Borders Railway Opening Weekend

'CHARD

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the reply but I am aware of the reasons but seeing the more humorous side of it.

Indeed - however there are many who do not have your professional knowledge in such matters and might assume that the underlying motives for the extensive use of Gibbon baskets represents something closer to incompetence or a deliberate desire to compromise the amount of double track provided.

If you know that it is working fine and looks fine then if it is going to take the same (evidenced) loads that it has done over the last 20 years+  e.g  HA +45HB then don't touch it unless you have evidence to the contrary (but keep an eye on it) - see BD79, which still has some of my bits in it.

Which doesn't really apply to the Borders Railway project. Until work started on the rebuilding the cuttings / embankments had not been regularly surveyed or monitored for long term stability / drainage issues so, even if you ignore the modern construction standards for the moment, the lack of such information would naturally force the project engineers to apply much shallower regards to slopes than are found on railways (or roads and canals for that matter) constructed more than a century ago. NR should have this data (although during their early years - plus during the days of Railtrack - and even the dying years of BR) such monitoring rather got forgotten about) so it is theoretically in a better position to look after steep slopes.

• RMweb Gold

I am no royalist but I am pleased that this reopening is being given the maximum possible public exposure with a visit from the Queen, especially on this historic day when she becomes the longest serving monarch.

But why oh why do we celebrate the opening of a new line by running a steam-hauled train? The event should be showcasing a modern train as well. But probably no hybrid SET/AT300 ready yet?

But why oh why do we celebrate the opening of a new line by running a steam-hauled train? The event should be showcasing a modern train as well.

Yup - my thoughts too. There to appeal to the rose-tinted amongst us. A brand new line should showcase brand new(ish) stock. I'm reasonably sure HM would have no objection to riding about on some plastic-built vinyl-covered multiple unit. I can have as many rose-tinted moments as anyone, but now that we're firmly into the 21st Century, why does it have to be 1952 every day?

Accompanying footage of 60009 simmering at the platform, we get this inane commentary on BBC News:

'The noise revving up as the engines get into position.'

Is it a train journey or a fly-past...??? :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Accompanying footage of 60009 simmering at the platform, we get this inane commentary on BBC News:

'The noise revving up as the engines get into position.'

They'll be telling us next that the driver of 60009 is steering the train onto the new line.

Compelling live footage of the Tweedbank meet and greet, including the loco crew.  

I hope the helicopter aerial VT is made available for the entire trip, far better way of looking at the route than on Google Earth.

• RMweb Premium

Yup - my thoughts too. There to appeal to the rose-tinted amongst us. A brand new line should showcase brand new(ish) stock. I'm reasonably sure HM would have no objection to riding about on some plastic-built vinyl-covered multiple unit. I can have as many rose-tinted moments as anyone, but now that we're firmly into the 21st Century, why does it have to be 1952 every day?

Why do royal events often seem to involve the Queen in a horse-drawn carriage? The modern stuff might be better suited for moving people around, it's not at pomp and ceremony.

Express Passenger 1Z13: non-stop TWB - EDB, timed for 52 minutes this afternoon, did the trip in 51.  Guessing this was 170414 clearing the various dignitaries and crowd away. 

Services are returning to their conventional pattern now.

• RMweb Premium

I've just noticed that Google Maps are half way there - they've got the stations marked, but they don't seem to be sitting on a railway, which is usually considered a fairly important feature of stations.

edit: Also see that's been mentioned on another thread, must keep up...

Frankly, it's nice to see a real locomotive and train in a spectacular landscape like this. Sorry, but a bit of CAD'd plastic can be had on the line every normal day. Whilst I personally am a confirmed republican these days, I think that for what became a state occasion it was the right call to have something on the head that imparts a bit of dignity and celebrates the engineering heritage of our respective countries whilst having a tangible connection with the old railway that existed here before. If Scotland were indeed a republic I would have expected a similar travel arrangement for the FM/PM/President (select head of state as appropriate). 

... I'm reasonably sure HM would have no objection to riding about on some plastic-built vinyl-covered multiple unit. ...

Every year she chooses to travel to Norfolk for the Christmas holidays on a very spartan Class 365, so I can't imagine she has very high expectations.

I think the choice of an A4 for the opening was rather lovely.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

There are always some folk who just seem to enjoy finding some negative aspect of any situation.

If you could give 1000 people (non railway enthusiasts) the choice of travelling in a special train behind an A4 in a Pullman carriage or in a modern DMU, just how many would select the DMU?

It is a choice between class, style and elegance and  functionality.

Her Majesty can always go back and have another ride on a DMU if she felt that she had missed out on something but if I was her, I wouldn't be too bothered.

Tony

The Queen thing

Excellent!  Thank you!

Love how Prince Philip pretends to be deafened by the three cheers!  The man's a comic genius!

And how the bonny young lady tries to get photographers away from the platform edge as 60009 departs!  Yes ma'am!!!!

Archived