The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

And this is one of the two reasons I won't use W10 - the other being the inability to fully stop the telemetry information going back to Microsoft.

Wrong. You can completely stop it.

And have you stopped the telemetry in Win 7?

A lot of the anti on Win 10 is jusy huff n puff about nothing.

Win 7 had telemetry, Win 10 has telemetry, even an Apple Mac has telemetry.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I had the option of win 7 or 10, I opted for 7.

We went back to W7.

Brian.

I would be interested to know why. Such opinions might well inform any decision one makes about a future computer O.S. Of course support for 7 is due to end in the not too distant future and this may affect a user's choice.

• RMweb Premium

Keith

Are you sure? I'd really like to know how when Microsoft themselves say it can't be completely stopped within the OS itself. One could try and use external network blockers, but that's a hack and not always easy to do.

And yes, I stopped it in Win 7.

• RMweb Premium

I would be interested to know why. Such opinions might well inform any decision one makes about a future computer O.S. Of course support for 7 is due to end in the not too distant future and this may affect a user's choice.

I went for the w7 option, after seeing a lot of negative posts in this thread with all sorts of problems being encountered. I was familier with w7 as that is what my pc is, my previous laptop was an xp machine.

I have since acquired a w10 pc, but I still prefer to use the w7 pc for most work, not that I have encountered any problems with using the w10 pc.

• RMweb Premium

Are you sure? I'd really like to know how when Microsoft themselves say it can't be completely stopped within the OS itself. One could try and use external network blockers, but that's a hack and not always easy to do.

And yes, I stopped it in Win 7.

Try this:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/spybot-anti-beacon-prevent-microsoft-spying-windows-10/

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I went for the w7 option, after seeing a lot of negative posts in this thread with all sorts of problems being encountered.

The negatives are, as usual, the only ones you generally here about on here.

Looking around the computer world W10 seems to have had less problems than Win 7!

I've had Windows since the days of 3.1 and this has been by far the best & least troublesome upgrade. Win 95 was the worst by far that I have had.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

The existence of it elsewhere is no justification for the existence of it here, just means it shouldn't be in those either (and yes, I think I got rid of all the attempts in Windows 7). It's not huff n puff about nothing. However harmless it might be it simply shouldn't be informing Microsoft (or anyone else) about anything without your permission, and I find any attempts at justifications to do so pretty odious.

• RMweb Premium

The negatives are, as usual, the only ones you generally here about on here.

Looking around the computer world W10 seems to have had less problems than Win 7!

I've had Windows since the days of 3.1 and this has been by far the best & least troublesome upgrade. Win 95 was the worst by far that I have had.

Windows 7 worked. I've a new computer which comes lumbered with 10, every now and then it'll just lose network access, and hang when trying to reboot or shut down. I've not had reliability issues like that since pre XP, and this is a decent spec new computer, not trying to install it on something old. That aside, and with Classic Shell on it, it's not much worse but I don't see anything better about 10 than 7 other than newer hardware support and decent boot times (and probably multiple desktop support if I was doing anything serious with it).

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Gold

The existence of it elsewhere is no justification for the existence of it here, just means it shouldn't be in those either (and yes, I think I got rid of all the attempts in Windows 7). It's not huff n puff about nothing. However harmless it might be it simply shouldn't be informing Microsoft (or anyone else) about anything without your permission, and I find any attempts at justifications to do so pretty odious.

It's not without permission, you accept the license - you are at liberty to write your own OS if you desire or use one of several alternatives - Linux for example.

Odious ? really ? - jeez, get out more.

• RMweb Gold

Windows 7 worked. I've a new computer which comes lumbered with 10, every now and then it'll just lose network access, and hang when trying to reboot or shut down. I've not had reliability issues like that since pre XP, and this is a decent spec new computer, not trying to install it on something old. That aside, and with Classic Shell on it, it's not much worse but I don't see anything better about 10 than 7 other than newer hardware support and decent boot times (and probably multiple desktop support if I was doing anything serious with it).

And you know the problems are caused by Windows 10 rather than a hardware fault - there's plenty of hardware issues around, especially on decent spec new computers ? You can still use Windows 7 if you so desire, but support will end, it won't stop running though.

My machines all work on Windows 10 without problems, but then I have them configured to minimise the risk of harmful software getting on them, and doing any damage if it does (its not 100% safe but it's 99.999999999% and only a really determined hack would get beyond the first level) . I've dealt with PCs in the past where Windows was blamed and when I look at them I find 100 "free" toolbars installed, 25 "free" software packages and they are running as an admin level user giving everything full permission to do what it wants... It's a bit like leaving your car keys in the ignition and then complaining that "Fauxiats" are easily stolen, or putting petrol, paraffin, oil and other stuff in your fuel tank and complaining the car doesn't run smooth.

Anyway, lets stick to Windows 10 - for those who don't like it, there are plenty of other threads to read.

• RMweb Premium

And you know the problems are caused by Windows 10 rather than a hardware fault - there's plenty of hardware issues around, especially on decent spec new computers ? You can still use Windows 7 if you so desire, but support will end, it won't stop running though.

I don't know for certain but reading around it's not that uncommon a Windows 10 issue. AIUI 7 won't run on this hardware.

I certainly don't fill it up with "free" toolbars and similar rubbish.

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Premium

It's not without permission, you accept the license - you are at liberty to write your own OS if you desire or use one of several alternatives - Linux for example.

Odious ? really ? - jeez, get out more.

Yawn, that tired old defence of it (and I would use Linux if the stuff I want to run ran on it). Sure, that probably works legally. Doesn't make it good or perfectly OK.

As for "get out more", typical sad reply from someone who can't handle people having different opinions to them. Usually used by the type of people who'd say that to someone who says they're interested in model railways. Just because you're happy with people being nosey on you doesn't mean there's anything wrong with "mind your own business."

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Gold

Yawn, that tired old defence of it (and I would use Linux if the stuff I want to run ran on it). Sure, that probably works legally. Doesn't make it good or perfectly OK.

As for "get out more", typical sad reply from someone who can't handle people having different opinions to them. Usually used by the type of people who'd say that to someone who says they're interested in model railways. Just because you're happy with people being nosey on you doesn't mean there's anything wrong with "mind your own business."

Calling peoples comments odious is not having different opinions its being obnoxious, I haven't called you an odious little man for seemingly being unable to grasp the simple concept that you aren't forced to use Windows 10 but if you do use it then you have to accept it as it is, so if you've nothing useful to add then move along.

• RMweb Premium

Calling peoples comments odious is not having different opinions its being obnoxious, I haven't called you an odious little man for seemingly being unable to grasp the simple concept that you aren't forced to use Windows 10 but if you do use it then you have to accept it as it is, so if you've nothing useful to add then move along.

I didn't call anyone's comment odious (unless someone here happens to be a Microsoft employee who came up with it). What I was calling odious was Microsoft's approach.

Just because something might have more upsides than downsides doesn't mean you should shut up and not criticise about the downsides. Saying otherwise is having nothing to add.

Edited by Reorte

I think a number of folk here, are sort of 'living in the past'. Bound to happen if the interest is old steam engines, and the like. Nothing wrong with running widows 7, xp, or whatever, but you are shutting yourself off from 'the future', and eventually you will have to get a more modern os/pc. A number of folk have had problems installing win 10, but I have no idea of their skills or expectations. There are far more who have not had such problems. It is pointless comparing windows to other operating systems, and it is a bit naive to think that if you are in any way on the web, you can not be revealing information.

The ibm pc standard was made open, hence for windows on such machines, there is a plethora of addon's available. The downside is that anyone can make a bit of kit (say video card), poke into the os and write drivers. However, many of the calls into the os are not valid when the os is updated, since those locations were not in the official windows api's. Microsoft have done a very good job of allowing most of the historic hardware to keep running, but that cannot keep going for ever. Hence they, quite rightly, imnsho, decided to get feedback of what kit you've got plugged in, and try to adapt the os to match. The other approach is to go for a closed system, and only allow a restricted number of applications/hardware to attach. You then have a more complete control of what folk can do, and once folk have signed up to that, you can charge what you want.

I personally think, that for the majority of users, wanting maybe a few games, web browsing and the like, a simple android tablet or phone would suffice. However, for others who wish to do more, produce software, control machines, host web sites, etc., then something else is needed.

When windows first came out, I had a pretty good Heathkit-Zenith ibm equiv. pc. Windows crawled, I actually wrote a 2 page letter to Microsoft, listing the problems. The gui interface achieved nothing more than what was more simply available in DR-dos. But, because of the open architecture of the ibm pc , incremental speed improvements have taken place, and the os has kept pace.  Now, with the thousands of add-ons available, it is incredible that it all still works.

You have to accept (or not) that changes are happening. You can put off upgrading, but it will be harder for you later on, and bear in mind you will be older and even more grumpy/senile by then :no:  so my advice would be to update now, after all w10 has been around for two years already. At the moment, it is easy enough to just 'slide over' to w10 (last year you could have done it for free), but in a few years time, it will be a whole new ball game.

Best wishes,

Ray

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You could argue that the Raspberry Pi was a modern take on living in the past, in at least trying to create a modern version of something that people once tinkered with - the best of both worlds, and a pretty successful take on that too without it just being a nostalgia piece (although the Model A and B was a nod towards that, and there's nowt wrong with a bit of nostalgia).

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Premium

You could argue that the Raspberry Pi was a modern take on living in the past, in at least trying to create a modern version of something that people once tinkered with - the best of both worlds, and a pretty successful take on that too without it just being a nostalgia piece (although the Model A and B was a nod towards that, and there's nowt wrong with a bit of nostalgia).

I think the Arduino is even more that way as it seems to have even more versatility and is completely open source.

There seems to be more peripherals available but maybe that is just my perception.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I've got an emulator and lots of games for the Spectrum, I still like Skool Dayz. I've also got an Arcade game emulator and lots of games for it - Space Invaders anyone ?

post-6662-0-72157900-1493133887.jpg

One of my all time favourites -Space Firebird

post-6662-0-24236100-1493133900.jpg

and another

Space Chaser

post-6662-0-99788300-1493133931.jpg

All running on my Windows 10 machine.

I've got an emulator and lots of games for the Spectrum, I still like Skool Dayz. I've also got an Arcade game emulator and lots of games for it - Space Invaders anyone ?

But an emulator isn't the same as real hardware.

I'd really like one of those new Speccys but £175 is a bit much.

A few years ago there was a '30 C64 games in a joystick' product you could buy for £15 from Currys. The little board inside had all the solder pads needed to fit it inside an old C64 case and use it as a full C64.

• RMweb Gold

But an emulator isn't the same as real hardware.

I'd really like one of those new Speccys but £175 is a bit much.

A few years ago there was a '30 C64 games in a joystick' product you could buy for £15 from Currys. The little board inside had all the solder pads needed to fit it inside an old C64 case and use it as a full C64.

Indeed - my keyboard is responsive and not rubbery !

• RMweb Premium

I think the Arduino is even more that way as it seems to have even more versatility and is completely open source.

There seems to be more peripherals available but maybe that is just my perception.

I don't know much about the Arduino (I don't know much about the Pi either to be honest, despite having one). If both get people tinkering the more the merrier.

• RMweb Premium

Chuckie egg for the beeb:

post-6208-0-04172100-1493138235_thumb.jpg

Bit of a cheat really as it runs natively on a PC but has the beeb code in there!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At homeI have a win 10 2-in-1 laptop come tablet. In use it crashes on average once an hour at the moment.I cannot decipher the error messages if it stays alive long enough to find them. Take that with the horrid interface(tiles etc), the built in elements such as edge and cortana that you cannot truly diasable and the compulsory update schedule and I never use the ruddy thing if I can avoid it.

At work I happily support 10 users on windows 7 pro, a server, an email exchange etc etc.....