The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

1 minute ago, jcredfer said:

Reorte is perfectly correct about speed and available space.  If you look how far the black car has gone, compared to the distance she travelled, in the same fraction of a second.  She was pulling out at a speed which would have been normal for an empty A36.  I, perhaps should have added a picture of {09}, showing how far she has travelled from the junction a second later - she wasn't hanging around.  I'll put that picture in after these comments.

Picture 1 {05} - She is approaching the junction, from the A390 onto the A36 at Knook Army Camp, but simply didn't stop and there is no slip lane.  The white top of her car can just be seen some yards back from the junction, where the vertical post of the give-way sign, is lit by the Sun.

Picture 2 {08} - She is already well out onto the A36, in front of the black car.  He managed to skim past her as there was no time to do anything else, other than hit her at around 50+ MPH.  He couldn't pull out further round her, as he would have been straight into my front end.  As you can see, he only managed to miss her {and me} by a couple of inches.

Picture 3 {Still 08} - The black car just succeeds in missing the front of mine, as again he didn't have time to pull any further back to his left.

Picture 4 {at 09} - She is some distance from the junction, already. in less than a full second.

1361859996_08Feb2023-4.jpg.51eeb84c30e637738c2df1c225a28258.jpg

The video is too large to upload to here.  I will try Flickr, to see if that will take it.  The whole thing was so quick, the guy in the black car must have had very fast reactions to have missed her and the front of mine.

Has it been sent to The Police?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnofwessex said:

Has it been sent to The Police?

I haven't had time yet, but yes I will see if they are interested.  Even if it's just a visit to check if it was just driver error, or perhaps getting on in years.....

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Erk, looks very scary from the video, looks very much like not looking at all rather than going for too small a gap from that. Good job the driver of the car that one pulled out right in front of was definitely on the ball, did well to avoid everything there.

• Agree 4

Returned to my car today having parked on the road by my son's home - it's a small line of limited bays outside some shops.  When I parked up there was no car behind me.

When I returned there was a citroen van parked right up against my bumper - touching it.  Rang my son to tell him what had happened when a chap appears behind me agreeing it was badly parked and was touching, began to dawn upon me he was connected to the vehicle and he tells me it's probably not done any damage because the bumper on the Citroen is already loose.  And it was, the car had previously gone into the back of something else and the bumber was attached to the car with cable ties.  Pulled my car forward a bit then tested the reversing sensors were all still working and they were.  Looked at the back of the car and it was without any damage, luckily not even any sign the other car had touched it so it must have been a very soft collision.  The driver, a large chap and not friendly looking, comes back, says 'alright' and gets in the car and they drive off.

Luckily previous experience of similar situations has taught me arguing at this point will likely end up with me on the floor or worse, I doubt very much the van was insured so I just got back into the car and got my composure back.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• 3 weeks later...

There is a lot of hoo-ha going on about the recent accident in Cardiff that left two people dead and two others seriously injured.

It seems to be about the fact that while they were reported missing on Saturday they were not located until the early hours of Monday.

Nothing said about why the vehicle appears to have left the road at high speed with no other vehicle involved.

• Agree 3

17 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

There is a lot of hoo-ha going on about the recent accident in Cardiff that left two people dead and two others seriously injured.

It seems to be about the fact that while they were reported missing on Saturday they were not located until the early hours of Monday.

Nothing said about why the vehicle appears to have left the road at high speed with no other vehicle involved.

Three dead and two injured.

A seems usual, the police are now being criticised for not finding the crashed car earlier, which seems to have ended up in a wooded area which local residents say is not visited by walkers. This appears to be the now common approach to blame the authorities rather than the driver for the tragic outcome of bad driving. 

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Spelling
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

This appears to be the now common approach to blame the authorities rather than the driver for the tragic outcome of bad driving. 

Isn't that just an extension of the general trend to blame someone else for everything, rather than anyone actually taking responsibility for their own actions... 

The BBC article points out that the crash site wasn't visible from the road, and all the police would have known is that they didn't come home on the Saturday, how would they know to be looking for a crashed car, let alone which area to start looking? 

Of course I feel for those who have lost family members in the crash, but I'm not sure the police can be blamed.

Edited by Nick C
  • Agree 16

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Unfortunately he may well

Kevinlms said that he can't "repeat that".  [That car is balanced on the top of a 2 / 3ft tree stump!]

He may well try but ,given the lack of his ability to keep on the road, in the first place, the possibility of his ability to "repeat" perching his vehicle on top of a tree stump.....?????     👇

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-65098443

Pray why doesn't the driver appear to be being prosecuted?  Clearly not a 'Fit and Proper' person

The local reporter wrote - "Officers traced the owner of the vehicle, who said it had broken down. Officers made a safety assessment and informed relevant parties. The matter was left with the landowner."

The Police response can hardly be seen as addressing how a 'fit and proper' driver could get into the situation in the first place.  There is a distinct lack of interest in how a driver could get that far into the situation, without having his / her competency addressed, by the police.

As a result, that person will continue to be driving amongst us.....  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

If he can afford the insurance.

Good point.  Whilst I agree that Insurance would be a probable limiting factor for this driver, I have to wonder why the police might consider that to be sufficient judgement of the driver's 'fitness to drive, according to the laws controlling driving skills, as opposed to the size of their wallet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jcredfer said:

The local reporter wrote - "Officers traced the owner of the vehicle, who said it had broken down. Officers made a safety assessment and informed relevant parties. The matter was left with the landowner."

The Police response can hardly be seen as addressing how a 'fit and proper' driver could get into the situation in the first place.  There is a distinct lack of interest in how a driver could get that far into the situation, without having his / her competency addressed, by the police.

As a result, that person will continue to be driving amongst us.....  

The other issue it raises is a wider one about vehicles on land without the landowners consent. While clearly wheel clamping was a licence for crooks to print money jt wasnt replaced with an effective remedy for landowners who ended up with vehicles dumped/parked/used without their consent.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2