The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

If I'm not using something it gets turned off. "Using" can mean not being there, e.g. if the computer is churning through a backup or big download, or the fridge all the time, and to be fair I won't go to the extreme of digging my way through to the wall switch for things that won't turn off properly (or things like the bedside clock/radio) Anything that assumes it'll be left on when not actually in use though is badly designed IMO. What a pointless waste of power! I've never had a computer suffer from being switched off when not being used.

Edited by Reorte

Anyone on Windows 10 affected by the hackers who caused so much disruption to the NHS? There shouldn't be but Windows XP users are apparently the worst affected.

Heard Windows 8 mentioned this morning on the radio but that may have been a mistake. There was also a comment that a patch had been issued last month which if installed would have stopped it happening.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect quite a few NHS trusts are still using XP, with no patches since the Government deal with Microsoft ran out in spring 2015 (although my local trust seems to be on Win 7—don't know whether or not they've been affected or not).

• RMweb Premium

I suspect quite a few NHS trusts are still using XP, with no patches since the Government deal with Microsoft ran out in spring 2015 (although my local trust seems to be on Win 7—don't know whether or not they've been affected or not).

Last year the local health trust were still on XP Pro.

Haven't noticed recently.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Heard Windows 8 mentioned this morning on the radio but that may have been a mistake. There was also a comment that a patch had been issued last month which if installed would have stopped it happening.

I saw Windows RT in the affected list. If that were true I tip my hat to the hackers for supporting it since Windows RT only runs on ARM processors and refuses to run anything not signed and from the Windows store.

Except the list is probably just nonsense.

Old wives tale

read what you want to read. I had stated 'unless designed for power cycling'. There are a number of references on the web wrt tvs being the same as computers, which generally shows the writer's ignorance. Most desktop pc's have more 'connectors' than a tv, and thermal cycling of electro-mechanical connections is not ideal. Anyway, my use of my computing gear, is obviously different than many others, and I have no need to change my method of operation. It is not electronics that normally fail, but interfaces, the same as in everything else, from model railway couplings to space rocket fuel lines. (and look at the fun to be had at the land-sea interface )

Edited by raymw

• RMweb Gold

MS issued the patch on March 14th, so if your PC has been updated via the normal Windows update process it should be fine. 

See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-010.aspx

Re the Ransomware issue.

I have a couple of machines still on XP but which are kept for a specific purpose and not used very frequently. MS have, to their credit, now issued an update to close the vulnerability on these machines. This address will take you to the download page :-          http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4012598

Colin

Edited by antrobuscp

Re Windows 10, I have a machine which I do not yet use a great deal as my main pc is on Win 7. It is used occasionally, almost as an additional HD for backup purposes. I find that because of this it spends too much of its time installing updates and, without warning, installing them on shut down. I prefer to keep an eye on machines updating and don't normally leave them overnight.

I do however agree with the heat cycling point raised above. When I was working, we had two offices, and in mine we always started the machines in the morning and left them running until we knew they would not be needed again that day. The other office practice was to turn the machines on and off as required. I always believed that they had more hard drive and other failures. I tended to replace machines when they became too slow or otherwise outdated whereas the other office had to occasionally make unplanned purchases through failures. Not a big issue, but it was noticeable.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Here's a question which is nothing to do with updates but those now using W10 migt be able to answer.

I have and use Vista 64 (don't tell me it's no good, it's done everything I want it to. Docs, pics spreadsheets etc) I had a drawing programme on it which I had to remove a month ago as the lack of support from MS meant it stopped working/too many glitches,  So now I've got to change to another platform.  I have win 7 on a small laptop which is used for presentations which seems ok but I only use it occasionally.  

I've checked and this PC at 10 years old can't be upgraded so I have to invest in another. I've used and tried W10 on a couple of machines to see what it's like and don't seem to get on with it easily. I actually got quite frustrated with it and had it been my machine could easily have put a hammer through the screen. I know that with time I would get used to it but I wonder whether something that frustrates you so much would be a good choice. The alternative is Apple (Yes I know, there's Linux too)  I realise there is a price differential but when I've specc'd a couple of options it's not that big and the cash isn't an issue. 

So the question to W10 users is having used it for a while if you had the cash/option would you change to ....say....Apple. I've not included Linux in this as I've no experience and frankly have no idea what people are on about when the promote it.

I would say that I have 2 friends who use Apple machines and when I tried them, found them very simple to use and they have been reliable and trouble free for both.

• RMweb Gold

Here's a question which is nothing to do with updates but those now using W10 migt be able to answer.

I have and use Vista 64 (don't tell me it's no good, it's done everything I want it to. Docs, pics spreadsheets etc) I had a drawing programme on it which I had to remove a month ago as the lack of support from MS meant it stopped working/too many glitches,  So now I've got to change to another platform.  I have win 7 on a small laptop which is used for presentations which seems ok but I only use it occasionally.  

I've checked and this PC at 10 years old can't be upgraded so I have to invest in another. I've used and tried W10 on a couple of machines to see what it's like and don't seem to get on with it easily. I actually got quite frustrated with it and had it been my machine could easily have put a hammer through the screen. I know that with time I would get used to it but I wonder whether something that frustrates you so much would be a good choice. The alternative is Apple (Yes I know, there's Linux too)  I realise there is a price differential but when I've specc'd a couple of options it's not that big and the cash isn't an issue. 

So the question to W10 users is having used it for a while if you had the cash/option would you change to ....say....Apple. I've not included Linux in this as I've no experience and frankly have no idea what people are on about when the promote it.

I would say that I have 2 friends who use Apple machines and when I tried them, found them very simple to use and they have been reliable and trouble free for both.

I have Windows PCs and Apples. To be honest I don't seem to have the problems that others have with Windows though I am not exactly running it in entry level devices. My Macs are fine but don't expect them to be trouble free. I did an update recently to iTunes that ended up having to do a complete operating system restore. It was just time consuming rather than a tragedy as I have all my data backed up.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I've never used Apple computers (of any kind) but from what I hear others say and what I've read, they are slick and straightforward to use. The primary concern is the closed system - they really really want you to use their software only, and their devices only. Trying to get non-Apple software and devices to play nicely with them is something of a hit and miss affair. It's for that reason I won't use them.

• RMweb Premium

I would not buy an Apple device of any sort. I could easily afford one but I generally get the same perfomance from a mid range Windows PC at some considerable cost saving. It is also much easier to upgrade with add-ons.

The argument about quality of components was blown out of the water years ago when Apple changed to Intel processors and ended up using virtually the same innards as the better Windows PCs.

Most of their stuff seems to be made in the same factories that are also turning out stuff for Windows machines.

Some Windows PCs will actually run Mac OS with a small patch but it is ilegal under Apple's licensing conditions, however running Windows on a Mac in the same way isn't illegal!

A telling argument is to watch what people are using in coffee shops etc.

Generally Apple uses are younger and are browsing iPlayer, various shopping sites etc. Windows users tend to be older and are more likely running spreadsheets, word processors etc. on HP or Sony laptops.

There was one chap I was aquainted with that developed medical software and used a Mac Book Pro but he seemed to be the exception.

I know it is a bit of a generalisation but younger people tend to be more "trendy" and Apple is a "must have" whether needed or not. Mac Book, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch whatever. MS and other products aren't "cool"

I wonder whether the youngsters and Apples are because they are students and they wanted daddy (or mummy) to buy them a laptop for college so they said "Apple" when asked which one? Keeping up with the Joneses so to speak, like the correct trainers etc.

Just my observations and feelings, no doubt others will differ.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Have W7 at work and that seems to have as many updates as W10; indeed since the Creators Edition update have not noticed any W10 updates. At work the updates on W7 are more problematic than the home pc updating itself on W10 as they only make their presence known when shutting down.. cue delayed departure from the office and timesheet adjusted the following morning.

Have W7 at work and that seems to have as many updates as W10; indeed since the Creators Edition update have not noticed any W10 updates. At work the updates on W7 are more problematic than the home pc updating itself on W10 as they only make their presence known when shutting down.. cue delayed departure from the office and timesheet adjusted the following morning.

I find the W7 machines make clear that they have updates pending, but W10 doesn't seem to. Often, the first I know is when the machine is shutting down. Because I don't use the W10 machine a great deal it seems to spend too much time updating. Further, it seems to spread the updates out, the last 3 times I've shut it down, it's had updates to do. W7 machines just seem to get on and do the job - and don't often take a number of goes to complete.

Colin

Before it was released,I read that the creator version of w10 would be doing incremental updates, instead of the bulky 1607/previous versions. I can't now recall the details, or find the original text. There have been a few creator updates, afaik, but if they are more selective, they may only be applied to some machines.

• RMweb Premium

I have updated all 4 PCs in the household to Creators Edition and found two problems, both easily fixed.

(The two laptops (Corei 7  &  modern Dual Core Pentium Celeron) both updated without drama)

The first I mentioned earlier where for some reason the SSD on my main desktop had been "de-selected" from the list of available HDDs, cured by re-instating it.

The second on my oldest desktop where a failure to load an update for the previous version had got it into an endless loop vis. "Update has failed to install".

Any attempt to update to Creators Edition started with the PC trying to install the previous update and then failing, causing the Creators Edition to stall part way..

I cured this by removing the failing update from the update list using the MS tool provided and then the Creators edition installed like a dream, about 2 hours start to finish although I wasn't at the keyboard all of that time.

I'm now typing this on it!

Keith

Edit wrong processor

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

The more I read in this thread, the more I think MS are using everyone for their own testing.

The old desktop has a mind of it's own and will regularly throw things up unrelated to Windows usually quite minor so not loading updates wasn't a surprise!

e.g one USB port doesn't work, a couple of the sata ports don't work etc. (they were like this before.)

It could also possibly do with more memory and an extra graphics card.

It is running with a BIOS which was optimized for Win XP

Until it packs up completely I'll keep using it, as it has little actual value. (it really needs a better M/B but then with a new one other things won't be compatible)

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

The more I read in this thread, the more I think MS are using everyone for their own testing.

More on that.

Yes they probably are as they cannot know the ultimate number of combinations of hardware and software Windows has to work with, however usually when a problem crops up they are pretty good at coming up with a fix.

Just think if Apple had to cope with a multiplicity of motherboards, graphics cards, sound cards, good & badly written software/drivers and all the different peripherals that can be encountered, as well as the upgrading/swapping of bits that PC users sometimes do.

Do you think they would be any different?

Bear in mind that Apples licensing policy states that Apple OS can only be installed and run on an Apple device, Windows does not have that restriction so Apple users can run Windows as well if they want (Many do)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Just  a heads up for anyone running Kaspersky Internet Security.

If you update to Win 10 Creators Edition check that Kaspersky has also updated itself to version 17.0.0.611 (e)

Apparantly it needs the patch (e) to give full functionality with the latest Windows.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I find the W7 machines make clear that they have updates pending, but W10 doesn't seem to. Often, the first I know is when the machine is shutting down. Because I don't use the W10 machine a great deal it seems to spend too much time updating. Further, it seems to spread the updates out, the last 3 times I've shut it down, it's had updates to do. W7 machines just seem to get on and do the job - and don't often take a number of goes to complete.

The major advantage with Windows 7 updates is that I can just install the security ones. That said since I bought a new computer, lumbered with Windows 10, it's only had one set of updates that didn't take any longer than Windows 7 ones. No Creator's Update yet though, I guess it'll be forced eventually but I don't see any point in getting it earlier than I need to.

The major advantage with Windows 7 updates is that I can just install the security ones. That said since I bought a new computer, lumbered with Windows 10, it's only had one set of updates that didn't take any longer than Windows 7 ones. No Creator's Update yet though, I guess it'll be forced eventually but I don't see any point in getting it earlier than I need to.

I take your point, but on none of my machines do I restrict updates to security ones only. In all cases, going right back to the inception of regular updating, I have set the machines to accept all levels of updates. Only on odd occasions, perhaps as few as two or three, have I consequently had serious problems - these were all prior to W10, and it was a case of identifying the offending update and rolling back from it. My comparison of the time taken to update and the number of reboots is, therefore and so far as I am aware, a fair one. The update experience with W10, rightly or wrongly, makes me feel that the OS is less stable. I have to say, though, that once the updates are "in" W10 works - no better/no worse than W7 or XP before it(W8 was poor).