The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I'm a bit puzzled.

The railway room PC has a Ryzen 5 1500 (which is shown as a suitable processor in some lists) and TPM but it fails the MS health check for "unsupported processor"

So no upgrades to Win 11 here!:no:

With such a narrow band of PCs that can run Win 11, I can see Win 10 lasting well beyond 2025.

Perhaps as you started this original thread back in 2015, the honour should fall to you to start a new one with a "Windows 11" title?

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, RFS said:

Perhaps as you started this original thread back in 2015, the honour should fall to you to start a new one with a "Windows 11" title?

Could do, but it might be a  bit thin to start with.:)

I 've had another look at the Ryzen specs and my Ryzen 5 is a quad core 3.2Gz device but it isn't on MS list. I thought it was a Ryzen 5 1500 but it's only a 1400 and the minimum is a 2600 which is a hex core.

If there are useful benefits to having Win 11 (and I can upgrade free or cheaply) I might swap the processor for a later one.

EDIT

New topic for Win 11 started:

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Endless HDD thrashing on Win 10.

This is driving me crazy by making the PC so slow it's virtually unusable.

Windows Defender shows nothing wrong, as does Malwarebytes (free version). I've tested the HDD with nothing found.

Task Manager often shows HDD at around 50% usage, but no individual task is more than 0.5Mbps.

Lots of different tasks running starting with Service Host.

Any ideas on how to sort this?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Plenty of ideas on the web, mostly related to Defender checking its own files. I've tried most of the "fixes" with no result.:mad: This is on a Dell laptop.

If someone knows the answer, please post.

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Indexing...? IIRC Windows has a SearchIndexer.exe that often uses HDD resource up.

The best suggestion, but perhaps not the one you might want to hear, would be to change to a suitable SSD. Modern ones, even SATAIII, are so much faster, especially as there is no seek time to speak of.

5 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

The best suggestion, but perhaps not the one you might want to hear, would be to change to a suitable SSD. Modern ones, even SATAIII, are so much faster, especially as there is no seek time to speak of.

That would disguise the problem. The thrashing indicates a software problem, not a disk problem.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Mike Buckner said:

That would disguise the problem. The thrashing indicates a software problem, not a disk problem.

Kind of, yes. But anti-virus and indexing activity always slows HDDs a lot, whereas such activities are much quicker to 'get done' on an SSD. Both are 'valid' activities, and commonly happen on Windows these days without any control by the user.

Another thing that often slows HDDs is memory swapping. If you've got lots of programs running and they're using a lot of the DRAM, then it may be that the HDD is being used as swap memory. That will be even worse if the HDD is already fairly full.

Edit: another thing to remember is that Windows (and other OSes) are being optimized for running on SSDs these days, rather than HDDs. That means that the activities that run regularly may be more intense and frequent than they used to be, which will stress HDDs somewhat. I know that my work laptop takes up to ten minutes to settle down from a restart due to be on an HDD, whereas my home laptop (albeit running Linux Mint) on an SSD is ready more or less straightaway.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Mike Buckner said:

I've had two traditional HDDs fail and it was preceded on both by "thrashing"

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, melmerby said:

I've had two traditional HDDs fail and it was preceded on both by "thrashing"

But was the failure a result of 'thrashing', thus causing the HDD to work much harder than it should?

I actually seemed to have fixed it, but too early to tell. Perhaps I'll let my PC run for another 24 hours and see what happens, before I start announcing success.

My #2 laptop became senile this morning and has decided that it needs to cycle around the Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop (black screen version).  I'm just installing the Windows Installation Media onto a USB stick so I can boot into safe mode and try to sort it out...

If it keeps doing this, it'll become a Linux laptop with extreme prejudice.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

But was the failure a result of 'thrashing', thus causing the HDD to work much harder than it should?

No because there was actually very little real activity going on.

It seemed to be a result of the HDD having difficulty reading/writing the required data and got worse until they showed up as duds.

AFAIK it wasn't disk surface problems (no errors from those types of tests) but something in the electronics not working as it should.

Both were the same make and both failed when they were about 15 months old.

The replacements lasted years without any thrashing going on.

This was a few versions of Windows back, when the background tasks were much less than now.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I actually seemed to have fixed it, but too early to tell. Perhaps I'll let my PC run for another 24 hours and see what happens, before I start announcing success.

It seems that after a few hours, I'm right back where I was. The disc is at 50% again and as slow as a wet Sunday.

Now 15 minutes later, it's down to less than 5% and the PC is flying, so something is running in the background.

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 03/07/2021 at 11:07, Hroth said:

My #2 laptop became senile this morning and has decided that it needs to cycle around the Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop (black screen version).  I'm just installing the Windows Installation Media onto a USB stick so I can boot into safe mode and try to sort it out...

If it keeps doing this, it'll become a Linux laptop with extreme prejudice.

Its worse than that, its DEAD Jim!

WIM won't work, I think its trying to talk to the HDD.

I stuck the latest Mint Linux on another USB stick and that flew off the blocks, but it can't see the HDD.

So the only conclusion I can make is that the HDD has died (see thrashing above), so I might disembowl the laptop and put a new HDD (spinning or solid state) in and then install Mint Linux anyway.

I've got one of those USB disk cradles, so I'll put the dead disk on it and see if I can access the data that way.

Technology.  Who'd really want it?

SU1: I'm going to give the Windows Installation Media USB stick one more chance to get its act together, then I'm going to try installing Linux off the Mint USB stick. If that can't find the HDD then I'll get an SSD to replace it.

SU2: Gave up watching the mindless Windows dotted circle. Then  watched the linux boot messages more closely. HDD is completely dead.  Now to open the back of the laptop and see if replacing the HDD with something else is as simple as things used to be...

SU3: Opened the back of the laptop, extracted the HDD and mounted it in the HDD dock. The disk is accessable so all the data can be sucked off. Win 10 on the host computer offered to fix a disk problem, which I may try once I've recovered the data!  Hey-ho, time for a delayed breakfast...  Update.  Popped a 240Gb SSD into the laptop and at present copying the files on that onto an external hard disk. Then decision time. Reinstall Win 10 or install Mint Linux (20.1 Ulyssa-Cinnamon)?  Decisions, decisions!

Edited by Hroth
Situation Update 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have been patiently waiting for my "office" PC to update from 20H2 to 21H1.

After reading MS info it seems it should have done it by now but it had never picked up the update.

The suggestion was to manually do the update by using the media creation tool.

First attempt Sunday night ended with "Error - cannot update PC" after about 30mins churning away.

Puzzled I decided to have another go Monday night, when it did finally update - after about 1Hr 45mins of churning.

At one point it sat on a message of "installing - 81%" for about 25mins but did eventually finish & reboot.

Even after re-boot it was painfully slow finishing and took about 45mins of whirling balls to add up the total time!

(this is with a fast SSD)

At least it's now working fine and boots up normally as fast as it should.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I have been patiently waiting for my "office" PC to update from 20H2 to 21H1.

After reading MS info it seems it should have done it by now but it had never picked up the update.

The suggestion was to manually do the update by using the media creation tool.

First attempt Sunday night ended with "Error - cannot update PC" after about 30mins churning away.

Puzzled I decided to have another go Monday night, when it did finally update - after about 1Hr 45mins of churning.

At one point it sat on a message of "installing - 81%" for about 25mins but did eventually finish & reboot.

Even after re-boot it was painfully slow finishing and took about 45mins of whirling balls to add up the total time!

(this is with a fast SSD)

At least it's now working fine and boots up normally as fast as it should.

Sure you were on 20H2 to start with? The reason I ask is that the update to 21H1 from 20H2 is just an enablement package that should just take a few minutes. That's how it was for me. 

See Windows 21H1 Feature Update . Good news is that 21H2 is done the same way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, RFS said:

Sure you were on 20H2 to start with?

Yes, definitely, with a string of updates since first installed.

That's why I thought it was so unusual.

Strangely although it now reports as 21H1 there is no mention of it in the update list, although straight afterwards there were two updates for 21H1 installed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What's with this KB4023057?

It downloaded and installed yesterday and has done the same thing today.

I know it's required for certain processes but why on two successive days with no other downloads in between?

BTW 'winver' reports i'm on Version 21H1 19043.1151

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2021 at 14:14, melmerby said:

What's with this KB4023057?

It downloaded and installed yesterday and has done the same thing today.

I know it's required for certain processes but why on two successive days with no other downloads in between?

BTW 'winver' reports i'm on Version 21H1 19043.1151

KB4023057 is for the Windows Update process. It can get installed more than once - see here .

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, RFS said:

Have a look here about forcing the 21H1 update. 

That's the route I took with my Desktop PC

First option - nothing.

Second option - nothing

I had to use the third option, the 'media creation tool.'

That took ages as reported a few posts back.

It also meant I don't have a "Feature Update" entry like this (from my laptop):

feature.JPG.3407dea50eb33b9124ae04835722eb2c.JPG

Edited by melmerby

10 hours ago, RFS said:

Have a look here about forcing the 21H1 update. 

First option produces nothing.

I went down the second option route but it took so long I had to leave it running overnight. I checked next morning and the machine was on 20H2 - presumably the update was aborted for some reason.

I have used the media creation tool in the past and will try it if I have to. I've a few important things to do in the near future, so I'll wait until they're done before I have another try with the update assistant before moving on.

I've 4 machines to update, and none have so far shown the 21H1 update.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, antrobuscp said:

First option produces nothing.

I went down the second option route but it took so long I had to leave it running overnight. I checked next morning and the machine was on 20H2 - presumably the update was aborted for some reason.

I have used the media creation tool in the past and will try it if I have to. I've a few important things to do in the near future, so I'll wait until they're done before I have another try with the update assistant before moving on.

I've 4 machines to update, and none have so far shown the 21H1 update.

Have you tried going into Windows Update and manually checking for updates? Seems odd that it's taking so long, though. Wife's PC is registered as an Insider but only on Release Preview, and  has 21H2 which will also start rolling out shortly.

Capture.PNG.9ed3f0c55f747e231fe6516502720e99.PNG

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, RFS said:

Have you tried going into Windows Update and manually checking for updates? Seems odd that it's taking so long, though. Wife's PC is registered as an Insider but only on Release Preview, and  has 21H2 which will also start rolling out shortly.

Capture.PNG.9ed3f0c55f747e231fe6516502720e99.PNG

That's different

Every time I have had a feature update, the previous one has vanished.+

I only ever have one feature update, the most recent , apart from the PC with the forced update by media creation tool, where it doesn't list the feature update to 21H1 but has done the update.

This PC (railway room PC and the one that passed the Win 11 test):

updates.JPG.c0968960b2179fa9035d93aa6d5d8c0c.JPG