The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

Top Tip

Edinburgh council workers, too far to walk to the snack van?

Simply park in front of Keylines gate, no one will mind. In fact truck drivers love this sort of thing and will show their appreciation by buying you a coffee, indicating their intention by "shaking the beans" in a Gareth Hunt style.

post-24880-0-14561200-1529524603_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I see such situations as an opportunity to show off your skill at manoeuvring whilst simultaneously scaring them into thinking they're about to have their car reshaped :-D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Top Tip

Edinburgh council workers, too far to walk to the snack van?

Simply park in front of Keylines gate, no one will mind. In fact truck drivers love this sort of thing and will show their appreciation by buying you a coffee, indicating their intention by "shaking the beans" in a Gareth Hunt style.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170505_084639.jpg

I've seen similar situations in Nottingham, the yard fork lift truck usually resolves the problem.

Mike.

• Like 4

I've seen similar situations in Nottingham, the yard fork lift truck usually resolves the problem.

Mike.

Hi Mike , I do these builders merchants every day and they can be tight at times, but they have artics in regularly and have their procedures for dealing with them, Travis Perkins are usually the best.

One branch I have heard about but not been to has a tight righthander to get out, you have to swing the cab round then two forklifts lift the back end of the trailer round.

David

• Like 2

"Everytime I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."

H G Wells

Wells in todays world in an Audi Q7 "  Get out of my way you c%$£!"

Yes, because as implied in the Audi tv ad, everyone on the road not driving an Audi is a clown. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike , I do these builders merchants every day and they can be tight at times, but they have artics in regularly and have their procedures for dealing with them, Travis Perkins are usually the best.

One branch I have heard about but not been to has a tight righthander to get out, you have to swing the cab round then two forklifts lift the back end of the trailer round.

David

I'm thinking more along the lines of vans calling at sandwich vans outside builkders merchants gates in the centre of Nottingham, I'm sure you'll know who I mean!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have noticed the Waitrose in Wallingford has a turntable, the artic drives on, presses a button and it turns the entire truck and trailer round to line up with the loading bay. It can then drive out forward afterwards.

Are these common, but hidden or the exception?

• RMweb Gold

I have noticed the Waitrose in Wallingford has a turntable, the artic drives on, presses a button and it turns the entire truck and trailer round to line up with the loading bay. It can then drive out forward afterwards.

Not quite on the same scale, but the gas board showrooms on Fargate in Sheffield had a manual version in the rear yard, big enough for Transits and J4's, so about 15 footish in diameter.

Mike.

• Like 1

Not quite on the same scale, but the gas board showrooms on Fargate in Sheffield had a manual version in the rear yard, big enough for Transits and J4's, so about 15 footish in diameter.

Mike.

I think it's gas powered, a bit like the ones on the railway which were powered off the locomotive vacuum pipe. The operator showed the pipe up his rear end and it goes from there.

Oops, thought you meant the forklifts moved the vans out of the way, silly me  !

That's what I thought, too.  I've heard of farmers using those tractor attachments that look a bit like fork lift prongs (I think they're used for moving those 'swiss roll' straw bales about - there is no doubt a proper term for such things) to move cars that have been left obstructing access to their premises.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it's gas powered, a bit like the ones on the railway which were powered off the locomotive vacuum pipe. The operator showed the pipe up his rear end and it goes from there.

Unless someome was hiding something from us all, it was definitely manual, from experience a badly balanced J4 or A55 van was a b*gger to push round.

Mike.

• Like 1

:O :o :O

You do realise how bad that sounds, don't you?

That's what I thought, too.  I've heard of farmers using those tractor attachments that look a bit like fork lift prongs (I think they're used for moving those 'swiss roll' straw bales about - there is no doubt a proper term for such things) to move cars that have been left obstructing access to their premises.

A bit like this....

There certainly used to be one behind a gap giving access to garage/workshop beside Tulloch Street in Dingwall. The car was manœuvered onto it, rotated 90°, and then pushed back into the building. The Cromarty/Nigg two car ferry had one built into the deck - two cars were driven up the ramp onto it, rotated 180°, and were then able to drive off down the ramp at the end of their short voyage.

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Premium

There certainly used to be one behind a gap giving access to garage/workshop beside Tulloch Street in Dingwall. The car was manœuvered onto it, rotated 90°, and then pushed back into the building. The Cromarty/Nigg two car ferry had one built into the deck - two cars were driven up the ramp onto it, rotated 180°, and were then able to drive off down the ramp at the end of their short voyage.

Many of the Hebridean ferries had them till they went ro-ro.

Many of the Hebridean ferries had them till they went ro-ro.

The ferry at Glenelg still has a turntable deck, although it's used more to align the deck with the slipway rather than to turn the vehicles completely around.  Usually, the boat itself turns round at one or other end of the crossing.  The MV Glenachulish was originally built for the crossing at Ballachulish, then became the backup vessel for Corran, Kessock and Kylesku before finally ending up at Glenelg.  (The Ballachulish, Kessok and Kylesku crossings all now have bridges.  Corran got a new ferry of its own in 2001.)

Edited by ejstubbs

• RMweb Premium

May I just move this topic on by recounting my experience the other day in Guildford - a town which I had not driven in or round for some 20 years.  I was trying to get from Dorking to Godalming, and the usual route, the A248, was closed, so I had to follow a diversion, and missed a turn on it, winding up having to head back from Woking.

So approaching Guildford from the A320, I got into a tailback, which was being caused by a snarl up on the A25, and I had to do a right turn to get back onto my route.  So with a queue tailing back just about to the junction, I could JUST get into the gap which had just been created by a slight movement, so I moved off, to be overtaken on my inside by a Porche Cayenne, which then filled the gap, leaving me with nowhere to go.  Before there was a movement in the queue, the lights changed, leaving me sitting in the middle of the junction, blocking traffic in two lanes, and in two directions.  Of course, the drivers of the vehicles in the other directions had not seen anything of what had happened, and I was the recipient of a lot of hooting, rude gestures, and even some abusive shouts.  Wonderful.