Pacers coupled to Sprinters in regular workings?

FelixM

I used to see it quite often (15? maybe a few more) years ago on the Settle-Carlisle. Wouldn't fancy that distance myself on a Pacer, and indeed it was rather empty. I guess it was there to handle some commuter traffic on the way out of Leeds and they didn't really expect anyone to sit in the Pacer for the rest of the journey. I can't remember what Sprinter it was but probably a 156 (they were IIRC the usual ones at the time).

When I was based at Skipton, we had a booked 156+142 diagram from Leeds to carlisle at around 0855 from Leeds. We were booked to detach the leadinf unit at Carlisle, where it stood until returning on a late afternoon train. It was a rough ride if the 142 was leading!

When I was based at Skipton, we had a booked 156+142 diagram from Leeds to carlisle at around 0855 from Leeds. We were booked to detach the leadinf unit at Carlisle, where it stood until returning on a late afternoon train. It was a rough ride if the 142 was leading!

The Pacer only went to Carlisle to get it out the way, when I did it it was a 144 leading to Carlisle, the Pacer was (as you stated) left at Carlisle until working back to Leeds on a mid afternoon service so it was in position for a Peak hour service out of Leeds.

Edited by royaloak

Did that run in from Sheffield? Back in the late 90s/2000s I seem to recall a 156 that went through to Carlisle, but not as an advertised through service.

It used to land in one of those platforms that had been the old parcels bays. (W for example)