The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

So you're suggesting that Windows changed the settings and now asking ME  if Windows found this customisation easy?

I'm assuming the Windows upgrade turned on these Microsoft messages for you, and you now have the option to turn them off of you don't want to see them.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, RFS said:

Why do you assume that it must be Windows 10 at fault? It could be an intermittent hardware fault, or a 3rd-party device driver/software that's the culprit.

You could try running the utility called "bluescreenview" (https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html) and this will give you a detailed listing of what caused the problem.  

because it’s the only part that’s changed, and the only part that changes itself by design.

• RMweb Premium

I had a problem after the last update, Firefox 'froze' and I coulded even close a tab. Luckily I use other hosts as some websites work better with them. I thought at first it was to do with the W10 update but as it turned out it was an update from Firefox. I had to shut down the Firefox completely and then set it up again but now I have to set up all my tabs again.

On 17/01/2020 at 13:55, kevinlms said:

Windows 10 updated yesterday, now I'm getting notifications asking 'How difficult is it to customise Windows, to the way you want it'?

Anyone else?

No, I didn't have this, just a notification that I'd need a restart. That was three days ago I think.

What has changed is that in earlier months I was being offered an upgrade to 1909  - I'm on 1809 now - and now I'm being offered an upgrade to 1903. As my machine is now working better that it has been since last March, I don't intend to go for this, and will wait until it is compulsory - I might have a new computer by then anyway.

John.

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

No, I didn't have this, just a notification that I'd need a restart. That was three days ago I think.

What has changed is that in earlier months I was being offered an upgrade to 1909  - I'm on 1809 now - and now I'm being offered an upgrade to 1903. As my machine is now working better that it has been since last March, I don't intend to go for this, and will wait until it is compulsory - I might have a new computer by then anyway.

John.

1903 and 1909 are near as dammit the same now* and have been put on a common update thread.

*you just need to enable the previously downloaded updates to change to 1909 from 1903.

Microsoft release note:

Release Date:

14 January 2020

Version:

1903-OS Build 18362.592 and 1909-OS Build 18363.592

What's new for Windows 10, version 1909 and Windows 10, version 1903 release notes

Windows 10, versions 1903 and 1909 share a common core operating system and an identical set of system files. As a result, the new features in Windows 10, version 1909 were included in the recent monthly quality update for Windows 10, version 1903 (released October 8, 2019), but are currently in a dormant state. These new features will remain dormant until they are turned on using an enablement package, which is a small, quick-to-install “master switch” that simply activates the Windows 10, version 1909 features.

To reflect this change, the release notes for Windows 10, version 1903 and Windows 10, version 1909 will share an update history page. Each release page will contain a list of addressed issues for both 1903 and 1909 versions. Note that the 1909 version will always contain the fixes for 1903; however, 1903 will not contain the fixes for 1909. This page will provide you with the build numbers for both 1909 and 1903 versions so that it will be easier for support to assist you if you encounter issues.

For more details about the enablement package and how to get the feature update, see the Windows 10, version 1909 delivery options blog.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/01/2020 at 14:49, D9020 Nimbus said:

Just to mention that Windows 10 does allow you to create multiple desktops as standard. No additional software required.

Thanks. I've now looked at that, will give it a trial later.

• RMweb Premium
On 11/01/2020 at 20:18, melmerby said:

BTW if you PC is taking 4 or more hours to do an update or two I suggest a better PC

Apart from SWMBOs cheap laptop, my three PCs have done all the last 12 months worth of updates in less than 4 hours total between them. 1903 to 1909 took about 5 mins each.

Now replying to this part: The machine was an urgent purchase to run one piece of windows software once a year. I got an AMD A10 laptop in January of either 2016 or 2017, very low end, 4200rpm disk.

And when setting it up I made a note that I told it to only take updates from microsoft itself, I think there was an option to get cached downloads from others.

This week's update was quick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2020 at 22:01, RFS said:

Why do you assume that it must be Windows 10 at fault? It could be an intermittent hardware fault, or a 3rd-party device driver/software that's the culprit.

You could try running the utility called "bluescreenview" (https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html) and this will give you a detailed listing of what caused the problem.  

installed this today to give it a go and found no mini dump files to analyse, guess windows must of cleared them in the reset process.

• RMweb Premium

Just had this forced on me at work, and boy is it dreadful. Had it on my computer at home and it's not so bad there because at least I can tweak it into something useable but with the degree to which the little Hitlers have locked it down in the office (and some of their forced changes to the defaults), well, it certainly reinforces my views that the job of anything new is to screw things up. From a practical perspective so far I've not found a way to search file contents beyond a few specific file types because that option appears to be hidden behind admin rights (hope there's a way around that, because that's utterly moronic).

Edited by Reorte
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Already have done at home (not that I use search much there), stuck with whatever I've got at work, can't just go and download anything useful (otherwise Open Shell would've been the first thing to go on and I'd be able to have a picture on the background I don't mind looking at all day instead of some company-approved piece of £*!@)

Rather sad that Windows hasn't had a decent search facility since XP. It was slow but at least it was functional.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Strange, that should be fixed with this KB4532695 https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-optional-cumulative-update-kb4532695-released/

I've not had a problem, and have not as yet downloaded this fix. But it's flagged as an optional download. Which seems odd.

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well that's bizarre. I just checked the search function and it doesn't work as per Melmerby's post. However I know I used it earlier today to check the version of the PC and it was OK.

I've done the pending downloads including KB4532695 and it's still the same. A blank search page.

Hey ho, wait for the fix to the fix then. :rolleyes:

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253
spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Second PC checked, search still working.

So it's not processor dependent, first is an Intel Core i7 laptop, second is an AMD Ryzen 5 desktop.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Updated just now. Search not working from the taskbar.

Did a system restart. Search now working fine.

Martin.

Just did the same, and like you, it's fine again.

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I too have the blank screen as does the wife.  Both PCs restarted and still get a blank screen. PCs have the same up-to-date Windows 10 (1909 18363.628) and KB4532695 is installed.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Third PC (Core i7 Desktop), just a blank box.

Did a restart as suggested above - working OK.:scratchhead:

Third PC still OK when powered up again.

43 minutes ago, RFS said:

I too have the blank screen as does the wife.  Both PCs restarted and still get a blank screen. PCs have the same up-to-date Windows 10 (1909 18363.628) and KB4532695 is installed.

Same version.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Got Windows 10 with new computer. I don't like it!

Microsoft are back to their old anti-competion tricks. Can't download Chrome or GotoMeetings.com without turning off "S Mode". If I ask to switch off "S Mode" it takes me to a screen where it asks if I really want to do that - but no button apparent where I can.

Can any of you help, please? I was supposed to be having an important meeting via the internet this morning but had to postpone.

• Friendly/supportive 3