error-0xc000021a-cannot-start-computer-in-windows-8-8-1/

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just did the Win 10 1607 update.

I was searching some Microsoft stuff and it asked if I wanted to do the anniversary update now, rather than wait.

It claimed I could download it and update at my leisure.

Rubbish. It downloaded and installed in one go without even asking!

Actually there were no problems, it all works fine but I was expecting the "restart now to install the update" or whatever, but it just did it anyway.

Keith

There is a significant update released this week applying a number of critical security patches. The update KB3189866 does however have a habit of sicking (3 pcs only fully downloaded on one). You can get it through a manual download which updates the Windows Updates record on your pc when it installs. https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/  (think it only works properly with IE v6 upwards)

• RMweb Gold

There is a significant update released this week applying a number of critical security patches. The update KB3189866 does however have a habit of sicking (3 pcs only fully downloaded on one). You can get it through a manual download which updates the Windows Updates record on your pc when it installs. https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/  (think it only works properly with IE v6 upwards)

My main PC did this (I think you may have meant sticking, although perhaps sicking was the right word!). Unbeknown to me it started downloading by itself at about 18.30 and I was only aware of the update taking place when my screen went blue at 22.00 saying "restarting".  Seems it took 3 1/2 hours to complete the download.  Wife's PC did the whole job automatically in less than 10 minutes though.

• RMweb Premium

Odd thing this Windows.

I have a USB-MIDI interface which worked on three Win 10 installs but not the 4th. (all on build 1511) It came up with a hardware error.

I updated the BIOS and I updated the motherboard drivers to the latest versions on the problematic computer to no avail.

However I updated Windows to the latest 1607 incarnation yesterday and it now works.

Strange!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Like a few people, but not everyone, I prefer to turn off things I do not need, uninstall software I did not ask for and not allow apps to use things like the camera or microphone without my permission.  I did the latest update this morning which appears to have worked OK but yet again there were a few settings to check afterwards and unwanted apps to remove.

I did not make a note of what I did but if the Microsoft default approach bothers you then you may wish to check what it has changed as part of the update.

I was surprised my laptop had not upgraded to the Anniversary issue of Win 10. I specifically requested it and it attempted to install. It would not complete due to one of the "ox????????" error messages. Found the reason by Googling, corrected the issue, and the install seems to have gone well.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

I was surprised my laptop had not upgraded to the Anniversary issue of Win 10. I specifically requested it and it attempted to install. It would not complete due to one of the "ox????????" error messages. Found the reason by Googling, corrected the issue, and the install seems to have gone well.

Colin

None of the 4 computers in our household have had the anniversary upgrade automatically.

I have done three so far using the upgrade tool.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

All seem to be fine, the only niggle that several MS things disabled or removed have re-appeared!

Keith

Yes, thanks but no thanks.  Anniversary bloatware update has downloaded itself and restarted the PC, which now seems to forget there is a keyboard until I unplug and re-plug it, and my photos database (Access 2000 - IIABDFI) was temporarily inoperable.  Apparently Windows can do all kinds of wonderful things that I've never needed so far.

• RMweb Gold

Be aware that one of the changes with the anniversary update (version 1607) is that Windows Update may reboot your PC unexpectedly. Previously, after WU had applied updates, it would schedule a reboot at a time of your choosing, with 0300 being the default.  Now it makes its decision based on your "active hours" which has a default of 0800-1700.  Last Tuesday evening I was caught by surprise when in the middle of doing something it suddenly restarted itself. There is a lot of griping on forums about this and hopefully MS will rethink.

Meanwhile I would recommend setting active hours via start -> settings -> update and security -> change active hours.  I've set mine to 1200-2400 which should cover me most of the time.  Also "patch Tuesday" is the second Tuesday of the month, and patches are released after 1800 UK time, so I make a point of doing a "check for updates" soon after this so they can take place at a time when I'm not actually doing anything!

Edited by RFS

Meanwhile I would recommend setting active hours via start -> settings -> update and security -> change active hours.  I've set mine to 1200-2400 which should cover me most of the time.  Also "patch Tuesday" is the second Tuesday of the month, and patches are released after 1800 UK time, so I make a point of doing a "check for updates" soon after this so they can take place at a time when I'm not actually doing anything!

Alternatively -> update and security -> Restart options and enter a time for the restart to occur.

• RMweb Premium

Now done the 4th PC update and it was the fastest yet.

Rather odd as it was the least well specified and very much the oldest of the 4 machines!

Only hiccup was that my DisplayLink adaptor needed a software update as the new Windows version isn't compatible with the old Displaylink drivers.

It is documented on the DisplayLink website where the update is found.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Alternatively -> update and security -> Restart options and enter a time for the restart to occur.

Indeed, but the option is only enabled once a restart has been scheduled - on my PC it's all greyed out. So if an update takes place in the background outside active hours, then you are at risk of not being able to set the time for the restart before it's too late, which is what happened to me.

Dagworth, on 22 Sept 2016 - 12:48, said:Dagworth, on 22 Sept 2016 - 12:48, said:

Anyone else had a huge update today? Taken an hour so far and only 47%

Andi

Hello - Yup - absolutely massive upgrade of some kind...

It asked me last night when I switched off whether or not I wanted to install it..

So dumb and idiotic stupid me - without asking any questions said YES!

Wrong decision..

On Booting up this morning it started a laborious process of installing - warning me of frequent restarts - (like the stopping train from Waterloo to Guildford)

Well we crawled our way by the hour to 52% or so..

Then it black screened me..

Just a baleful little row of dots going around in a circle..

Taunting me - egging me on..

Meanwhile the hard drive was doing zilch...

So after 2 hours of this I switched off..

Then rebooted..

It then tried to rescue the installation..

And off we went again, hand in hand down the dark and lonely black screen road...

So back to the switching off routine and it very nicely offered to reinstall the original version of Windows  (Did not say which version  - could have been 3.1 for all I knew...)

So I am back up and running and will now refuse all offers of an upgrade between now and when Hell freezes over - which might be earlier than we might know!

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWS - AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEVERE UPGRADE WARNING: BACK UP BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS STUNT - YOU MAY NEVER RECOVER

Edited by Bill