New DCC controller "ACE" from Sig-na Trak

Very interesting, indeed. I thought I recently had an email from Fraser saying they were going to have to give up the business for a number of reasons, that they would supply from remaining stock but would not be making anything new, and were looking for a buyer. Unfortunately I must have deleted the email.  I wonder if that has now changed?

My apologies if I have got that wrong!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Crosland said:

They are a bit vague, lots of "likely", making it sound like the design is not actually finished yet.

I read somewhere that they have seen a prototype. I also noticed the rrp has increased quite a bit. How this stands up to other Dcc systems I'm not sure.

• RMweb Premium

Being a ACE-2 user, and presumably on their mailing list, I had the following email from GFB Designs on the 11th Nov'.

Added as not see this previously posted.  Rob

"Greetings from GFB Designs

Please note that our business model has changed…..

All sales, marketing and product distribution is now being handled by GLR Bespoke services - a well established outlet for model railway products, based in the Vale of Glamorgan in South Wales.

The new arrangement is that everyone buys Sig-naTrak products through GLR. That said, any traders will still enjoy the current rate of discount and new trade customers are welcome to contact GLR.

You may already know, but a chap called Steven Dodd heads up GLR. They can be contacted via their website at www.glrailways.co.uk, by emailing sales@glrailways.com or by telephone on 01446 789084.

The DAC22 is now available, currently with a lead time of 7-10 days, and the development of the ACE-3 controller continues (release date TBA).

I will continue to handle technical support enquiries, either by email to: gfbdesigns05@btinternet.com or by telephone on: +44 (0)7968 057919.

Many thanks for your custom and continued support!

Kindest regards,

Fraser

Proprietor - GFB Designs"

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

Being a ACE-2 user, and presumably on their mailing list, I had the following email from GFB Designs on the 11th Nov'.

Added as not see this previously posted.  Rob

"Greetings from GFB Designs

Please note that our business model has changed…..

All sales, marketing and product distribution is now being handled by GLR Bespoke services - a well established outlet for model railway products, based in the Vale of Glamorgan in South Wales.

The new arrangement is that everyone buys Sig-naTrak products through GLR. That said, any traders will still enjoy the current rate of discount and new trade customers are welcome to contact GLR.

You may already know, but a chap called Steven Dodd heads up GLR. They can be contacted via their website at www.glrailways.co.uk, by emailing sales@glrailways.com or by telephone on 01446 789084.

The DAC22 is now available, currently with a lead time of 7-10 days, and the development of the ACE-3 controller continues (release date TBA).

I will continue to handle technical support enquiries, either by email to: gfbdesigns05@btinternet.com or by telephone on: +44 (0)7968 057919.

Kindest regards,

Fraser

Proprietor - GFB Designs"

I wonder what the future support and updates if any there will be for ACE-2  users ? !

17 minutes ago, johnd said:

I wonder what the future support and updates if any there will be for ACE-2  users ? !

21 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

Kindest regards,

Fraser

Proprietor - GFB Designs

9 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

If it is working now, why should you expect updates?

I take it that you use  a computer which receives on going support and updates many of which you are unaware off, most of which are manufacture instigated as fixes to potential problems to which they have been aware of or indeed improvements to the operation of the system in use.

Edited by johnd

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

If it is working now, why should you expect updates?

Exactly, I buy products  based on meeting my requirements at time of purchase, rather than  future promises of updates. Bug fixes excepted ...

Firstly, a personal computer uses hardware from multiple manufacturers to achieve multiple objectives that are driven by many different software packages that have hugely varying requirement and demands of the system that are constantly changing because it is an open system, unlike any DCC system.

Secondly, the software is operating on every single personal computer in a different environment, it is impossible to control what other software is co-existing beside any other bit of software, and this impossible to prevent potential conflicts within the system, unlike any DCC system where it is known during development exactly what the hardware specifications are and precisely what code will be running on the hardware. A DCC system is a closed environment.

Finally, the development, testing and distribution of software patches and updates (patches and upgrades are not the same thing) is very expensive, and this needs to be paid for. The costs could either be added to the purchase price of the original machine, or these patches and upgrades could be charged as and when they are developed. The last option would be for these costs to be added into the price of the next generation of controller, making it more expensive and thus negatively impact sales and the revenue required to develop patches and upgrades.

However, I return to my original point, if your controller is working now, why does it need any patches or updates.

Edited by WIMorrison
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

However, I return to my original point, if your controller is working now, why does it need any patches or updates.

In my case, there have been plans for a few years to produce a separate LocoNet upgrade module, which would connect to the ACE-2.  I note that the description for the ACE-3 states "LocoNet upgrade module (near future) to allow linking to all other Sig-naTrak LocoNet products (along with other brands LocoNet products). This will also mean that it will be able to be used with train control software such as iTrain for full or partial layout automation."

My question is therefore can I purchase this LocoNet upgrade module (when it becomes available) and use it with the ACE-2 (as was originally envisaged) or will it now only 'talk' to the ACE-3.  Obviously without an upgrade path from the ACE-2, there is little point in purchasing the DAC22, which has LocoNet capability, it it can't actually communicate with the Command Station.  My understanding is that this would require a software update on the ACE-2 once the LocoNet module has been released.

Ultimately, we'll probably just have to wait and see.

• 7 months later...

Hi all

Stumbled across this whilst looking into some suppliers, and even though it's an old thread I thought it worthwhile to drop in an update.

Hi, I'm Alex, and I work at GLR, the business currently taking over distribution for Sig-naTrak. The ACE 3's had more than a few release date setbacks, however we've got athe first prototype that we have been demonstrating since the Nailsea show this year.

All going to plan, we should finally have a few factory samples in the next few weeks! I can't say for definite when it will be released, but we'll have more of an answer once the factory samples arrive 😁

• Informative/Useful 2

I have today been speaking to both Fraser, proprietor of GBH and spoke with Alex  from GLR Bespoke services who both confirm the new version of their DCC controller the Ace 3 will be available to purchase very soon.  They have some pre production to video view on the GLR web site.  https://www.glrailways.co.uk/index.asp

One point of interest to me was there is an intention to update the Ace2 to the later A3 software but not all functions will upgrade i.e. the A3 has a full size edge to edge touch screen.  The panel box looks similar size to the A2.  One of the new functions is to be able to draw your track work on the screen and activate the accessories from there.

It is well worth a look at the GLR web site video.

Cheers

Barnaby

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello again! Quick update as I've just had a catchup with Fraser. He's ironing out some wrinkles with the circuit design but is pressing forward! He's also hoping to come visit us down in South Wales early August to share a software modification tool with us, so we can work with customer feedback on adding new updates and settings to the UI, like colour blind modes or as I thought might be useful, a 'left hand' mode where the keypad and loco drive display change sides, just the little things to improve user friendliness!

He's also confirmed that he still has every intention of releasing a software update for the ACE 2 to bring it closer in line with the 3s where hardware permitting, and with the intention of computer control connectivity.

I'll try and keep you all up to date as I get the news 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again.

Exciting update, Fraser is visiting tomorrow with the first batch of boards! He'll be teaching us assembly and we'll be doing a test batch to test to buggery to make sure everything works as intended! Once we're happy they're working as intended, that's it, launch time!

We're also getting the software modification tool, so post launch we can make adjustments to the UI based on user feedback! I'll try and check here periodically for any suggestions!

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hi all, as you might have guessed, the boards in August didn't go to plan. There was an issue with the surge protectors that needed a bit of work!

However, I have very good news now, Fraser is coming next week with the corrected boards, and he's test assembled one before his journey to great success!

We now should be beginning assembly next week. While I'm hesitant to say a launch date still given how fickle technology can be and after so many delays, but providing everything does go to plan, the first batch should be shipping out to pre orders and the rest available to the public in the next few weeks!

Fingers crossed assembly goes to plan!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1