Heljan 'O' Gauge 61xx Large Prairie

Guest 47107

Only that, to save time, plug and play makes sense in an RTR loco.  I hard wire my own kit builds and do prefer Zimo decoders these days.  However I also have other decoders fitted and one day I am going to have to rationalize the F buttons, probably using WiThrottle.

Do Zimo make a >1.5 amp sound decoder that plugs into the Loksound XL socket?  I can't find one.

Paul

• Like 1

Not much success with a 21 pin loksound decoder. It keeps tripping out so suspect it’s the motor current so now going to go for a Loksound L. Had a real game also with the back of wheels pickups as they were hardly touching. Removing the 4 screws that hold the base plate on gave me access to the wheels. Re tweaked the pick ups so they make more positive contact and refitted wheels by sliding a shim of nickel silver onto the pick up while wheels replaced. Fiddly but my avo and a bright light now says all wheels are making contact. There is space for a 23mm circular speaker in the chassis-pity this is not bigger. I am abandoning the idea of a stay alive in the bunker as the loksound L has stay alive built in plus running the cables to the bunker, even very fine cables, seems problematic.

So a pretty negative day I am afraid. Think the Loksound L is the way forward.

Edited by thestourbridgelion

An exchange of emails with John Gymer at Youchoos - Yes a Zimo can be fitted but with a different adapter board which is currently back-ordered from Zimo.  He says the motor needs 1.8 amp so a standard sound decoder for OO/HO is not going to be enough.  I have asked John to put me on a list for when all the Zimo parts are available.  He has done one conversion and it works, providing larger space for a decent speaker and stay alive.

Paul

• Like 2

Steve, how did you get rid of the original Heljan plates?

Thanks, Frank

I used a new Stanley blade to pry them off gently, there’s a pair of locating lugs on the back that fit in to a pair of holes

It’s quite easy to remove them just take it easy.

post-5983-0-08833000-1536931107_thumb.jpeg

Here’s 6165 now with some dirt and replacement tank lifting rings and filler lids

post-5983-0-33929600-1536931151_thumb.png

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 4

Received my model today. Un numbered early BR crest as requested. First impressions good heavy model. Quibbles-the moulded tank lifting eyes on top of the tanks, screw which holds bogies on quite small but hopefully ok, wheels look pretty good but delicate-think they would be on last turning size if this was a prototype. Within half an hour of opening the box had it to bits ( what are we like eh!) Came apart easy. Coal came out ok (the bit that protects the top rear lamp comes out which makes removing the coal load easier) and space underneath for a stay alive capacitor.

I am, however, quite perplexed by the fitting of a sound chip. I am not usually phased by these things but not come across quite this arrangement before and the instructions don’t say much. I assume the chip needs to be hard wired and soldered to the plate which had the blanking plate attached to? ( If anyone has any guidance would appreciate it) Unfortunately the chip I have is a 21 pin but I do have an ESU mounting plate for a 21 pin with tails so guess I should be able to do something just not sure that’s the most elegant method.attachicon.gifED251C3B-4019-4057-8ED4-23E315D15D07.jpeg

The decoder is a LokSound L decoder, not the 21Pin as everyone suggests.    Charlie/Legomanbiffo.

An exchange of emails with John Gymer at Youchoos - Yes a Zimo can be fitted but with a different adapter board which is currently back-ordered from Zimo.  He says the motor needs 1.8 amp so a standard sound decoder for OO/HO is not going to be enough.  I have asked John to put me on a list for when all the Zimo parts are available.  He has done one conversion and it works, providing larger space for a decent speaker and stay alive.

Paul

ESU 'L' Decoder which is a plug in fit for this loco is in stock and available.  Charlie-Legomanbiffo-Wheeltappers Steam Sounds

ESU 'L' Decoder which is a plug in fit for this loco is in stock and available. Charlie-Legomanbiffo-Wheeltappers Steam Sounds

At your website I could only find prices of the normal ESU Loksound decoder I assume(£110 and £115). Do you supply the ‘L‘ decoder with sound as well?

As you don't have a GWR Prairie sound, would you recommend another sound?

(SWD Manor or Wheeltappers Collett Goods perhaps?)

The chuff sounds maybe quite similar but do they have dual whistle sounds?

Edited by suomen
  • Like 1

The reasons I contacted Youchoos are:

I prefer Zimo decoders over Loksound - a person preference - but also because the set up recommended by Youchoos allows more room for a decent speaker and stay alive.

I also like the fact that Youchoos have samples of all their sounds on line.  I shall probably use the Hall sound files but I have yet to decide.  I plan to standardize all my functions to the same buttons on WiThrottle.

I do have a couple of Loksound chips on other locos and they work well so this is purely a personal thing for my current layout.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

ESU 'L' Decoder which is a plug in fit for this loco is in stock and available.  Charlie-Legomanbiffo-Wheeltappers Steam Sounds

Do you supply the ‘L‘ decoder with sound as well?

Mmmh - no answer here, no response on 2 emails. Is that a 'prevention of turnover' program?

A short answer like "We don't sell to Germany" would have been nice...

Edited by suomen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...