Appleton Yard - Painting modelu drivers...

rob D2

Some nice Transrail action there, Rob. As for the signs there's quite a few now on the platform ends on stations on the WCML. If it makes someone think twice then that can only be a good thing. Unfortunately I've had one under and it's not a pleasant experience.

Shame to hear you've lost interest in the plank as it was coming on really nicely. Looking forward to whatever you do next.

Cheers

Marcus

I'm sure my enthusiasm may well return. I'm concentrating on unfinished stuff, and assembling the stock for the next one at present.

Yeah, that can't be nice regardless. My brother in laws a MOM, so he's picked up the pieces more than once.

So day off today, bad weather so I didn't take the cube out for a cycle as I'd intended.

Did some more work on 683'

Toning down the weathering in the bogies to make it darker and also some work on the roof. I've discovered two areas I don't think I can recreate without an airbrush - roof exhaust staining, and snowplough splatter , anyway here we are so far

post-450-0-63794200-1485800035_thumb.jpg

Main work has been thinking about couplings . I quite like the idea of paper clips and magnets for hands free tension locks as described elsewhere, so I spent some time glueing paper clips to couplings, my hands, the floor and everywhere else.

I've also been experimenting with combining a sawn off Bachmann snowplough with a small tension lock. I like locos that had ploughs to have them as I think it looks ' cool ' or as cool as toy trains get ! I'm not bothered with all the bufferbeam detail as , to be honest , I normally knock it all off. I also don't want to go down the route of bufferbeam detail and then install a massive metal loop thing - I think that defeats the object. So this may work , ill see when the glue dries !

post-450-0-80442200-1485800272_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Transrail fetish getting out of hand.

Thanks to tractor-37260 for selling me another 37672. This will change identity in due course..I've already got the name plates from fox .

post-450-0-00501400-1486388288_thumb.jpg

These came too. Not easy to find in top condition anymore.

post-450-0-11387400-1486388392_thumb.jpg

I've almost got enough stock for a Cornish plank. Need a couple more CDAsand some of those clay tigers when KMRC put them out. Oh and maybe a EW&S 37 to ring the changes.

Ive got evidence that most of my existing 37s have worked into cornwall - the foreigners mainly on stoke services. The only one I can't find is 37116. I don't think the sister went on holiday !

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree......

I'm busy building the stock for the Cornish plank, which means the yard has temporarily moved to Plymouth or thereabouts .

I've just modified this 37 with new plates from Fox, didn't realise I'd run out of black TOPs numbers though so they are on order from Fox.

post-450-0-85736800-1487182426_thumb.jpg

37683 will become 37672 ( again, but the fox numbers are better than Bachmann so no bother ) and it may get the " freight transport association " plates as I like them. That would place it 1996-97. If I leave the plates off and just put MPD plaques on , that makes it 97-98.

I'd also like a couple of more Cornish tractors. From my existing stock 274/174/043 all made it to cornwall at one time or another. Also got 60026 which is suitable .

I'll be starting a thread on the Cornish plank pretty soon

• Like 6

Looking great Rob. How is the snowplough/coupling working out? I completely butchered a set from my new 37 trying to shoehorn them on to 50024 somehow but have gone back to the drawing board on that one so be interested to see how those work out. Liking the underframe dirt on the 37 as well.

Cheers

Stu

Looking great Rob. How is the snowplough/coupling working out? I completely butchered a set from my new 37 trying to shoehorn them on to 50024 somehow but have gone back to the drawing board on that one so be interested to see how those work out. Liking the underframe dirt on the 37 as well.

Cheers

Stu

They work ok, but they are a bit high off the track. A slightly more involved option will be required but strangely 683 won't need them when it becomes 672 again as not many Cornish ones had them

• 2 weeks later...

Took delivery of this today, from derails.

post-450-0-28406900-1488493084_thumb.jpg

It's a very nice looking loco, but slated to become 37669 with a nose change. Not sure I can bring myself to hack it up though...

Also got some of this, a lot cheaper on the Brooklyn trading website than their eBay page

post-450-0-43467200-1488493163_thumb.jpg

That's mainly for experimentation for the Cornish plank. Can't help but think that the scalescenes concrete colour paper is closer to worn concrete though, although lacking texture.

Current thinking will be to place brackets over the yard , and put another 10' x 18 " plank above this one. That'll be plenty for a china clay type set up.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues on wagons mainly.

I got some more wagon loads from " make your mark models " . Excellent service from them as usual.

This is industrial coal in MEAs

post-450-0-60481200-1489488069_thumb.jpg

I'm also working on the BDAs. Painted the decks, frame dirt on the...frames....still and. Long way to go. These eventually will get aluminium section as imported through hamworthy

post-450-0-36001800-1489488164_thumb.jpg

These are both generally more relevant to the new plank which will come late this year, early next maybe. It's about 50% designed in my head now.

As the summer gets closer I really must try my airbrush which I've had for a year since my last birthday and not used yet... as the weather improves the number one candidate after I've practised a bit is this,post-450-0-11394100-1489488332_thumb.jpg

Should be a relatively simple job to make loadhaul black and orange. But first the horn recesses must be totally sanded flat, and the roof vents made and replaced

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Two of my favourite liveries ....

post-450-0-27421400-1490367026_thumb.jpg

Started messing about with the plank again. I was never happy with that bridge and there was just too much track. I also can't really see the merit of 5' fiddle yard and 5' scenic.

So rather than begin a new layout just yet , I'm going to use the front bit of the fiddle yard to make a scrap yard , fed by a single line off the loop.

I really fancy a scrap yard for some reason. I've brought an EWS 66 off eBay so that can run some scrap trains.

post-450-0-87650600-1490367211_thumb.jpgpost-450-0-47443900-1490367231_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

More nice stuff I see Rob :good:

Just had good catch up here..

Nice stuff and a shed..!

I think I have enough locos for a plank now.

I won't be posting much as we come into the good weather, as holidays and getting on the bike will take preference.

attachicon.gifIMG_8639.jpg

Well that's the beginning of the end then !

I've got a plank in a shed, but I wouldn't put a shed on a plank. You are teetering at the top of a very slippery slope, Rob...

:jester:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

It's been awhile. I'm still at it sporadically but I'm mainly concentrating on improvements to rolling stock.

I'm slowly filling all my wagons with resin loads from " make your mark models "

I also actually won something on eBay - a loadhaul 60. I've been after one for ages.post-450-0-06216400-1493137467_thumb.jpg

This one was actually surprising as it was weathered already and had a decoder in it. Which wasn't mentioned on the description, but the weathering is nice so that's fine.

post-450-0-55910900-1493137559_thumb.jpg

I now have all the " modern image " locos I ever invisaged for planks - 7x 37, 1x47, 1x56,2x 60 and a red death as well !

One thing I have been experimenting with is a mix of black pastel and paint on roofs.

It didn't really have the desired effect of exhaust but could be useful as a weathered metal effect maybe

post-450-0-30283400-1493137706_thumb.jpg

My chair decided to dump all the air out of the strut, thus I now sit at eye height to the plank. One thing I immediately noticed is how much I hate seeing the brass pickups on bogies through the sideframes so I've been painting those black.

post-450-0-67319700-1493137810_thumb.jpg

This is the loco shelf

post-450-0-61362100-1493138001_thumb.jpg

Sister Dora in to finally try and gets the lights working - although it appears that's a chassis problem. I was also looking at t cutting the testers dull coat off and doing it in satin instead but that would be a big job.

Dunno why people rave about testers - it's very flat but very patchy with a dodgy patina I find.

37516 - behind still in progress.

47078 - BR blue fleet is getting some work and weathering too.

Layout wise - no progress . I've absolutely no mojo for building buildings at present.

I'm not sure whether to change the plank or go straight to a new idea

For modern I have in my head - either Cornish , West Midlands or a better take on Home Counties. For BR blue I like the idea of somewhere west like tenby ( but unless I can run full length passenger , blue era loses some of its appeal )

That's it for now ..post-450-0-77327100-1493138371_thumb.jpg

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 7

Rob - why don't you think about a track layout that is flexible and can be multi era with the change of structures.  When operating PMPs Albion Yard for the first time I was surprised how it was a plain chassis with all buildings and even trees "plonk and play".

https://albionyard.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/img_8878.jpg?w=640&h=625

I was also impressed with the track layout with 2 run-round loops, especially the geometry created by using Y-Points.

https://albionyard.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/img_7790.jpg

As a sectorisation modeller I find Ringburn Yard vey pleasing (pun intended!)

http://www.staffordforum.com/xf/index.php?threads/sat-2-feb-2013-stafford-railway-circle-exhibition-stafford-showground.10969/

Hope to catch up soon - perhaps at the Kemble Café ?

Melly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Rob! Completely agree on the brass pickups, makes such an improvement! I've had similar experience with Testers, most disappointing, reluctantly have gone back to Railmatch aerosol varnishes, they used to block regularly (despite following procedures) - had some bad luck recently with Humbrol aerosol varnishes giving a patchy finish!

For the exhausts, one tip I read about and use these days is adding just a smidgen of oily blue to the exhaust weathering, well worth a bit of experimenting!

Have you got any more classic 90s locos following these?