The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Is 21H1 useful?

(I didn't bother with the previous one (20H2), so would downloading the 21H1 automatically include 20H2 ?)

Presumably.

I assume all the incremental updates Windows has had that most of the content will be sitting there waiting to be enabled when you click go.

This gives a roundup of the features:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-kicks-off-the-rollout-of-windows-10-21h1/

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

That damn news/weather icon re-appeared on the taskbar on my "office" PC, which hasn't yet had an update to the latest version.

Turned it off again.

Stop it MS, if I say off, I mean off!

This feature came with a cumulative update to both 2004 and 20H2 - see KB5001391.

You only have to turn it off once. I suppose if MS didn't enable it first time, many people would know of its existence perhaps?

I've turned it off and it's never come back on again. 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It hasn't come back on mine at all since I offloaded it

I have Open Shell installed on my PC, because I cannot stand the tile configuration of Windows. Give me the drop down menu any day.

But Windows for ages used to overwrite it, but hasn't done so for ages. Must be at least a year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

I have Open Shell installed on my PC, because I cannot stand the tile configuration of Windows. Give me the drop down menu any day.

But Windows for ages used to overwrite it, but hasn't done so for ages. Must be at least a year.

Just turn off the tiles* and you go back to the Win 7 look, with the pop up menu at the side.

(*that's something that fortunately hasn't re-appeared!)

Like so:

1674732037_window1.JPG.726e3d773fa56e0f344a2ba765c858b7.JPG

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, melmerby said:

Just turn off the tiles* and you go back to the Win 7 look, with the pop up menu at the side.

The Open Shell XP-style structured menu is still better (personally speaking), not being arbitrarily constrained in height, and allowing for sub-menus. For all I know that might be adjustable though, I'm only forced to use it at work, where they've decided in their infinite wisdom to make as many things unadjustable as possible.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, melmerby said:

Like so:

1674732037_window1.JPG.726e3d773fa56e0f344a2ba765c858b7.JPG

My point was that for 6 months at least, Win 10 overwrote my chosen settings. I find that annoying and less inclined to accept Windows decisions for me.

I don't have issues with using Windows generally, it's just the changes for changes sake and INSISTING that I like it or lump it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Anybody noticed anything funny with KB4023057?

It was installed earlier this year when the laptop was still on version 20H2.

The computer updated to 21H1 a week ago and today there were three various updates waiting to be installed.

After they were installed the only one atually showing for today is another instance of KB4023057 and the laptop is showing as fully up to date.

Very strange

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

My computers went into a sulk yesterday and "updated" themselves.  No matter how you jiggle about with the settings, Microsoft WILL ensure that you have their latest bloatware.

I've never seen the weather/news gadget that turned up on the taskbar before yesterday.  That was switched off pronto!

Microsoft have become like the cheap mobile phone maker Alcatel.  I had one of their phones once, and the torrent of rubbish apps that they streamed onto the phone without warning was astonishing.  The spider/octopus/whatever that decended onto the screen when it was being used was the last straw. I bought a cheap Bush one from Argos and ditched the Alcatel.  I'll never touch anything from that bunch of clowns again!

You can tell that I'm not a "power" phone user.....   :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm still on 20H2.  I have just checked and KB4023057 is pending.  Looking at the history KB4023057 has been installed several times over the last few months.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I've never seen the weather/news gadget that turned up on the taskbar before yesterday.  That was switched off pronto!

How did you do that?  I can't see how.

• Agree 2

I think I just right clicked it then clicked "Unpin from taskbar". You can't get rid of it as far as I know, but you can hide it.

Another update happening now. Seems to be taking ages as I started it before the football. 

2021-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems (KB5004476) for those curious about such things

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

How did you do that?  I can't see how.

You can right-click on the task bar, and a menu comes up with "news and interests" which you can then set how you would like, eg "turn off".

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, teaky said:

I'm still on 20H2.  I have just checked and KB4023057 is pending.  Looking at the history KB4023057 has been installed several times over the last few months.

KB4023057 is part of the Windows servicing improvements - see here . It's trying to deal with the issues people have with Windows update failures, eg due to low disk space etc. etc. As they improve things updated versions of this KB are being rolled out.  Seems to use the same mechanism as the Defender virus definition updates where all use the same KB number.  On mine under installed programs via control panel it shows as "Servicing stack 10.0.19041.1022". 

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

My computers went into a sulk yesterday and "updated" themselves.  No matter how you jiggle about with the settings, Microsoft WILL ensure that you have their latest bloatware.

Microsoft have become like the cheap mobile phone maker Alcatel.  I had one of their phones once, and the torrent of rubbish apps that they streamed onto the phone without warning was astonishing.  The spider/octopus/whatever that decended onto the screen when it was being used was the last straw. I bought a cheap Bush one from Argos and ditched the Alcatel.  I'll never touch anything from that bunch of clowns again!

You can tell that I'm not a "power" phone user.....   :jester:

Don't buy anything branded Motorola then, they were taken over by Chinese firm Lenovo and have gone from being one of the best budget/midrange brands to a "don't touch at any cost" brand.

You only get one Android update and one year of security updates and then you are on your own.

It makes Microsoft seem like a benevolent organisation!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Something that always puzzles me is the different download rates for different updates (not just MS)

Libre Office usually downloads at about 77Mb/s, which is the max speed of my broadband but MS updates are rarely above 50Mb/s and often between 25 & 30 Mb/s

Fortunately the Samsung Evo 860 sata SSD can write and read at constant high speeds reaching 220+Mb/s at times so programs are quickly installed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/06/2021 at 17:37, melmerby said:

Something that always puzzles me is the different download rates for different updates (not just MS)

Libre Office usually downloads at about 77Mb/s, which is the max speed of my broadband but MS updates are rarely above 50Mb/s and often between 25 & 30 Mb/s

Fortunately the Samsung Evo 860 sata SSD can write and read at constant high speeds reaching 220+Mb/s at times so programs are quickly installed.

How busy the server you're downloading from will come in to play here. It may also be the case that some providers limit the download speed to prevent their servers being overloaded. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RFS said:

How busy the server you're downloading from will come in to play here. It may also be the case that some providers limit the download speed to prevent their servers being overloaded. 

I suppose Microsoft has a much bigger user base than Libre Office.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

I suppose Microsoft has a much bigger user base than Libre Office.

Considerably, especially when considering the businesses that use Office, even though most of those are probably now on Office 365. Libre Office doesn't work that way, as far as I am aware. On Linux it will normally be updated via individual packages/repositories for the distribution. On Windows I presume it's some kind of central server.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Welly said:

^^^

Oh dear! And I thought Windows 10 with regular updates for infinity was the Plan for Microsoft?

The idea that that was even possible always did sound rather strange and naive, any piece of constantly updated software will eventually reach the point where it makes more sense to just start again (even if that new version inherits a lot of code from the old one).

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Welly said:

^^^

Oh dear! And I thought Windows 10 with regular updates for infinity was the Plan for Microsoft?

2025 is the end date for Win10. After that no more security updates, bug fixes etc.

According to the snippets I have read the new OS (to be officially announced in two or three months) was supposed to be a completely rewrite.

I wonder whether those leaks are actually red herrings, else it's only Win10 plus a bit of tweaking and therefore IMHO rather pointless.