New DCC controller "ACE" from Sig-na Trak

This is great news Tony, thanks. As a dunce, can you just confirm that when you say the firmware will be available, does that mean I can then download it and update my ACE using a memory stick, or do I have to have the ACE attached to my laptop for the upgrade to take place?

Mike

The ACE will need to be connected to a Windows PC using the UBI2044 USB Module, and an application you download from the Sig-naTrak website will run on the PC to send the updated version of the ACE Operating System to the ACE over the USB cable. It can unfortunately not be done with a USB stick.

Tony

As promised earlier in the week, we have today released the USB Interface Module for the ACE DCC Controller for pre-order from our shop.

It will be available for collection from the Warley Exhibition at the NEC at the end of November, or for those not attending the exhibition, will be posted out on 1st December.

The UBI2044 is used for updating the firmware on the ACE DCC Controller, and it is intended, also to be used for PC Control in the future.

The latest version of the ACE Firmware (v3.20) will also be released at the same time, and this includes the following updates to the ACE software.

• 16 user assignable function sets, allowing locomotives to have individually named function buttons. This is especially useful for DCC Sound fitted locos.
  • Faster response times to the touch panel and from DRIVER handsets to allow for easier DCC sound control.
  • Factory Reset and Touch Screen Re-calibration functions.
  • Emergency Stop software updates.
  • Internal code structure changes in preparation for LocoNet® and PC control functions.

The UBI2044 USB Interface Module is available to pre-order now from the Sig-naTrak website for only £30.00

Further Firmware updates will be made available from time-to-time to add functionality and for bug-fixes as required.

https://www.signatrak.co.uk/products/ace-dcc-controller-accessories/ubi2044_usbmodule

Notes:
GFB Designs - trading as Sig-naTrak® are licenced developers of LocoNet® devices. LocoNet® is a registered trademark of Digitrax Inc.

• Like 1

Well after reading this topic I've taken the plunge and ordered the 5amp version of the ACE controller. I've had my current ZTC 511 for about 10 years (and two replacement motherboards) is now playing up again will have to be discarded. I will miss the hand controller. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Agree with the above, I've also got a ZTC which is now playing up, tempted to replace it with a Sig-naTrak, but worried I'll miss the handheld controller too.

Edited by njee20

Agree with the above, I've also got a ZTC which is now playing up, tempted to replace it with a Sig-naTrak, but worried I'll miss the handheld controller too.

You can buy a hand controller to go with the ACE, at a very reasonable price, but it has limited functionality for sound etc. I use it for shunting the fiddle yard and coupling/uncoupling in sidings.

You can buy a hand controller to go with the ACE, at a very reasonable price, but it has limited functionality for sound etc. I use it for shunting the fiddle yard and coupling/uncoupling in sidings.

I didn't like the hand controller when I looked at it on the exhibition display stand, it's very basic in both looks and functionality. It was virtually impossible to smoothly pass speed control from the main controller to the handset without either stopping or having a jump in speed.

I didn't like the hand controller when I looked at it on the exhibition display stand, it's very basic in both looks and functionality. It was virtually impossible to smoothly pass speed control from the main controller to the handset without either stopping or having a jump in speed.

That is true. I never thought of handover when moving. I always stop and change over, when about to shunt, as per prototype. I only use it in those situations, to save walking backwards and forwards to the ACE unit, when making up or uncoupling trains by hand at the far end of the layout. The ACE is perfectly fine for all other operations. The hand controller is deliberately very basic, to keep it very cheap, as stated by Fraser, the developer. I guess it has to be a compromise between costs and functionality. You can get more functionality from other hand held, or really, walkabout controllers, such as NCE Powercab and similar, but then you lose the ease of use of the ACE for multiple functions on its tablet size screen. Sounds operation, consisting, CV changes etc are so much easier than I have found on other comparably priced systems.

In the end, only you can decide what you want!

• 1 month later...

I saw two of these today at the Southampton show.

One on the Sunningwell Command Control stand and another on working demonstration in the DCC demo room.

I'm still very unsure about the use of preset function sets, rather than having user defined functions (per stored loco) as on some other systems.

The handsets are very basic too, but that aside, it looks to be a well thought out system.

Not the slickest looking in build terms, but the important bit, the screen interface, seems to work quite well.

I was told that Fraser was having a break, so I missed a chance to ask a few more questions and get an update on future developments.

Still, I'm now rather tempted to buy one.

• Like 1

I saw two of these today at the Southampton show.

One on the Sunningwell Command Control stand and another on working demonstration in the DCC demo room.

I'm still very unsure about the use of preset function sets, rather than having user defined functions (per stored loco) as on some other systems.

The handsets are very basic too, but that aside, it looks to be a well thought out system.

Not the slickest looking in build terms, but the important bit, the screen interface, seems to work quite well.

I was told that Fraser was having a break, so I missed a chance to ask a few more questions and get an update on future developments.

Still, I'm now rather tempted to buy one.

Hi Ron Ron Ron,

I spent a good few hours talking to Fraser and SCC one of the points I made was to give the user the ability to change the F Keys fictions and he was liked that idea he has a lot of development ideas coming up but I won't say any off them but I like what he say. The biggest thing I learnt today is this is Fraser part time job so thing will take time. if you have any question just E-mail Fraser and he will try to answer it.

Richard

• Like 1

Hi Ron Ron Ron,

I spent a good few hours talking to Fraser and SCC one of the points I made was to give the user the ability to change the F Keys fictions and he was liked that idea he has a lot of development ideas coming up but I won't say any off them but I like what he say. The biggest thing I learnt today is this is Fraser part time job so thing will take time. if you have any question just E-mail Fraser and he will try to answer it.

Richard

He has an assistant now, who is very clued up and tends to answer technical queries. There is a list of prioritised future upgrades on the website, but timing is still vague. One improvement is the use of more than one programmer now - previous work was stop and start depending on the health (or so it seemed) of the one chap they had doing the stuff that Fraser could not do personally. All in all, they have progressed much faster than ZTC, or subsequently Taunton Controls have done, so I am optimistic,

I have used the ACE only on my two different test track set ups, basically long planks, so far, but I have to say that it is such a pleasure to use after the tribulations of a Bachmann Elite and then the original Dynamis system, and easily compares more than favourably to the NCE set up I borrowed for a few months, primarily due to the large screen format. It is not optimal, that's for sure, but you would have to pay well over £500 to better it, IMHO, for screen functionality and ease of use, if you want easy sound control, easy consisting, easy CV programming and intuitive operation. Others will promote more established systems, at around or not much more in price, but that is a factor of familiarity with DCC control as traditionally practiced, and a greater capability to interact with PCs/tablets/mobile phones and other things which I neither want nor need.

But, truth be told, if Taunton do get round to a large screen upgrade to the ZTC 611, I would buy that without a second's thought.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks as always for the feedback and praise.

As always if anyone has any questions regarding the ACE, please feel free to ask here and I will do my best to answer them.

If you don't wish to ask in public or you have something more random, Fraser and I are also available by email from the Sig-naTrak website (link in my footer).

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Tony, your post #127 mentions future compatibility with LocoNet. While I take it this is primarily to ensure your former CML boards can function seemlessly with th ACE can you expand on this development as it may present a nicer interface for us established Digitrax users.

Supprised to see the ACE DCC controller is 'out of stock' on the Sig-Na-Track website, but also that there is no mention of the ACE-2 due for release in March (according to the ad in Hornby Mag).

The only thing I can gleem from the ad is that the ACE-2 has the USB interface built-in and has a price tag of £192 for the 3.5amp version.

Maybe Tony can give us some more details. I.e. Any new firmware updates including 'route' setting.

I guess the fact that a new version is planned explains why the ACE is 'out of stock' on the Sig-Na-Trak website.  No small manufacturer is going to want to be left with stock of a soon to be superseded / discontinued model. If that same manufacturer is going to look after his retail stockists (Coastal DCC, Digitrax, and DCC Train Operation), then it's probably best to pass business their way before any major publicity about the 'new' model.  That is, apart from your post, I was unaware that a new version was to be released and therefore I may have purchased one in blissful ignorance of an upcoming update.  Unfortunately, the publishing deadlines for magazines means that the decision to advertise the ACE-2 was probably made before the situation on stock levels could be fully known.

I note that Sig-Na-Trak are to be at Model Rail Scotland in a couple of weeks and I hope to be able to catch up with them at their stand to see how user friendly the interface is.  I'm not a current DCC user, but will probably be looking for a capable starter set later this year. The ACE looks to be a contender from what I've read about it. £192 seems like quite a price hike from £158, but if the new version includes the USB Interface, which is currently £30, then that's only an extra £4.  Hardly a big enough saving to make me rush out and buy something without seeing it.

Edited by Dungrange

Hi Guys,

As always if anyone has any questions regarding the ACE, please feel free to ask here and I will do my best to answer them.

).

If you want to find out what is going on why not ask him directly here is their link to contact them 

https://www.signatrak.co.uk/contact-us

Richard

Because Tony is happy to answer questions here so we all can see the answer.

• RMweb Premium

The USB interface seems to be of comparatively limited benefit - firmware updates. Not sure that having it internally is a huge improvement.

I keep being tempted by one of these. It does look fairly "Fisher Price", but you can't argue with the cost!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, sorry for the delay in getting back to you all with these questions, but I hope the following will answer them all as best I can.

The last year has been a learning curve for Fraser and I. Fraser has been manufacturing the ACE in-house and this has taken its toll on the development of further products and enhancements to the ACE itself.

The new "ACE-2" unit that was mentioned is being sub-contract manufactured (still in the UK though) and, the cost of this outsourced manufacturing was going to always add increase the price of the ACE. To try and absorb this, we have incorporated the USB module on-board which reduced the cost of producing a second board, and made the price of the ACE+USB and ACE2 comparable in terms of functionality and cost. Also, the cost of individual components have increased exponentially in the last two years since we purchased the components to make the first batches of the ACE.

There has been a delay due to the sourcing of display modules, and finding a suitable manufacturer in the UK.

Tony, your post #127 mentions future compatibility with LocoNet. While I take it this is primarily to ensure your former CML boards can function seemlessly with th ACE can you expand on this development as it may present a nicer interface for us established Digitrax users.

Yes on both counts here. We are intending to develop the LocoNet add-on to allow for the use of the CML boards, and also more enhanced throttles to allow for point control and switching to control another loco without returning to the ACE panel first (such as the DT40x type handset). The benefit of this will be that the ACE will also then work as a Throttle which it should be possible to plug into a DCS150 type command station unit to get the touchscreen interface.

Supprised to see the ACE DCC controller is 'out of stock' on the Sig-Na-Track website, but also that there is no mention of the ACE-2 due for release in March (according to the ad in Hornby Mag).

The only thing I can gleem from the ad is that the ACE-2 has the USB interface built-in and has a price tag of £192 for the 3.5amp version.
Maybe Tony can give us some more details. I.e. Any new firmware updates including 'route' setting.

There was no mention of the ACE-2 as it was to be announced in March, but as the "March edition" of most mags are released in Feb, this has caught us out.

There are currently no firmware updates planned for the initial release of the ACE-2, and the only change from a user point of view will be the built in USB port. There will be firmware updates to v4 when we release the LocoNet interface.

Regarding the cost, we are now selling it through a number of retailers who obviously must also make a profit and the new RRP also takes account of this, with us making a loss on the units sold by retailers as the original price was based on GFB Designs (Sig-naTrak) selling them directly.

The USB interface seems to be of comparatively limited benefit - firmware updates. Not sure that having it internally is a huge improvement.

I keep being tempted by one of these. It does look fairly "Fisher Price", but you can't argue with the cost!

The USB Interface is initially only for firmware updates, but we are working to allow it to be operated using PC control in the future. This has been delayed as we are a part time business and development has taken a back-burner while we have attempted to keep up with demand for the ACE, as well as our other Sig-naTrak products and the learning curve required to support and manufacture the CML control boards as well.

Now that the ACE has been sub-contracted, we are able to concentrate on the other options and expansions we hope to release for the ACE and also to update some of the CML products to be a little more user-friendly and compatible.

While I won't agree or disagree with the "Fisher Price"/"V-Tech" comments about the design of the case for the ACE and DRIVER, I will make the following points ...

* the DRIVER handset is designed to be a basic handset with limited functionality which has been built "to a cost" to allow for cheap additional control, that is child friendly - allowing younger children to use the Driver without being given a £150-£200 control unit with glass and more fragile electronics components inside. The case for the DRIVER is designed to pop open upon impact rather than to break/smash open as part of the design of it. This means that (like the old nokia phones and Smart car concept) that the impact is taken by the separation of the case, rather than break the unit.

* the case for the ACE is an off-the-shelf case which we have modified with a cut-out for a 7 inch screen and 4 inch display. We simply do not have the money to develop a custom moulded case for the ACE, with tooling costs in excess of £15,000 for a unit that we were uncertain of the success of. While we are now confident of the retailability of the ACE, to make back the £15k on the tooling (before the cost of the manufacture of the cases and minimum order quantity) would have included adding more to the price of the ACE. As the increase by £34 (but incorporating the USB) has already raised comments - despite it still being cheaper than many of the other controllers in this functionality range - how could we then justify making a custom moulded case and adding another £30 (based on 500 units sold) to the cost on top?

What would make the ACE less "Fisher Price" like?

What would make the DRIVER less "Fisher Price" like?

What additional functions (other than Routes which we are working on) would you like to see from the ACE in v4?

Regards, Tony

• RMweb Premium

Embrace your Fisher Price aesthetics. It doesn't bother me in any way, it was a bit tongue in cheek, and my hesitation is nothing to do with how it looks (rather I like the tactility of my ZTC).

There are a number of apparently 'high end' analogue/DC controllers with similarly high end prices that, to me at least, do not seem to have the 'fit and finish' one would expect from such products - Nowt wrong with Fisher Price - they've made a lot of money from basic and simple !

Maybe installing the touchscreen from above the front panel with a neat bezel around it would help change the appearance a little, or possibly a screen that is the full size of the case, with less of a border around it ? I appreciate that the case size will, to an extent, be dictated by screen and pcb size, but, I have a vision of a case with no more border around the screen than maybe an iPad or similar.

I don't have an ACE controller, but, I am considering one, purely on the basis of the simple hand held unit - I have not found anything else as yet which fits my needs any better.

I've no problem with the base unit (apart from the lack of the route function), it's the handheld remotes that put me off. I'd happily pay more for something a bit more sophisticated. Like a display showing what loco you were controlling and the loco speed being passed over when switching from main unit to remote (and vice versa) instead of coming to a halt.

• RMweb Premium

I bought one of these at the SECC in Glasgow last weekend and am very pleased with it so far, although I've only really tested it as yet.  I bought it with two Driver throttles to operate a small depot layout, rather than keep moving my Lenz set up between the two, and it seems to do everything I ask of it, plus makes programming very easy when connected to my programming track via the display screen.  The fact that you can only allocate locos to a throttle from the base station sounds odd, but on a small layout works fine as I'll never be far away from it.  I wouldn't have bought another "high-end" system, the cost would not have been justified, but at under £200 (a bit more with the price increase, I know) it easily does the jobs of running the layout and programming things without having to go to the loft.  The touch screen throttle works very well too, something I'd been wary of, especially since I don't really like my push-button Lenz handset for speed control, and have always preferred a dial, but the screen and stylus make it very easy to control stock at slow speeds, the screen not being too "slippery".  My only slight niggle is that the repeat rate on buttons is a bit slow, for example when typing in a loco address, there needs to be a very slight pause between taps of the number keys, but that is only a very minor preference, and overall am very happy with the unit.

Maybe installing the touchscreen from above the front panel with a neat bezel around it would help change the appearance a little, or possibly a screen that is the full size of the case, with less of a border around it ?

The style of touch panel that is used on the ACE, which is a resistive rather than capacitive screen, must have a border as it has a 'dead zone' around the edge of the screen. I must also point out that tge ACE only has a 4 inch screen, the rest of the 7 inch touch panel being a static button section which was on all active screens anyway and reduced the cost of the screen.

Unfortunately, a custom moulding with a nice bezel would (as previously stated) add a large tooling and moulding cost for the volume we anticipate producing and as the screen we use is not compatible with a flat panel capacitive iPad/Tablet style screen.

If you are after an iPad style controller, I would have to suggest that an iPad or Android tablet (with its associated costs) plus some form of interface for it via WiFi or Bluetooth to your layout would suite your needs better than the ACE.

Have you considered the ESU ECoS controller?

Edited by Sig-naTrak Tony