Jwnewall

Hello and welcome to the Weymouth Tramway Heritage Campaign!

We are campaigning to revamp the disused tramway into a unique heritage railway.The line is situated in Weymouth Dorset, and is the last surviving disused line of its kind in the country. We are trying to save the railway before it gets paved over, ripped up, or errodes to the point that it can’t be saved. This will be a great boost for tourism and will enhance public transport for Weymouth, its residents and connecting public transport to the ferry terminal.

In the first 6 hours of the campaign launch we gained 226 supporters. Currently of mid-August, we have over 1,500. We are supported by BBC South Today, Dorset Echo, WessexFM, South Devon Railway, Bluebell Railway, Severn Valley Railway, Dartmouth Railway, Isle of Wight Railway and many more associations!

If you would like to help further this cause, then please visit the following links:

http://weymouthquayheritagecampaign.jimdo.com/

https://www.change.org/p/weymouth-weymouth-quay-heritage-railway

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weymouth-Quay-Heritage-Campaign/1659439434292327

11899796_1673405126229091_59953973737772

Seriously, a good idea from a preservation point of view but in todays hectic world it might prove a little difficult.  The whole concept of a train ferry down the main street was a good one years ago but as most people show up in their cars, more space is needed for parking and railway rights of way are prime candidates.  With faster flights to the Channel Isles, most would opt for this method of travel.

Brian.

Rather reluctant to talk this down given the obvious enthusiasm of the organiser but suspect the reality of the situation would make this idea extremely difficult to realise. Apart from the obvious health and safety implications of trains and pedestrians in the same place there is the condition of the trackwork. Additionally the roads where the Tramway is are much more heavily used than they used to be when the tramway was operating. One section is now a major bus route and two car parks are also accessed along it's length. The two main shopping streets are now largely pedestrianised meaning the Tramway road is one of the main routes to access certain parts of the town.

Stu

Car parks im not so worried about, because there is a master plan for a huge car park nearby so. But I will admit, the buses is my main problem. There is probably a different route they can take, but that will be hard working with the bus company :/

• RMweb Premium

Maybe a test running trial event could be organized with a loco + brake van or railcar to evaluate the feasibility, safety & environment \ traffic impact.

Dava

Can I enquire how much engagement you've had with the Borough Council and Network Rail? Is there any interest and support for the scheme there?

I thought that the tramway had been sold to the Borough Council but Wikipedia says it didn't go through.

How would the acquisition and scheme be financed?

I'd love to see it happen but unless there's a will from those bodies it may all be for nought.

I can't really see how it would improve public transport. As a heritage line I think the big problem is that it would be a great attraction for spectators and photographers (as it was for me many years ago), but I can't see it attracting much revenue from riders.

Ed

@Andy Y We have got a few councillors involved but we are trying to get as much support so then we have a good image when we head of to Network Rail. The line is 'temporarily out of use' so there's no rush to close it. It was found out the payment never went through so Network Rail still own it. Fundraising is a problem but this project will take years so It will probably be funded by gofundme and stands at festivals etc that were are currently organising.

@Edcayton There is no public transport down the quay and will help transport on that side of town and down to the quayside.

Hello and welcome to the Weymouth Tramway Heritage Campaign!

We are campaigning to revamp the disused tramway into a unique heritage railway.The line is situated in Weymouth Dorset, and is the last surviving disused line of its kind in the country. We are trying to save the railway before it gets paved over, ripped up, or errodes to the point that it can’t be saved. This will be a great boost for tourism and will enhance public transport for Weymouth, its residents and connecting public transport to the ferry terminal.

In the first 6 hours of the campaign launch we gained 226 supporters. Currently of mid-August, we have over 1,500. We are supported by BBC South Today, Dorset Echo, WessexFM, South Devon Railway, Bluebell Railway, Severn Valley Railway, Dartmouth Railway, Isle of Wight Railway and many more associations!

If you would like to help further this cause, then please visit the following links:

http://weymouthquayheritagecampaign.jimdo.com/

https://www.change.org/p/weymouth-weymouth-quay-heritage-railway

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weymouth-Quay-Heritage-Campaign/1659439434292327

11899796_1673405126229091_59953973737772

You  claim  you  have  "support"  from  the  organisations  quoted.

Being  a  Board  member  of  one  I  can  assure  you  this  project  has  never  even  been  mentioned  let  alone  supported.

You  may  well  of  course  have  a  Facebook  like  from  one  or  more  of  our  members  speaking  for  themselves  but  this  is  not  support  from  the  organisation  itself  and  should  not  be  represented  as  such.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Its an interesting idea, but maybe you are looking at it from the wrong direction.... Would it be better to have it as a horse drawn tramway? This has two obvious advantages:

Firstly, the vehicles could be a lot smaller and lighter than railway vehicles. This is probably the most important thing here, as that trackwork is of indeterminate age, possibly sitting on rotten timber sleepers, that are very difficult to get at to replace.

Secondly, the vehicles will be a lot closer to the ground, so will be alot more accessable to the public, and will also have the advantage that the possibility of someone falling under them will be reduced.

It would be interesting to know under what system of 'protection' would have to be used if it re-opened. I'm guessing that you will not be able to remove the man with the red flag, as I'm guessing that that part of the act of parliment is still enforceable. Anyway wouldn't you want to include that as part of the heritage part of the line?

The use of open wagons would also possibly be contensious, especially if it rains. How are you going to cope with the drop down (very heavy) doors? Also you would require a run-round at each end as I can bet pushing the wagons won't be allowed! And that also would mean two brake vans (one each end) to avoid having to run them round too.

Have you spoken to the people that run the railway in Bristol Harbour, to see what they have to do to run their trains?

As for loans of stock, I'm not sure of what the cost involved in that are, but you will also have the issue that you are hard up against the coast, and I'm guessing that these days, not many groups will want to loan their expensively restored railway vehicle to a railway that has no covered storage, and worse still is hard up against a salt laden atmosphere.

Sadly I feel that at best you will be able to preserved the track in the ground and open a museum and tea-room, but I would love to be proved wrong.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Interesting.  Having recently been in Weymouth and having to make our way from the station to the quay an immediate thought that crossed my mind was that the train could possibly offer an alternative to the taxi ride which we took - a very romantic but regrettably impractical thought of course.  But having seen, and walked along, the quayside on a warm sunny summer day I am left wondering about the practicalities of this idea - in fact it was something I idly wondered about as we walked along part of the route on that day earlier this month.

Quite bluntly in the modern circumstances of safety consciousness and over-reaction I don't think such a railway would be allowed or if it was it would be subject to safety requirements similar to those applying to street tramways - and not those applicable to a normal railway.  Alas, for example,it simply wouldn't be good enough to say parents should keep their children under control  and - by implication - that it would be their fault if the child ran out in front of train, that simply won't wash in the 21st century.  So right from the start any scheme to reopen the tramway on a permanent basis under a new operator is going to require an extremely thorough review of the route and others using it and a professionally produced safety case and risk assessments - in my view nothing stands a chance of getting off the ground without that sort of work.

That leads me to the website where, regrettably, there is a lack of professionalism in presentation because although various factors are addressed there are grammatical errors and omissions in the text.  For the 'antis' this would almost be manna from heaven as they ask just how well thought out the scheme is and how professional would be the risk and safety assessments?  I'm not trying to shoot down the proposal but as it currently stands the presentation needs work to make it have a more professional and have less of 'railway enthusiast' face to it - no one is impressed by people who might be seen as wanting to play trains and some of the photos on the website might be taken to imply that is exactly what is in mind.

So let's assume the presentation is got right and professional safety studies and work are funded - what then?  Well it would be an unusual train ride with possibly some use for those wishing to get from the station to the beach or that end of the quay.  But that's really about it - the big question in my mind is could it survive as a tourist attraction?  And I don't know enough about the area to answer that although no doubt those with local knowledge will.  But in my view if it is to survive financially let alone prosper it has no choice but to run as a tourist attraction and I do wonder if it is long enough to justify the sort of fares needed for financial stability, or even security.

Thus I have doubts about the project but it might work - provided it shows the professionalism to gain and encourage local authority support before it gets that far with the wider population, especially motorists, taxi drivers, and quayside businesses.  However I still have serious doubts about how some aspects of it could be made ROGS compliant, particularly for street running.

@bike2steam Yes but locals have said they'll use it to go into town!

@IWCR When we mean support we mean that they have given us information to costs, and have shared on social media. Although this story has featured in the local news stations.

@uax6 That is a good idea. Were not having the 9 coaches long + class 33 diesel though :P . And as i stated its only an idea and things can change, this is the start of it ;) Bristol harbour are hard to contact. And your totally right if we can't do it we still want to have a museum and tearoom down the port! :P

@thestationmaster tourists and locals mostly have said they will use it. Unfortunately i cant explain about the grammar because some people say its bad and some say its most professional!

and we are working with other heritage railways to make a safty management system to hopefully get a very convincing case.

And about the length, there are many other heritage lines with even shorter services and or have no reason to go anywhere, for example Helston rly, Plym Valley rly, Bristol Harbour rly, Yeovil rly, Somerset & Dorset rly, East Somerset rly and this is only in the south west ive started on!

Well, the horse idea is really good. There is a plan b to have a Museum inside old carriages, tearoom at the ferry terminal (joint with the boat trip company) but having the horse carts would be a great addition to that. This will be taken into consideration I assure you ;)

What a lovely idea, but didn't we thoroughly discuss this before? ISTR a long topic on, perhaps in the archive, RMWeb.

It certainly gets my 'like' (obviously not on Facecrook but in the virtual somewhere in the world.

I remember this from the late 50's early 60's and always enjoyed following the train on my bike. Remember all the boxes of tomatoes being unloaded and fish from the boats. The town has changed very much from those days when it was common to see the odd car being bounced out of the way of the train.

I just cannot believe it is practical to do it without massive expense - well beyond what is possible from fund raising, and I cannot see the government chipping in!

I cannot even see it getting the support from the locals, many of whom really were glad to see the back of the trains, let alone officialdom, H&S, etc.

A pity and it is nice to dream, thanks for stirring the memories, but not again in my lifetime.

• RMweb Premium

Weren't there plans a few years back to take 1369 back there for a 'one off' event.

I can't remember why it didn't come to fruition

but I think that may have been something to do with 'Elf & Safety.

Archived