RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

I cant be sure, but I believe these buses have a lower drivers seat, than the passenger deck. Whether that makes a difference, I don't know never having been in one, let alone drive it!

he will have somwhere in his eyeline an indicator of the hight of his vehicle that he is required to check is correct during his pre start walkaround .we have to actualy write the hight in a box not just tick it off to show you have looked no excuses fir actually hitting anything then .can see how it happens one of our night trunkers does the same run over the same route every night one night towards the end of his run diversion due to overnight road works sent him into our wakefield depot from the opposite direction and bang he hit the low bridge thereason he was tired and on autopilot and it just did not register
  • Like 2

I can see a mitigating circumstance - The recent loss of the driver's father.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. If his fathers condition, or death, - I'm not sure of the exact timelime in relation to the bridge strike - was such a factor in his life then he shouldn't have been driving a coach, with or without passengers onboard.Whether he should have been driving any vehicle in that mental/emotional state?

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. If his fathers condition, or death, - I'm not sure of the exact timelime in relation to the bridge strike - was such a factor in his life then he shouldn't have been driving a coach, with or without passengers onboard.Whether he should have been driving any vehicle in that mental/emotional state?

We are going to have to disagree on that point.

My father died 18 years ago, and I occasionally still feel the loss now - until it happens you never know how you will react. I actually went to work on the day my dad died!!

I cant be sure, but I believe these buses have a lower drivers seat, than the passenger deck. Whether that makes a difference, I don't know never having been in one, let alone drive it!

I can confirm that the make and model of coach in question does have the drivers seat at a lower level to the passenger floor, as is evident from the wing mirror on the right hand side of the coach.

• RMweb Premium

In just about all modern touring coaches the driver sits lower than the passengers - different designs have him at different levels.  Nonetheless, you are generally aware of the height of the top of the windscreen in your peripheral vision.  It's not like a double decker where it's "easier" to forget that there's another deck above your visible ceiling.  To give a sort-of comparison, think of driving a car into one of those low multi-storey car parks, where you instinctively look at the roof and wonder if you'll actually fit.  Its not quite the same, I know.

From the article, it  seems his father died before the start of his jail sentence, a long time after the accident. It says the bridge was notorious, so presumably, thee are a number of accidents there. He was not familiar with the route, so what exactly was going on? Ddid the bus company instruct him to take that bus on that route, was he used to that type of bus, or did he go adrift from the planned route? If he was aware of the heights, I'm guessing he would have not attempted to drive through. 5 years in prison is pretty pointless, that's more like revenge, than justice, it'll achieve no more than say 3 months in prison. Simply fix the bridge, or put in place adequate restrictions for high vehicles.

Edited by raymw

• RMweb Premium

Simply fix the bridge, or put in place adequate restrictions for high vehicles.

Many preventative measures have been taken for this bridge. 26 signs, advance barriers & automatic flashing lights for over height vehicles.

More details here, including the fact that there has been 102 strikes since 2011.

https://www.martinfoley.com.au/montague-street-gantries-give-bridge-break/

It was the 2nd bus from the same company to hit it. 

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/company-s-buses-hit-montague-street-bridge-in-2006-and-2016-court-told-20181010-p508wj.html

Many preventative measures have been taken for this bridge. 26 signs, advance barriers & automatic flashing lights for over height vehicles.

More details here, including the fact that there has been 102 strikes since 2011.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/company-s-buses-hit-montague-street-bridge-in-2006-and-2016-court-told-20181010-p508wj.html

Well, yes. Incidents of this sort very rarely form isolated, unique occurrences. The lane dividers found in several locations around the Peterborough Parkway developed over time, due to repeated incidents caused by (mostly non-local) drivers changing lane suddenly, usually commercial drivers looking for various entrances.

Hi Kevin, wrt your second link, in the UK, I think the bus company would be held largely responsible. Also, over here, if the driver had access to the same lawyer in the same way as a recent morally corrupt footy player, would have got off scot free.

Completely different, I came across this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4frioepuqS0 (Some of the comments are just as crazy as as the case described.)

• Like 1

post-8022-0-05673700-1545487744_thumb.jp

Bloody hell! They fixed that quick. What's the name of their insurance company?

Edited by Baby Deltic

Looking at those pictures, as the bridge is staggered and the lowest part is underneath the main part (if you see what I mean) they need to build the front part down to the height of the lowest part as it is now it looks a lot higher than it actually is because of the recessed part.

from this-

I

l

l---

l

l

l

to this-

l

l

l---

l   l

l   l

l   l

l   l

It wouldnt have to be anything solid, just something to make it look as one beam and catch peoples eyes and make them realise how low it is, clearly doing nothing except putting a few signs up isnt working.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

If only this bus would come down from hiding in Queensland!

post-8022-0-78712700-1545572003_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Looking at those pictures, as the bridge is staggered and the lowest part is underneath the main part (if you see what I mean) they need to build the front part down to the height of the lowest part as it is now it looks a lot higher than it actually is because of the recessed part.

from this-

I

l

l---

l

l

l

to this-

l

l

l---

l   l

l   l

l   l

l   l

It wouldnt have to be anything solid, just something to make it look as one beam and catch peoples eyes and make them realise how low it is, clearly doing nothing except putting a few signs up isnt working.

I see what you mean, the front girder of the bridge is much higher than the one behind, so I guess there is some weight to the argument that you look at the first one and believe it to be higher than it is.  However the vast array of signs (someone said 20+ I think, so they must be noticeable) should alert a reasonably competent driver to the fact that there is a hazard.  And at any rate, as far as the coach goes, even the higher of the two girders looks like it was barely above the driver's head height (it seems to be around the middle of the windows) so this was not a minor misjudgement, it was very clearly much too low.

Forgive me if I am going off topic here, but I do wonder about councils who choose to charge for parking on Christmas Day? Or is it simply another day for making money, even though most businesses will be shut and allowing their employees to have a day of rest?

• Like 2

Forgive me if I am going off topic here, but I do wonder about councils who choose to charge for parking on Christmas Day? Or is it simply another day for making money, even though most businesses will be shut and allowing their employees to have a day of rest?

on a similar theme you think they would of learned by now but nope Ashton underline have done away with free one hours on street parking and replaced it with a pay to park scheme all done via complex to use app lots of complaints already and cynical me just in time for xmas .

on a similar theme you think they would of learned by now but nope Ashton underline have done away with free one hours on street parking and replaced it with a pay to park scheme all done via complex to use app lots of complaints already and cynical me just in time for xmas .

Then they wonder why town and city centres are dying...

Saw the notices advising of the change last year; so no.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Would be ironic if the driver was looking at their phone too - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-46762571

The other half had a Student walk out in front of her car because he was on his phone, she stamped on the brakes, sounded the horn and he jumped up, missed the bonnet completely and put his arse through the windscreen (suffering no injuries except some bruising in the process), when the cops turned up he admitted straight away it was his fault because he was looking at his phone and hadnt looked for any traffic, but that didnt stop the next question asked by the cop being "do you think she was speeding", now as he had already admitted he hadnt looked how would he know if Jo was speeding?

To my mind that line of questioning/hint dropping could only serve to 'persuade' the victim to say the car was speeding and bing bong another 'criminal' in Court and another crime solved, luckily the lad was not having any of it and stuck to the truth.

And people wonder why I dont like the Police!

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 2

To get to our car park at work we have to turn into the road the car park is situated on. I've had several near misses with people not looking (with and without phones!) so now sound my horn if anyone is approaching the junction the same time as me and not looking, I get some horrible looks but I'd rather have that than hit someone.