The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

For quite some time now I have been noticing a marked decline in the quality of driving and total disregard to road signs. We have one no right turn and 2 no left turn signs within about 100 yds of each other on the same road, these are designed to stop 3 rat runs through roads unsuitable to be short cuts. Two of these (the left hand ones) have the pavements extended to stop left hand turns, yet again yesterday there was someone trying a 3 point turn (unsuccessfully) to try and gain access, this was a woman in her 20's. Don't they read road signs ?

At one time you could expect young women to be amount the best drivers, now we have girl racers trying to out race the boys

Mini cabs, are they exempt from the Highway Code ? certainly most have defective indicators, also have no idea of the local road names in our village

John Lloyd members also seem to be exempt from road signs, as the local centre is on a very busy road, it has a no right turn and a left filtered exit, there is a roundabout 50 yards down the road, but they have to block the road whilst trying to turn left, still Chelsea tractors don't travel well on roads and I guess their occupants are late for the hairdressers

Then you have a couple of groups who think rules are for others, mostly driving higher end vehicles with complete disregard to others, some I guess have either never passed a driving test or just ignore what they were taught.

What's happened to Volvo Man, are they extinct?  

Now there is one benefit to having an older car, some do think twice about trying to make me(on my side of the road) swerve out of their way. 

• Like 9

Highway Code!  what Highway code. 

All you need to know is it to pass your driving test (providing one has been taken) and the forget it and then its every person for there self.

Also people from outside this country seem to think that they can drive forever on the licence from there own country. Don't  they realise its only 12 months during which they need to obtain a UK licence by  taking the TEST.

The number of times I have had a vehicle on my right suddenly cut in front of me to turn left is beyond belief.

And don't let me start about school arrival/departure times 4x4 and parking where you want time !

Standards on the roads are terrible these days.

Never seem to see the Police about these days either.

By the way I have been driving since 1974 when police would knock on your door if a car parked outside was parked facing traffic not facing with it without a parking light showing at night !

That's enough for now can easily think of other instances ( Parking etc ) will let others have a go !

Edited by johnd
  • Like 5

When I referred to high end vehicles 4X4 and BMW's are included.

Certainly where I am cyclists are quite well behaved, but some are a bit strange not wanting to use a separate cycle road (A41) to the main road especially in the dark!! Motorcyclists (except pizza deliverers) seem to respect the rules and conditions far more than they did in the past

• RMweb Premium

I agree an 'old banger' is useful if you do a lot of car commuting. Before I retired I used to have a succession of such vehicles, best of which was a Suzuki jeep with hefty bull bars, no one ever cut me up when driving that.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I could list the country equivalents but

Summarised by :

No-one to catch them so they don't care.

When I met Mrs mole she lived in rural Somerset and that was definitely the case. She has the scars and limp to prove it. And 'any vehicle' business insurance doesn't apply if you're not at work.

She also preferred driving at night as you could see the diffuse light from headlights over the hedges and could tell someone was coming the other way.

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On the way to work this morning...

Overtake over lots of interesting paintwork almost straight into a right-turning van.

I seem to have titled this video Audi... Had my hat-cam been working properly the other week I'd have a couple called Dacia...

• Like 3

For quite some time now I have been noticing a marked decline in the quality of driving and total disregard to road signs. We have one no right turn and 2 no left turn signs within about 100 yds of each other on the same road, these are designed to stop 3 rat runs through roads unsuitable to be short cuts. Two of these (the left hand ones) have the pavements extended to stop left hand turns, yet again yesterday there was someone trying a 3 point turn (unsuccessfully) to try and gain access, this was a woman in her 20's. Don't they read road signs ?

At one time you could expect young women to be amount the best drivers, now we have girl racers trying to out race the boys

Mini cabs, are they exempt from the Highway Code ? certainly most have defective indicators, also have no idea of the local road names in our village

John Lloyd members also seem to be exempt from road signs, as the local centre is on a very busy road, it has a no right turn and a left filtered exit, there is a roundabout 50 yards down the road, but they have to block the road whilst trying to turn left, still Chelsea tractors don't travel well on roads and I guess their occupants are late for the hairdressers

Then you have a couple of groups who think rules are for others, mostly driving higher end vehicles with complete disregard to others, some I guess have either never passed a driving test or just ignore what they were taught.

What's happened to Volvo Man, are they extinct?  

Now there is one benefit to having an older car, some do think twice about trying to make me(on my side of the road) swerve out of their way. 

Blame the sat navs people who use them can`t think for themselves. On the approach to Bath recently when the A36 was closed signage was in place telling you to follow the diversion signs together with signs saying  Drivers TURN OFF SAT NAVS and follow the official signs. 

Edited by 40F
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

On returning from working in America in the 80's my Father moaned about the state of driving in the UK and how it had deteriorated, he then promptly set off on the right hand side of the road and attempted the High St roundabout in the original "French" way.

Nothing changes but don't blame those in cars such as BMW.Merc etc for the worst, it's just another unfounded generalisation.

They have made the rules too complicated. Speed limits used to be anything, except for 30mph in towns. Now, they have speed limits on good roads, changing from 50, 40, 30, 20, and national limit of 60 and motorway 70, brought in by a lie. Same with road markings - the driver in 3081 video above, is allowed to enter the hatched area, since not a solid line (whether he should is another matter). Now, sometimes you are encouraged to drive on hard shoulders. The road signage/speed limits are a mess, with advisory speed limits and enforceable ones mixed into the mash, often un-needed. One  of the irritations is the little speed camera signs, but they can't be bothered to put on said sign the actual speed limit. Apparently, near Langport, there are some green painted road markings that nobody knows what they mean. wrt bmw drivers, I have recently noticed that Audi drivers, driven by 20-30 year old women, wearing 'power suits' (the estate agent) types, are far worse in aggressive driving.

wrt old cars, Many years ago, in Cumberland road, Bristle, there was a guy who had a transit type van with a railway sleeper - complete with chairs - as the front bumper,  no need to give way on roundabouts unless to an artic. Personally, I think that Bristle is the worse place to drive through. If you want to do something, like join the traffic flow from a side road, everyone will space themselves so you can't. At least in London, probably other places, provided you can indicate what you want to do, and they'll give you space to do it, because that is the quickest way for everyone.

need more coffee...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

- the driver in 3081 video above, is allowed to enter the hatched area, since not a solid line (whether he should is another matter)

Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.

• If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
  • If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency.

Laws MT(E&W)R regs 5, 9, 10 & 16, MT(S)R regs 4, 8, 9 & 14, RTA sect 36 & TSRGD 10(1)

• Like 1

Blame the sat navs people who use them can`t think for themselves. On the approach to Bath recently when the A36 was closed signage was in place telling you to follow the diversion signs together with saying  Drivers TURN OFF SAT NAVS and follow the official signs. 

My sat nav does not send you into roads you cannot turn into in my locality, I do understand there are always exceptions but if there is a sign stating no right/left turn then you dont

• RMweb Gold

My sat nav does not send you into roads you cannot turn into in my locality, I do understand there are always exceptions but if there is a sign stating no right/left turn then you dont

(using your quote, not directed at you)

My SatNav advises me on the best route - it does not drive my vehicle and therefore does not force me to do anything.

• Like 2

As a BMW owner who also happens to be an IAM advanced driver I could take offense at some of the generalisations here........

Taz

There are always exceptions, but if people were not stereotypical there would be no stereotypes.

Trouble is that a lot of these high end cars are company cars driven by partner,s who have many other things on their mind other than concentrating on driving. The number of people using mobile phones whilst driving, this brings in white van man !!

Don't worry Taz, this thread will be locked before lunchtime…. :biggrin_mini2:

Gordon

Its 12:30 and still open for business

• Like 2

As a BMW owner who also happens to be an IAM advanced driver I could take offense at some of the generalisations here........

That one is out of date, anyway - all the numpties swapped their BMWs for Audis a while back, it seems...

• Agree 1

As an ex-BMW owner (it was 31 years old when I finally sold it last year), I could also take offence (were it not for the fact that I once picked up 6 points for speeding in it)

I'm equally concerned by the number of ex-UK right-hand-drive cars and vans which have conveniently been re-registered on Romanian and Bulgarian registration plates, thus neatly evading avoiding MoT, VED and UK rates of insurance, congestion charges, speed / red light camera fines.....not to mention some of the rules of the road.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Same with road markings - the driver in 3081 video above, is allowed to enter the hatched area, since not a solid line (whether he should is another matter).

The large 'SLOW' painted onto the road is a hint that this may not be the best spot to overtake.

Typically for a kamikaze overtake, immediately after that spot is a fine place to overtake if only he could be bothered to wait three seconds.

As it was he didn't overtake at all presumably having scared himself silly.

https://goo.gl/maps/6aR1I

Funny thing is it does seem to be a rather widespread belief.

I was picked up at the airport in Amsterdam many years ago and on the slip toad a BMW overtook us and cut in. Are they like that in England, they all drive like maniacs in Holland was the comment from my Dutch colleague.

By contrast a late friend who actually wrote books and manuals re tuning them and drove nothing else was just about the slowest driver, in terms of getting from A to B, I have ever known

Bernard

• Like 3