Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

11 hours ago, RFS said:

Have you tried going into Windows Update and manually checking for updates? Seems odd that it's taking so long, though. Wife's PC is registered as an Insider but only on Release Preview, and  has 21H2 which will also start rolling out shortly.

Capture.PNG.9ed3f0c55f747e231fe6516502720e99.PNG

I have checked Windows Update manually on several occasions - mostly on the machine that's used regularly, but also on 2 others. I had a push last weekend to try to get those 3 to update, but they weren't having it. They're all old machines, but are running 20H2 fine if slowly. I'll have another push in a month or so if nothing has happened via the normal updates. The 4th machine is kept on another site as backup hardware but I'll try that one shortly.

Thanks,

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, antrobuscp said:

I have checked Windows Update manually on several occasions - mostly on the machine that's used regularly, but also on 2 others. I had a push last weekend to try to get those 3 to update, but they weren't having it. They're all old machines, but are running 20H2 fine if slowly. I'll have another push in a month or so if nothing has happened via the normal updates. The 4th machine is kept on another site as backup hardware but I'll try that one shortly.

Thanks,

Colin

Found this article which explains how to download and install the simple enablement package.  Should just be a 5-minute job...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RFS said:

Found this article which explains how to download and install the simple enablement package.  Should just be a 5-minute job...

Ok, thanks for the link. I'll try that. I'm not aware of any reason why the update should have been held back on my machines - all Dell laptops, Latitudes and a Vostro of varying ages/specs.

Thanks,

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, antrobuscp said:

I'm not aware of any reason why the update should have been held back on my machines

Thanks,

Colin

Likewise my 'Office' PC which is reasonably spec'd with a Corei7 3770, 16Gb DDR3 Ram, and a Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb.

My lesser spec'd laptop did it a couple of months ago.

8 hours ago, RFS said:

I followed the information on the link and downloaded the files, and installed them very quickly without any obvious problems on the 3 machines I have here.

The system is reported as 21H1. In the update history however, 21H1 is not mentioned and the installation date in "System About" is shown as 22/06/2020 which is the date on which v2004 was installed. That was updated to 20H2 on 30/10/2020.

This may be "normal", but seems a little odd.

Thanks for the assistance,

Colin

Edited by antrobuscp
poor grammar

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, antrobuscp said:

I followed the information on the link and downloaded the files, and installed them very quickly without any obvious problems on the 3 machines I have here.

The system is reported as 21H1. In the update history however, 21H1 is not mentioned and the installation date in "System About" is shown as 22/06/2020 which is the date on which v2004 was installed. That was updated to 20H2 on 30/10/2020.

This may be "normal", but seems a little odd.

Thanks for the assistance,

Colin

Yes it's normal as it's the date of the last full install. This 21H1 update is just a feature, and furthermore you can uninstall it again if things go wrong. Just go to control panel -> programs and features -> installed updates and click on the feaure to uninstall it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just used that enabling package to do SWMBO's laptop which also hadn't updated to 21H1.

Nice quick fix, only took a few minutes.

Now all up to date on 21H1

Wish I had seen that before I did the Office PC with the media creation tool and hours of frustration:jester:

• Like 1

A Win10 annoyance that has bugged me forever, maybe someone here knows how to fix it, because endless Googling has not helped. 

I want to set the global default folder view to extra large icons. Shouldn't be hard but I have not found anything that works. Every annoying copy&paste blog post google throws at me tells me to set a folder as I want it then use the "apply to folders" button on the view tab of the view options dialog. But that's greyed out, in every folder. Whenever I open a folder I've not been in before, or create a new one, it's default view is details, which I hate! I want Large icons at the least to be the default view. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

In XP, I think there was a box which said something like "Set all folders like you have set this one", but I don't think Win 10 has that.

In Win10: Click the View tab at the top of an Explorer window, click Options in the button bar, go to the View tab in the Options dialog, then click "Apply to Folders".

Just as Quarryscapes said in fact, but he says it's always greyed out. Not sure why that might be - it works for me.

Further: @Quarryscapes First try rebooting to see if that gets Explorer into a better state. (Yes, I know, the turn it off and on again advice!) If not then start being suspicious of any Shell Extensions you might have installed (maybe without realising it). Running one of the well-known anti-malware tools should help to find and remove any such nasties.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

A Win10 annoyance that has bugged me forever, maybe someone here knows how to fix it, because endless Googling has not helped. 

I want to set the global default folder view to extra large icons. Shouldn't be hard but I have not found anything that works. Every annoying copy&paste blog post google throws at me tells me to set a folder as I want it then use the "apply to folders" button on the view tab of the view options dialog. But that's greyed out, in every folder. Whenever I open a folder I've not been in before, or create a new one, it's default view is details, which I hate! I want Large icons at the least to be the default view. 

I've occasionally run into this behaviour, and I can't honestly remember how I resolved it.

Don't forget, however, that although the obvious place to look, as you have done, is at the options available under the "View" tab, there are further options under the "Tools" tab. These include an "Apply to all folders" button and a list of other options activated by check boxes.

Some options may only apply to folders of the same type.

Hope this helps. Apologies if you are already aware/have tried this.

Colin

Edited by antrobuscp
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quarryscapes said:

folder.PNG

I did a quick Google as this sort of thing really annoys me.

The first result produced this:-

For Apply to folders greyed out in Folder View, right click the affected folder to make sure it is not included in a Library. If so remove it to apply Folder View.

This is a link to the page https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-to-list-view-but-apply-to-all-folders-is/1fee229d-6335-4009-bcbb-55b3f8ca8911

I notice that your screen capture shows your sample folder as being in a library.

Not sure what "being in a library" entails as it's not something I've ever knowingly used.

Just an idea, hope it helps.

Colin

A further comment re the update to 21H1. I brought my off-site machine home today and when I turned it on, it was finalising an update - lo and behold it was finishing the update to 21H1 which must have been started in the background when I last ran the machine on 10th June. It certainly didn't show up on the Windows Update screen back then.

The update  to 21H1 does show in the update history, as do further related updates installed today.

All 4 machines now on 21H1.

Colin

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

What experience do members have of downloading Total AdBlocker and running it on Microsoft Edge under Windows 10?  Reviews seem rather mixed.

You don't need an ad-blocker.

In Edge, go to: edge://settings/privacy

Set tracking prevention to Strict.

No more ads. :)

Then subscribe to World of Railways to compensate Warners for the lack of income from your page impressions.

Martin.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

You don't need an ad-blocker.

In Edge, go to: edge://settings/privacy

Set tracking prevention to Strict.

No more ads. :)

Then subscribe to World of Railways to compensate Warners for the lack of income from your page impressions.

Martin.

Thanks for posting that. Didn't realize Edge's privacy settings were able to function as an ad-blocker. I've switched to this method now and I can see it's doing just as good a job. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RFS said:

Thanks for posting that. Didn't realize Edge's privacy settings were able to function as an ad-blocker. I've switched to this method now and I can see it's doing just as good a job. 

It's not actually blocking ads -- if that's all they were, advertisement pictures, words, and links. But all the annoying ads come with a tracking script. Block the tracker and you block the ad. :)

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

It's not actually blocking ads -- if that's all they were, advertisement pictures, words, and links. But all the annoying ads come with a tracking script. Block the tracker and you block the ad. :)

Martin.

If you have Kaspersky Internet Security that also blocks the scripts, because many consider them to be a dangerous back door into a computer.

Only Vlad Putin gets to know what's on my PC:jester:

Edited by melmerby
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

What experience do members have of downloading Total AdBlocker and running it on Microsoft Edge under Windows 10?  Reviews seem rather mixed.

6 hours ago, RFS said:

Have you tried Adblock Plus ? I've used it with Edge for some time now and found no problems with it. 

I use Adblock Plus on Google Chrome and it works perfectly.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/09/2021 at 19:49, PhilJ W said:

I use Adblock Plus on Google Chrome and it works perfectly.

I used it on Firefox, worked very well indeed, but I find uBlock Origin to be better - it's currently blcking 5 ads - I have no qualms about using it on any site - and I will NOT use MS Edge as my browser

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just had an e-mail from "onedrive.com" saying "Your OneDrive is inactive and will soon be deleted", due to being inactive.

It says the items I have stored on it are still there but will be lost when it is done and there is a link to click to stop it being deleted.

It also says my Microsoft account is frozen. That is not true as I have just signed in without a problem and visited several parts of the site.

That premise seems dodgy in the extreme, even if it is a genuine MS e-mail.

N.B I don't have anything stored one One Drive and have never used it.

Needless to say I haven't clicked anything!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

I suppose copies of files that Microsoft deems essential get copied over to OneDrive inbetween bringing Windows up and disabling OneDrive.  What Microsoft thinks is important and what I think is important is probably debatable!  Thing is, anything that has made its way to OneDrive and hasn't been accessed since is probably not worth worrying about, so if the email is genuine, then the sooner the whole thing gets deleted the better.

I wouldn't be doing any clicking either!

Apart from deleting the email...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Just had an e-mail from "onedrive.com" saying "Your OneDrive is inactive and will soon be deleted", due to being inactive.

It says the items I have stored on it are still there but will be lost when it is done and there is a link to click to stop it being deleted.

It also says my Microsoft account is frozen. That is not true as I have just signed in without a problem and visited several parts of the site.

That premise seems dodgy in the extreme, even if it is a genuine MS e-mail.

N.B I don't have anything stored one One Drive and have never used it.

Needless to say I haven't clicked anything!

There's a lot of spam e-mails floating around supposedly from Microsoft. If they're from someone called Karmen they are spam. I have received over fifty in the last couple of weeks.

• Informative/Useful 2