Layout Substructure ("Baseboard") Techniques and Materials

• RMweb Premium

The thicker materials sell more so can be purchased by retailers in bulk at better prices! There are also different densities of MDF, some can be very heavy! The dust from MDF isn't pleasant to work with so wear a good mask. It also is prone to taking on moisture, so no good for loft or garage layouts etc. I use 1/4" for my track beds and recommend a coat of primer to seal it. Haven't had any problems (touch wood) yet! Plenty of bracing helps stop any sagging. It makes great furniture and panel work though.

• RMweb Gold

I must admit that Wickes external plywood seemed to have improved in quality recently (and price), must be something to do with the Chinese not wanting to buy so much. I`ve brought some 9mm ply and lo and behold it was proper 5 ply, not the 3 ply and a lot of dubious filling that I purchased for a house project a couple of years ago. 

• RMweb Premium

Sadly the product had disappeared from the local Homebase when I next looked a few months later.

Presumably it didn't sell and the manufacturer/distributor, wasn't prepared or able to continue promoting it through that store group.

This is the correct stuff, used in industry and very, very durable.

http://www.richardsonsuk.co.uk/Aluminium-Tubes/p47?gclid=CPChifGBjskCFUafGwodAxgODw

Archived