Bachmann Scenecraft New pub

Phil Bullock

Yes, it looked vaguely familiar as soon as I saw it, although I had to do a quick Google to identify it. Really needs an Oxford Diecast MG T-series parked outside though...

The Jackdaw Inn at Denton in Kent, which was used as a location in the film 'Battle of Britain'

• RMweb Premium

Anyone else recognise this new Scenecraft item?A timely release for this summer perhaps?Sorry cant get a direct link to work its item no 44-0020 on http://Bachmann.co.uk/new_arrivals.php?prod_selected=2Phil

Next time you watch the film ( next Christmas on BBC ) look out for the illuminated bell bush that came out in 60s)

• RMweb Gold

So it is. Are they releasing Susanah York in WAF uniform as well?

BoB movie is one my all time favourites.

"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that". :-)

Paddy

'Don't you yell at me Mr Warrick !'

I think BoB has one of the best openings of a movie ever. The build up and music during the review of the German air force is amazing.

Also one has to remember that most of what you are seeing on the screen is real. Very few models and no CGI.

Paddy

• RMweb Gold

Just finished watching First Light which contained out takes of the BoB film.

If I remember correctly the Heinkel 111's and the pseudo Me109's were from the Spanish air force at the time. The 109's were fitted with a Junkers rather than Mercedes DB601 engine due to lack of availabilty altering the front end appearance.

The Hurricane's came from the Portuguese air force.

Good choice of prototype from Bachmann.

Cheers,

Mark

Hope I'm right on the above? Memory not as good as it used to be. Think a Mitchell B25 painted in high vis was used for filming aerial shots as well....

• RMweb Gold

Just finished watching First Light which contained out takes of the BoB film.

If I remember correctly the Heinkel 111's and the pseudo Me109's were from the Spanish air force at the time. The 109's were fitted with a Junkers rather than Mercedes DB601 engine due to lack of availabilty altering the front end appearance.

The Hurricane's came from the Portuguese air force.

Good choice of prototype from Bachmann.

Cheers,

Mark

Hope I'm right on the above? Memory not as good as it used to be. Think a Mitchell B25 painted in high vis was used for filming aerial shots as well....

Ah - not Junkers engines - Rolls Royce Merlins!!!!

See http://www.arc-duxford.co.uk/aircraft/buchon/

And earlier comments re the open and flying sequences are spot on - absolutely superb. Only models were the RC Stukas .

This film stands the test of time and deserves as much air time as it can get

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I was working in Southend when they were filming and saw the Mitchell while they were filming Thames Estuary sequences. At the time I had no idea what it was doing but when the film came out I recognised it from some publicity shots. Various pics:

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/527527-luton-history-nostalgia-17.html

http://www.a-26invader.co.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/rdtj.jpg

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/bob/pics/aircraft/B-25/P125_B-25_in_color.jpg

It was nicknamed The Psychedelic Monster.

Pete

There are so many great WWII movies from that period. There was a huge wealth of character actors from all sides that gave movies real gravitas. Mind you most of them lived through WWII and could bring their experiences to bear.

Very few modern war movies come close IMHO despite better effects. Two that spring to mind though are Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers.

Paddy

• RMweb Gold

Ah - not Junkers engines - Rolls Royce Merlins!!!!See http://www.arc-duxford.co.uk/aircraft/buchon/And earlier comments re the open and flying sequences are spot on - absolutely superb. Only models were the RC Stukas .This film stands the test of time and deserves as much air time as it can getCheersPhil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the correction. I should have checked before posting.

I got my wires crossed and was talking about the Czech built Avia S-199's that ended up with Junkers engines. Here's the link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avia_S-199

These ended up flying with the Czech and Israeli air forces.

I've seen that Buchon flying at Duxford and it does look good.

Cheers,

Mark

There are so many great WWII movies from that period. There was a huge wealth of character actors from all sides that gave movies real gravitas. Mind you most of them lived through WWII and could bring their experiences to bear.

Very few modern war movies come close IMHO despite better effects. Two that spring to mind though are Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers.

Comparing Tora Tora Tora with Michael Bay's Pearl Harbour shows what I mean...

There's a reason for that.

The period of the late 1950s through the 1970s produced a lot of war nostalgia. (It was also the heart of the cold war and while I stop short of calling these films propagandist, they were reinforcing the Western Allies victories.)

These weren't going to happen in the 1940s but ten years after the war was enough time. For contemporary post-war films I would highlight "The Best Years of their Lives" (1946). It's a bit grim and melodramatic, and has the imprint of being an old-school studio/Hollywood factory movie, but in these more enlightened days when we better understand post-traumatic stress disorder it is exemplary.  The opening sequence is really compelling.

Samples from the period you reference, including the narratives and fictionalized movies with the war as the setting.

Dambusters 1955 (narrative)

The Bridge over the River Kwai 1957

The Longest Day 1962 (narrative)

The Battle of the Bulge 1962 (narrative)

The Dirty Dozen 1967

Where Eagles Dare 1968

Battle of Britain 1969 (narrative)

Tora Tora Tora 1970 (narrative)

Kelly's Heroes 1970 

Midway 1976 (narrative)

A Bridge too Far 1977 (narrative)

By 1980 the battle narrative films were mostly done. The Vietnam war changed war movies.  John Wayne's The Green Berets (1968) was controversial and by the late 1970s The Deer Hunter (1978) and Apocalypse Now (1979) were winning awards for their anti-war themes. I think Thames Television's The World At War (1973-1974) made a difference too - as it did not shrink from just how horrible the war really was.

New movies had to be different and tell a story, rather than the battle narrative. 

I would add Shindler's List (1993), Life is Beautiful ("La vita è bella" 1997) and perhaps The Imitation Game (2014)* to your list of more contemporary WWII themed movies. But you are right in that they don't celebrate allied victories like the cold war era battle narrative films.

* Which I haven't yet seen.

• RMweb Gold

I am a big fan of the classic British war film.

Just watched The Halfway House (1944) . Very good and some nice views of Devon into the bargain. Another favourite is The Way to the Stars.

However, one film worth seeking out is Dark Blue World. A Czech film ( available in English) which tells the story of Czech pilots flying with the RAF.

Rob.

Archived