Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SoundTraxx Econami sound decoders @ £55

philsandy

Hi,

I also bought one of these, Economi 100-Steam at Warley. To my untrained ear, the sound is great.Unfortunately I model in Ngauge and try as I might,there is no way  I can get it to fit

in anything I have,even with the speaker in an attached wagon.----Unless anyone has any other ideas ?

Richard

I'm n gauge too, and was reading down this thread with the idea of 'consisting' some of these under the base board with bigger-than-loco-sized-speakers, as static sound decoders. I may have some larger locomotives in the future, that could take speakers (e.g. Farish WD), but I'll also always have some small tank engines that won't ever take a speaker, and I think the mix of sound an non-sound would be worse than no sound at all. With static sound decoders, all the space in the engines can then be used for capacitors.

I'm not a purist, and as long as it sounds OK-ish, it is probably better value for my needs. Does anyone know if there are issues with e.g. these econamai in consist mode without a motor connected? I saw in another thread someone had rigged up a motor and gearbox to provide a load under the board.

Having had a problem as per my last post, thankfully a damaged motor connection proved to blame, and she now runs beautifully! I have adjusted acceleration and deceleration to 200 and 50, which are pretty good, but loving it especially now I've altered the chuff rate to match wheel rotation! So realistic! The dynamic engine sound gives a more powerful chuff if you open her up, gradually automatically reducing until speed is reached. F5 gives a drift mode which is cool, and love F16 water fill. Only thing I would add is a shovelling/coaling sound which is very absent. Is that because all us locos are mechanically coaled? If so, shouldn't that have a sound?? Video to be loaded as soon as I can get a round tuit.

Only thing I would add is a shovelling/coaling sound which is very absent. Is that because all us locos are mechanically coaled? If so, shouldn't that have a sound?? Video to be loaded as soon as I can get a round tuit.

There used to be a lot of shovelling coal sounds. Indeed near every sound project had one. It attracted a lot of flak, some of it from me, as to whether it was really necessary. My argument was that short of standing on or next to the footplate, one would not hear the sound in real life.

Plus of course it used up a sound slot in decoders that were already short of space for sounds. In truth, when steam was in full use in the UK, firemen were actively discouraged from coaling the fire in urban siuations and only 8 shovelfuls per mile were recommended for normal running. Very few layouts are even a fraction of that and most are urban in character.

There used to be a lot of shovelling coal sounds. Indeed near every sound project had one. It attracted a lot of flak, some of it from me, as to whether it was really necessary. My argument was that short of standing on or next to the footplate, one would not hear the sound in real life.

This is one of the dilemmas in sound projects.   Should they be the sounds heard from the footplate (as you are driving the train from the throttle), but the view is from track side ?   Or should they be the sounds heard trackside ? And in which case, at what distance, as the sounds heard stood next to a loco (coaling might be heard, though it would be quiet) are somewhat different to what's heard a modest field away.   

- Nigel

This is one of the dilemmas in sound projects.   Should they be the sounds heard from the footplate (as you are driving the train from the throttle), but the view is from track side ?   Or should they be the sounds heard trackside ? And in which case, at what distance, as the sounds heard stood next to a loco (coaling might be heard, though it would be quiet) are somewhat different to what's heard a modest field away.   

- Nigel

I think that this is the conundrum of sound projects; is it an accurate and faithful reproduction of the real thing albeit 'modelised' or is it purely a performance, guaranteed to charm friends and family.

I think the coaling sounds started in the 'performance' character and never made it to the 'reality'

I think that this is the conundrum of sound projects; is it an accurate and faithful reproduction of the real thing albeit 'modelised' or is it purely a performance, guaranteed to charm friends and family.

I think the coaling sounds started in the 'performance' character and never made it to the 'reality'

Of course the neat thing is that many of these sounds can be turned on or off (depending on the decoder) so that you can have one set of sounds for one group and another for a different.  Rivet counters or Thomas lovers - all can be made to smile.  Fantastic how far sound decoders have come in the past 10 or so years!  I only wish my late Dad could see all of this.

Edited by davefromacrossthepond
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Having had a problem as per my last post, thankfully a damaged motor connection proved to blame, and she now runs beautifully! I have adjusted acceleration and deceleration to 200 and 50, which are pretty good, but loving it especially now I've altered the chuff rate to match wheel rotation! So realistic! The dynamic engine sound gives a more powerful chuff if you open her up, gradually automatically reducing until speed is reached. F5 gives a drift mode which is cool, and love F16 water fill. Only thing I would add is a shovelling/coaling sound which is very absent. Is that because all us locos are mechanically coaled? If so, shouldn't that have a sound?? Video to be loaded as soon as I can get a round tuit.

Have you got your round tuit yet?

Good info. Keep it coming. Alas, Soundtraxx has informed us in the USA that these UK sound decoders MUST be purchased from one of the UK suppliers.  Sounds like a real Anglophile is in charge!  Piffle!  Otherwise, what speaker did you use for the Prairie?

George

North Carolina

• 3 weeks later...

I have one in a Bachmann class 66. Whilst I am quite impressed with the quality the prime mover sound runs away with itself and doesn't respond very quickly to a change in speed - any ideas on what CV's to change to sort this out as I cannot seem to get my head around the manual for some reason. If I can resolve that I am planning to buy some more in the near future as a cheaper way of adding sound.

• 2 months later...

Have you got your round tuit yet?

Yes... two videos up (forgot to update this site until now - oops!) 

- shows my prairie double headed with a 56xx on china clay - using the articulated synched sound capability..

- a full-length video of me fitting the decoder and speaker to my Bachmann prairie - not for the feint hearted!

I'll post more when I get another around-tuit!

Cheers!

Very happy with mine; I especially like the guard's whistle and doors slamming (which you can choose how many doors) and the drive rods clanking when in drift mode.  They have even replaced the sound of USA coupling with a nice banging of the buffers!  My advice is to check the Soundtraxx website and download the appropriate (free) manuals.  They have conveniently printed a small Union Jack next to any item (e.g., whistles, etc.) that differs from the standard USA version of the decoder.

• 4 weeks later...

Just fitted one to a Hornby 4F (ex TTS) and a Bachmann "City of Truro" very good for the money, not quite as good as a ESU but at half the price one can't complain.

I find the Hornby 4F runs excellent, in fact better than the Bachmann,

There are a lot of adjustments that can be made, I really like the chuff sync to get the correct 4 beats per revolution.

I,m using a small sugar cube speaker in the City which I must admit surprises me how good the sound is, the Hornby is still using the factory speaker (will change)

I can certainly recommend this product and will purchase more.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for all those in the USA. I quote from an email I received today from Soundtraxx:

"These are technically available to the USA Dealers, but we have not openly announced these domestically."

And

"Discussions are being made now as to how to proceed to grow the awareness and sales of this product.  Some domestic dealers do have these on hand at this time.  Tony’s Train Exchange in VT, RMB/Bob the Train Guy in SC and others."

I saw them prominently listed on http://dccinstallsandsales.com/ (Front page) which prompted me to email Soundtraxx for the official answer. 

The exclusive relationship with Gaugemaster appears to have not worked well. (Paraphrasing the email and personal observation: I subscribe to BRM, Model Rail and Hornby magazine and I do not recall seeing an advert promoting these products. Was there even a review in these mags? I don't recall.)

Seems like Soundtraxx has been trying hard for a few years. Remember the abortive economy sound locos from Bachmann Branchline that never happened? They seem to have used the sounds promised for those locos for these decoders.

I use quite a few of their non-sound decoders as an affordable way to convert locos and they perform well. I also have some of their full-fat decoders in my HOn3 stuff, and they work really well.

Good news for all those in the USA. I quote from an email I received today from Soundtraxx:

"These are technically available to the USA Dealers, but we have not openly announced these domestically."

And

"Discussions are being made now as to how to proceed to grow the awareness and sales of this product.  Some domestic dealers do have these on hand at this time.  Tony’s Train Exchange in VT, RMB/Bob the Train Guy in SC and others."

I saw them prominently listed on http://dccinstallsandsales.com/ (Front page) which prompted me to email Soundtraxx for the official answer. 

The exclusive relationship with Gaugemaster appears to have not worked well. (Paraphrasing the email and personal observation: I subscribe to BRM, Model Rail and Hornby magazine and I do not recall seeing an advert promoting these products. Was there even a review in these mags? I don't recall.)

Seems like Soundtraxx has been trying hard for a few years. Remember the abortive economy sound locos from Bachmann Branchline that never happened? They seem to have used the sounds promised for those locos for these decoders.

I use quite a few of their non-sound decoders as an affordable way to convert locos and they perform well. I also have some of their full-fat decoders in my HOn3 stuff, and they work really well.

Interesting, as I'd noted Bob The train Guy had them on eBay and his web site last week. Wasn't going to mention it in case it was on the "QT"!

Beats having to order them from the UK, but so far he didn't have the 8-pin available only the wired version for the UK steam.

I'm not averse to hard wiring, done that with many locos, just would prefer the 8-pin for a couple of specific current requirements that are 8-pin equipped....

Interesting, as I'd noted Bob The train Guy had them on eBay and his web site last week. Wasn't going to mention it in case it was on the "QT"!

Beats having to order them from the UK, but so far he didn't have the 8-pin available only the wired version for the UK steam.

I'm not averse to hard wiring, done that with many locos, just would prefer the 8-pin for a couple of specific current requirements that are 8-pin equipped....

I had noted them on the DCC Installs and sales site, and knowing about the "UK ONLY" deal I asked Soundtraxx outright what the situation was without mentioning names. DCC Installs lists them as "special order", which is something I don't mind doing. Modelling British outline in the USA pretty much requires that, unless you order direct from someone like Hattons. Actually that I how I phrased my question: Does anyone sell them in the US as it is crazy to have to buy an American made product from overseas?

Evening all, so far the best price I can find these from a uk shop is £66. Most uk vendors are between £75-£80 which once you factor in a decent speaker and possibly a plug puts you almost in the ESU territory. I did look at the ebay option but the prospect of import taxes and vat make it look less competitive. Am I looking in the wrong place ?

Thanks

Chris

• RMweb Gold

And

Pretty sure these were reviewed in Hornby Mag around the start of the year

Pretty sure these were reviewed in Hornby Mag around the start of the year

I had forgotten about that review. I just re-read it. It was in April.

But it doesn’t change the fact that Gaugemaster seems disinterested. They don't even list Soundtraxx as one of the ranges they carry in their advertisement in the same magazine.

Evening all, so far the best price I can find these from a uk shop is £66. Most uk vendors are between £75-£80 which once you factor in a decent speaker and possibly a plug puts you almost in the ESU territory. I did look at the ebay option but the prospect of import taxes and vat make it look less competitive. Am I looking in the wrong place ?

Thanks

Chris

Probably won't save anything buying from the USA. Cheapest versions are the 21 pin ones at around $63, the others are more. Add shipping and VAT and potential hassles if you need to replace it then it is not worth it.

ESU and Zimo with UK sounds pretty much require purchasing from a UK source which gets expensive for us in the USA. I have the ESU programmer but the selection of free sounds on their website is very limited.

Alan

Although I haven't yet downloaded any of these onto a decoder, Digitrax seems to have quite the growing collection of UK "sound projects" for their sound decoders.  While most likely not of the caliber of Zimo and ESU, the price seems quite attractive.  Has anyone given these a go?

http://www.digitrax.com/sound-depot/list/

Alan,

If you have a lokprogrammer we offer a huge range of UK diesel and electric loco and multiple unit sounds, any if which we can send to you by email for a very reasonable price. Send me a PM for a list and details, or take a look at the DC Kits website.

Bif

• Like 1

Alan,

I can offer the same service (sound projects by email) for a wide range of UK steam and diesel prototypes for ZIMO decoders worldwide provided the recipient has, or has access to, one of the several ZIMO decoder programmers (MXDECUP, MX31ZL, MXULF or Roco Z21).

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick note:  As these Econami decoders come "loose wire" and many UK Bachmann & Hornby steam locos already have an 8-pin socket installed, Soundtraxx sells (in sets of four) 8-pin plugs onto which one solders the decoder wires.  Item number:  810123   Google it and you'll see better than I explained.

Probably won't save anything buying from the USA. Cheapest versions are the 21 pin ones at around $63, the others are more. Add shipping and VAT and potential hassles if you need to replace it then it is not worth it.

ESU and Zimo with UK sounds pretty much require purchasing from a UK source which gets expensive for us in the USA. I have the ESU programmer but the selection of free sounds on their website is very limited.

Alan

Alan

I tried using a ESU sound Decorder, bought in Canada, then tried to down load one of the free UK selection sounds only to discover that the North America ESU decoder will not allow uk sounds to be downloaded!

Nigel