New DCC controller "ACE" from Sig-na Trak

Produce a spreadsheet with Loco no at the top and function (F no) so they can be read for each loco when printed . Problem solved.

That isn't a proper solution when what you have here a software driven UI on a glass screen.

It should be possible for the function buttons to be labelled accordingly for each individual loco and to only offer the corresponding number of function buttons for the number of functions available, or required on each individual loco.

Still, it's early days and clearly this small operation have undoubtedly done a sterling job in bringing such a system to market, with what must be fairly meagre resources.

Be great if the issue with is addressed otherwise whats the point in being able to name each function? Some of my locos have no3 as a horn, others its a coupler.. So may as well leave blank.. Unless you buy same makers chips, lego or howes- thats the only way you can keep thungs simple but realistically this just doesn't happen

Be great if the issue with is addressed otherwise whats the point in being able to name each function? Some of my locos have no3 as a horn, others its a coupler.. So may as well leave blank.. Unless you buy same makers chips, lego or howes- thats the only way you can keep thungs simple but realistically this just doesn't happen

But you can reassign sounds to function keys.  With Zimo anyway.  I assume that the same applies to ESU.

Mike

Ask Fraser on email ( use address shown in his website - www.gfbdesigns.co.uk.) He replies usually within 24 hours unless out on a show. I must admit I have not yet looked that up in the very clear instruction manual I have with mine, as I have only used two locos with it in test mode so far, which both had the same make of soundchip so the function menu was identical. But if not available now, he is working on a series of upgrades, including a wireless version, and a number of user entry change possibilities of which that may well be one.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the late reply to this thread guys!

Thanks for the good feedback on the ACE guys.

Unfortunately, at the present time, if you rename a button on the ACE, it will rename it for all locos.

If we were to allow all saved 127 locomotive registers to have 28 functions, this would very quickly start to use up lots of the ACE's memory (3556 individual button names). Adding the USED/NOT-USED option adds another 3556 too. We are however looking into options for this in a future firmware update ... but not just yet.

Leaving them all as F0-F28 however, gives you the same functions (and names) as available in most other DCC Command Stations, at a lower price.

Regarding the Stylus comment made earlier in the thread, we do ship a stylus similar to those shipped with the Nintendo DS with the ACE. You can also use the blunt end of a pen (the lid of a biro works well and is what I use at exhibitions to demonstrate).

Sorry for the late reply to this thread guys!

Thanks for the good feedback on the ACE guys.

Unfortunately, at the present time, if you rename a button on the ACE, it will rename it for all locos.

If we were to allow all saved 127 locomotive registers to have 28 functions, this would very quickly start to use up lots of the ACE's memory (3556 individual button names). Adding the USED/NOT-USED option adds another 3556 too. We are however looking into options for this in a future firmware update ... but not just yet.

Leaving them all as F0-F28 however, gives you the same functions (and names) as available in most other DCC Command Stations, at a lower price.

Regarding the Stylus comment made earlier in the thread, we do ship a stylus similar to those shipped with the Nintendo DS with the ACE. You can also use the blunt end of a pen (the lid of a biro works well and is what I use at exhibitions to demonstrate).

Thanks Tony. Fraser mentioned that a series of updates to functionality are in the pipeline. I realise this all takes time, but do you know what the first is likely to be, and very roughly when - for example, wireless operation?

Thanks Tony. Fraser mentioned that a series of updates to functionality are in the pipeline. I realise this all takes time, but do you know what the first is likely to be, and very roughly when - for example, wireless operation?

Hi Mike,

Following the purchase of the CML business earlier in the year, we have been getting to grips with the "new" products in our range.

We have not forgotten about the ACE though and we are currently working on a number of options including the Wireless option, a LocoNet interface - which will also complement the former CML range of products and we are also working on the USB module which will allow users to install updates and will hopefully be available soon.

Unfortunately, we don't have any timescales yet, but I will endeavour to get some realistic timescales for you.

What happened to the route function? This was shown in an earlier version of the manual as a 'Future option' but seems to have been dropped in the latest version. Hope this is not the case.

Tender, as I said above,

"Following the purchase of the CML business earlier in the year, we have been getting to grips with the "new" products in our range. We have not forgotten about the ACE though and we are currently working on a number of options".

While I did not specifically mention the route function, it is on the list of additions and upgrades that we are working on to roll out. Unfortunately, there are simply not enough hours in the day to do everything at once, and despite the appearance of the new website and ever extending range, Sig-naTrak is still run as a cottage industry part time business and Fraser's full-time job does still take precedence.

I have joined Fraser in an administrative and customer service/support role, helping with the running of the shop, website, support enquiries and at exhibitions to enable him to spend more time working on the things that matter to you all ... product development and production.

How about being able to individualy name functions for say just a bank of your first 10 locos.. That would probably solve the problem for me.. Just a thought..Thanks for answering us Fraser.

You could name a function for all of your locos ;-) but as I said above, renaming a function for only a few locos is not currently supported.

Regards Tony

Edited by Sig-naTrak Tony

Tender, as I said above,

While I did not specifically mention the route function, it is on the list of additions and upgrades that we are working on to roll out. Unfortunately, there are simply not enough hours in the day to do everything at once, and despite the appearance of the new website and ever extending range, Sig-naTrak is still run as a cottage industry part time business and Fraser's full-time job does still take precedence.

Regards Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony. Hopefully the wait won't be too long, the route function is something I rely on extensively with my current system so a must before I consider a change. Edited by tender

Just wanted to say that I had an issue with my ACE where there the screen for the handheld controllers locked, I contacted Signatrak, posted my ACE to them on Friday 23rd and by Wednesday 28th it was back with me good as new and with the latest firmware added to boot! no charge for the repair and my postage was reimbursed as well.

All in all a great service which bodes well for the future of Signatrak.

Simon

• Like 3

Just wanted to say that I had an issue with my ACE where there the screen for the handheld controllers locked, I contacted Signatrak, posted my ACE to them on Friday 23rd and by Wednesday 28th it was back with me good as new and with the latest firmware added to boot! no charge for the repair and my postage was reimbursed as well.

All in all a great service which bodes well for the future of Signatrak.

Simon

Hi Simon, glad we could sort out the issue with it. The issue was caused by a fault between the DRIVER and the ACE causing erroneous data and the software locking out because it wasn't sure what to do with it. We fixed the lock-out in a later version of the firmware, and as you can't upgrade the firmware yourself yet, it would be wrong to charge you for a software glitch so felt it was only right to cover this under warranty :-)

Thanks for the positive feedback once again, and I hope you have lots of fun ... I mean serious railway testing ... this weekend as you originally had planned.

We'll be at the Wigan Show this weekend at the Robin Park Leisure Centre (next to the DW Stadium just outside the centre of town, less than a mile from Wigan Stations) if anyone would like to pop in and see the ACE (or any of our other products) in action.

Regards, Tony

Click here for more details of the exhibition including Google Maps directions 

• 3 weeks later...

... Are there any plans to allow it to connect & run with PC layout control software like JMRI or RocRail ?

Hi Pete,

We have developed a usb module, and are currently developing a LocoNet interface for the ACE. We then hope to develop the USB module further with PC Control from JMRI, RR&C & RocRail subject to developer support.

Unfortunately I do not have a time frame for the release of the PC Control at the moment.

Regards Tony.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

The USB Module (UBI2044) will be officially released at Warley, along with an updated version of the firmware (v3.20) which has a number of updates including...

• Faster DRIVER and touchscreen response times.
  • 16 different function sets for trains (allowing different locos to have differently named function buttons AND momentary (release to OFF) or latching (press ON, press OFF) functions).
  • Factory reset option (to be used with caution!)

The firmware will also be available on our website from the 1st December. We will also commence shipping of the UBI2044 module from this date.

The UBI2044 module will be available for pre-order from this Friday, with the option to collect at Warley or shipped on 1st December.

Regards Tony

Edited by Sig-naTrak Tony

• 16 different function sets for trains (allowing different locos to have differently named function buttons AND momentary (release to OFF) or latching (press ON, press OFF) functions)........

Hi Tony

Does this mean that only the functions assigned to individual locos, will be displayed (i.e. if a stored loco has a 4 function decoder, only those functions will be available for selection and not unavailable higher numbers)?

Ron

Hi Tony

Does this mean that only the functions assigned to individual locos, will be displayed (i.e. if a stored loco has a 4 function decoder, only those functions will be available for selection and not unavailable higher numbers)?

Ron

No, sorry Ron,

This means that you can have 16 different sets of 29 function names (Set A-P), each set having different options for momentary or latching buttons ...

Set A "default" - LIGHTS, F1, F2 (mom), F3 (mom), F4, F5 (mom), F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11 ....

Set D "diesel" - H/LITE, ENSTRT, HI-LO, LO-HI, DOORS (mom), I/LITE, SQUEEL (mom), HRN-HI (mom), HRN-LO (mom), BELL, WHISTLE (mom), ....

Set E "electric" - H/LITE, START, HI-LO, LO-HI, DOORS (mom), INLITE, PGRAPH, HRN-HI (mom), HRN-LO (mom), WHISTLE (mom), COUPLE (mom) ....

Set K "steam" - H/LITE, BELL, L-WSTL (mom), S-WSTL (mom), STMREL (mom), SMOKE (mom), SMOKE, DIMMER, MUTE, WATER (mom), INJECT (mom), COUPLE (mom) ....

Set L "all latching" - LIGHTS, F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11 ....

Set M "all momentary" - LIGHTS, F1 (mom), F2 (mom), F3 (mom), F4 (mom), F5 (mom), F6 (mom), F7 (mom), F8 (mom), F9 (mom), F10 (mom), F11 (mom) ....

Set P "default" - LIGHTS, F1, F2 (mom), F3 (mom), F4, F5 (mom), F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11 ....

On all function sets, you will have all 29 functions, none of the buttons will be disabled, but you can always delete the name so that the buttons are blank.

Momentary buttons (so release to OFF), are displayed in dark green (light green while pressed), and latching buttons are displayed in Dark Blue while active, and light blue while active. Each function button name can be upto 6 characters in length (any longer and it was either too difficult to read because of font size, or too long for the button).

While I have listed only some function sets, all of the sets will be active, and all function sets will be set to the default setting unless individually edited by the user. If you are happy with one function set or F1-F28 all latching, then no editing needs to be done to the function sets.

Hope this helps,

Tony

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

The USB Module (UBI2044) will be officially released at Warley, along with an updated version of the firmware (v3.20) which has a number of updates including...

• Faster DRIVER and touchscreen response times.
  • 16 different function sets for trains (allowing different locos to have differently named function buttons AND momentary (release to OFF) or latching (press ON, press OFF) functions).
  • Factory reset option (to be used with caution!)

The firmware will also be available on our website from the 1st December. We will also commence shipping of the UBI2044 module from this date.

The UBI2044 module will be available for pre-order from this Friday, with the option to collect at Warley or shipped on 1st December.

Regards Tony

This is great news Tony, thanks. As a dunce, can you just confirm that when you say the firmware will be available, does that mean I can then download it and update my ACE using a memory stick, or do I have to have the ACE attached to my laptop for the upgrade to take place?

Mike